Light-O-Rama Forums

2015.....What will you change?

dbltrukr1

Adding two spiral tree's, reducing the excessive amount of lights I've put on my mini tree's (this will enable me to double my mini tree's using the same amount of lights), changing from 5 segment arches to 7, adding a sub panel box into my garage, and adding a star on my roof. Will be adding 32 channels to the show.

Haha I figured you'd see the light, lol, on the mini trees. I'm sure those suckers were bright thou

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lightzilla

• oilmoney

• bhunt240

• SparkDr

Get the Grid finished... 400 Lights 5' apart each on 100' strings that are WS2811(I call them Kaleidalights. Having 400 all together in a living room changing colors will give a blinky Flashy overload.) and redo the 5 trees with Icicle LEDS and RGB.

Three things on my list for next year...boost the pixel tree up off the ground so that people can see it easier. Possibly build a horizontal matrix using pixels. Lastly, on the great chirstmas light fight show, one guy had a tree "star" that had lots of colors within that I really liked. Just a guess that he was using pixels in the twinkle mode but somehow softened them too.

For the first time in  6 years, I plan on changing nothing!!!

Except spending more time doing better sequences...

The wife told me what she would like to see in next years display, I like it when she does this..... It always means more controllers and more lights, and she cannot complain too loud because its her idea. I am rebuilding my current arches with more lights and adding 4 more arches. Changing color on my current 8 mini trees from white to blue and adding 8 more trees. Adding blue to my 5' trees (already have red & green on them). Outlining windows with red, green and blue instead of multi-color. 

Haha I figured you'd see the light, lol, on the mini trees. I'm sure those suckers were bright thou

They were extremely bright, in the videos i've made you can't hardly tell there are different colors because of the sheer output. Next year i'm gonna drop the light count to approx 1000-1500 (see what it looks like). Doing this will enable me to double my mini tree count and still have lights left over for future fixtures. 

I'm adding a 16 ribbon or pixel strings tree. Haven't decided between ribbon or pixel bulbs. Also adding 4 pixel arches and a 20' regular mega tree. Adding additional 48 channels. First step with rgb's

They were extremely bright, in the videos i've made you can't hardly tell there are different colors because of the sheer output. Next year i'm gonna drop the light count to approx 1000-1500 (see what it looks like). Doing this will enable me to double my mini tree count and still have lights left over for future fixtures.

why define your display for a video(small audience) rather than your larger audience which is your main viewers?

Because I think splitting the lights up with actually enhance the show. Who knows maybe after 2015 I go back, but for now its half the lights and double the mini trees.

Everything.  I'm not 100% scrapping all the work I've done over the past few years, but most of it.  My move from PA to GA has changed the physical space I have.  I used to have 3.5 acres and was trying to fill as much space as I could.  This year I was in a rental house, so it was just hodge podge, but next year we'll be in our new home.  We'll only have .66 acres.  I've got 2 LOR controllers, so I run 32 channels.  I have about 7 songs programmed for that.  So I'll keep those, as I put a lot of time into them.  I'll find a way to incorporate the same physical layout since the channels were programmed using that layout in mind.  But beyond that, I'm starting completely over.  New layout, new everything.  Actually looking for ideas and inspirations.  The winner of the 2013 Crazy Christmas Light Fight on ABC lives 30 minutes from me and has very graciously invited me to come see "behind the curtains".  I have no illusions of doing what he does, but if I can pick pieces or just find inspiration in things I can do...

2015 will be my second year....so i dont even know where to start upgrading.

I did buy enough lights to enlarge the mega from 16' to 28' yesterday, ill probably add some more mini's (8 currently), ive built one 8' rgb spiral tree i plan on making one more and adding them, i bought about 40 candy canes for the front fence yesterday, i want to change to roof grid, and add a 16' pixel tree.

Also i use rgb floods for halloween so i think ill leave them set up next year and sequence them into the Christmas show.

I started with 80 channels this (my first) year....that may end up doubled by next year lol.

I added two coro singing faces this year.  That took a controller.  I'm not pleased with the result.

I think I'll replace the faces with 16 mini trees next year.  Looking for tomato cages now.  Any suggestions on size?

If you are running tomato cages, what size do you use and how many lights per 'tree'?

I think the cages I used were 42". Find a friend with a welder to weld the tips into a point. They're relatively cheap, I think I paid $7 ea. I made 4ch trees RGBW with 800 C6 bulbs per tree. I now have 13 of them ( 1 spare ) and will be building another 12 to 15 of them to have a tree wall across my whole yard. Here's 12 in action if yo wish to see....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEv733_9_tQ

this year i added 4 7ch arches and 2 spiral trees that are 16ch single color...

next year i plan to change my 9 mini trees from single color to 3 or 4 color and maybe add 7 more to be an even 16ch per color

i want to make the spiral trees 3 colors

add more strobes

4 outward facing flood lights

hopefully covering my roof with thousands and thousands of 50ct leds in 3 colors 

rgb flood light pack from lor

Here's what the outward facing floods and 4ch per mini tree look like if you want to see..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSNV67lZro4

Edited by oilmoney

WOW. What a year but upgrades has already started as you can see with the list below.

1. Remove 32 channels of LOR on the roof and go fully RGB with 4000 and run Gifs of live Nativity Scene's on the roof when needed. This will be 80 sticks of 50 if LOR can support it.

2. Redo my mini trees with cages and RGB which are 12 of them in wireloom.

3. Change rectangles on Seizure Star to nodes- Rectangles look great but this is the second year they leaked in water. Time for change or Build a roof over it.

4. Get better in Sequencing the items !!!!

Big plans for 2015... going to move all six of our 54" tomato cage spiral trees about five to ten feet each.

Whew, I'm exhausted thinking of how much work that's going to be. ;)

Here's what the outward facing floods and 4ch per mini tree look like if you want to see..

Thank you!! What floods do you have facing out???

• The topic was locked