Light-O-Rama Forums

Success!

CanelaLights

First year, 32 channels, and programming since May.  10,260 LED lights later (only the strobes are not LED), Canela Lights are up and running!!! I still have a few things to shore up; after 1500 feet of SPT1, I had to resort to linking extension cord after extension cord to do the test run and some of my strobes are not working.

I have to say that the Easy Linkers are the Bomb-dot-com.  I don't think running CAT5 across the entire house would have been very efficient.  These little wireless boxes make the WORLD of difference! 

Check out the first video at facebook.com/CanelaLights.

10,000+ LIGHTS - I'm sure your show looks awesome.

Problem - I don't facebook, tweet or twit.... so I can't see it.

Could you post a youtube or vimeo link?

• Like 1

I will post videos this weekend once I can get my camera on a tripod.  I only took a short one with my phone. 

I have uploaded it to YouTube:

Edited by CanelaLights
  • Like 1

It looks good.  Its my first year and I'm doing 32 channels but I've only got about 4k lights.  After a weekend of being up on a 20' extension ladder in the rain I would give anything for a ranch like that. 

• Like 1

I may get beat up for this but here goes.    It seems like a large percentage of newbies, including myself, like to use the fast blinky "seizure" sequencing.  Like I said, I did the same thing my first year.

May I suggest that you use more fades and throw in some chases.   In my opinion, it will make your show much better.   There are spots that you can use the fast blinky lights, but not all the time.   Don't take this as criticism but rather as a tip from a person who has done this for 4 or 5 years.  Some folks that stop by my display have even told me how much better it looks with they fades and how much better they like it.      Again, not trying to be the bad guy, just trying to help out a bit.

Done,   now let the beat down of me begin. :)

I actually thought the same thing, a bit too flashy for my own taste; it looks much more subdued on the visualizer. Moreover, I was not sure I could get as many full waves as I actually ended up getting over the past 6 months or so. This is one of my earlier sequences so my effects were more on/off as opposed to the other effects (twinkle, shimmer, etc.).

It may be a newbie thing, but it is much more helpful when you see the sequence in the environment it is meant to be in.

For example, my neighbors have not turned on their lights yet either and my display looks much brighter than it will after Thanksgiving when they do. Our lots are small (less than 1/4 acre) and there is definitely a glow that comes from mainly across the street, where my neighbors completely decorate their house in warm white incandescent, to the tune of about 20k+ bulbs. Although the show is very "active," anyone who works in lighting will tell you that the existing ambient lighting plays a big part.

Circling back, I would not have posted the video if I did not want to receive criticism.

I will go back and touch up my sequences as I see them played, but they will stay flashy for now as I am kind of crunched for time. Our shows start the night of Thanksgiving. Luckily I used my laptop instead of the mini director, so the changes will take effect as soon as I save them.

i second that. too busy a sequence and you lose some of the big moments. i started incorporating whole house fades.

Actually, for that song "Sand Storm", it's supposed to be blinky. No getting around that.

Looks good. Don't worry about adjusting it. Majority of the "Sand Storm" sequences are the same.

When you get a chance, show us a more Christmas spirit song to give a true critique.

I agree with Santos A. Halper (Simpsons anyone?)..  The song by nature is essentially just a long intro segment followed by 3 minutes of techno beat box.  I've watched a ton of newb videos and this one was pretty good I thought.

I too would like to see something more in season.  

I am not saying he did not do a good job, I was just saying fades and chases can be your friend.  That song does need some fast blinky but you can use fades in parts of it.