Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Ribbon Length

tanganyikawp

I was hoping someone(s) could provide some feedback in regards to if I am on the right track.  This is my first experience with RGB.

I have a 192' span (12 stands) I wanted to use LOR RGB ribbon for.  I planned on using the CMB24D as the controller. 

From what I gather, each strands pulls 20 watts each for a total of 240 watts.  Obviously, there would be a loss over that span, so I added 20% to wattage for a total of 288 watts.  The ribbon is 12V, so we would need 24 amps total.   The CMB24D specs say it allows 4 amp per each 24 individual channels.  I assume that is 4 amps for each red, green and blue.  That would mean one RGB channel is 12 amps?

I figured I would split the distance in the middle and use one RGB channel for each half.  Assuming I would only need 2 channels for the RGB ribbon, I would make the CMB24D more central for other various RGB options.  That would mean there would be a 15' distance between the CMB24D controller and the start of the light strands.

Given the information above:

1. Am I on the right track?

2. Do you think one CMB24D RGB channel would handle 6 strands of LOR RGB lights?

3. If no, what setup would you recommend?

Where in the stream is it best to inject the power?  Do you do it at the end of each string?  In the middle of each string?

Is there a good tutorial/video on this topic that anyone knows about?

I think ive read 5 strands is about the max before voltage drop gets bad. So you "might" be able to get away with power on each end.

I just tested this out and a 5 meter (16 feet) RGB strip loses about 1 to 1.5 volts by the end of the strip...   if you connect 2 strips together it will lose 2 to 3 volts by the end of 10 meters..  all this is determined by the PCB board used for your RGB strip, the more copper used the better...  I bought these to inject power at the end/beginning of every strip and ran 12 volt power to each. I have 16 5 meter RGB strips being run of 1 CMB24D around my house under the eve's..  I have my power supplies running at 13 volts so the power run to the the beginning strip is 12 volts when it reaches it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161288016172?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=460324665595&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I would be inclined to say that you are runing the risk of melting the tracks of the first couple LED strips.

The safe bet would be to run multiple lines and break up that long strip.