Light-O-Rama Forums

Extension cords

Drac

Thanks guys.

Haven't started on RGB yet.  Holding off on that for the first season.  Want to get the basics in.  Lights, arches, mini trees, ect.  Main thing will be setting up a show.  I figure after the first season I will rip it all out and start over from scratch.  By keeping it modest I'm hoping to have little that is waste.  That way it's a matter of growing verses throwing away.

This is what I'm picturing for my first year -

Ideas_zps09fcf498copy_zps3c445b90.jpg

Aming for two controllers with 32 zones.  I have two spare at the moment so may add a couple snow flakes to the roof.

Jim

So it appears your mega tree is going to be all one or two colors since you only have two channels reserved for it. After I relook at it, you don't show channels 15-16 so maybe that will give you two more for the tree.

I'm planning on a 10' tree alternating red and white.

Yep, right now I have 2 spare channels.  I figured that it would be better to save them until I get closer and either add a couple more mini trees (I read somewhere that 4 are a better setup), a couple more in the mega (is 10' mega? :D) to have again 4 zones or two snow flakes on the roof then to thow something in there just to use up two zones.

Don't know if it's easy to see but right now I am planning to place the two controllers against the wall just to the right of the breezeway.  That places them about 15' from the plugs (without rewiring the outside, a future project) and within 20' of pretty much everything in the yard.

Jim

Jim,

Allocating 100% of your channels is something you may want to avoid. It is always a good idea to have spare channels in your display. It give your the ability to fairly quickly recoup if something does go wrong with a channel.

Something to consider as you grow, Rick Williams of Quartz Hill Christmas put together a spread sheet that I started using 10 years ago and now cannot do my display without it. A sample of one of my yearly copies is on my web page in the How-To section if you want to take a look at it. Rick came out with the 50 channel version after he got tired of fixing the bastardized 25 channel version I used and hammered. I modified Rick's XLS even further to account for my power and extension cords. It keeps a nice reference from year to year, even though vignettes in my display are constantly moving in my yard, usually the controller always goes with those moves. The nice thing about that spread sheet is you know exactly what your load per channel/controllers are, making you more comfortable using SPTx cords.

Not sure why you would want to rip out everything you do this year for RGB next. RGB can be used to emphasize things you already have, without starting all over.

Here is a direct link to Quartz Hill, it is also on linked from my How-To page.

http://www.quartzhillchristmas.com/12.html

Edited by zman
  • Like 1

Thanks for the charts.  Should help in planning things out.

I'm not going to throw everything I'm doing this year away but I don't want to jump into a $4K on just a tree alone before learning how all this works and gets a handle on it.  The stuff I've tried to stick with is basic stuff that should be used each year and grow from.  I don't even have a controller yet and this is going to be my first year.

Jim

I'm planning on a 10' tree alternating red and white.

Yep, right now I have 2 spare channels.  I figured that it would be better to save them until I get closer and either add a couple more mini trees (I read somewhere that 4 are a better setup), a couple more in the mega (is 10' mega? :D) to have again 4 zones or two snow flakes on the roof then to thow something in there just to use up two zones.

1 Don't know if it's easy to see but right now I am planning to place the two controllers against the wall just to the right of the breezeway.  That places them about 15' from the plugs (without rewiring the outside, a future project) and within 20' of pretty much everything in the yard. 

Jim

Just a Suggestion but maybe you could put Controller #2 (Channels 17-32) behind the bush that uses Channel 5 on Controller #1. It would save you 16 Extension Cords (Minus the Cord(s) you need to feed the Controller), and it would still be out of the way of the show. Just a suggestion. 

Also Are you planning on using LEDs, Incandescent or a mixture of both? (Just keep in mind some LEDs can't be dimmed). If you are using LEDs then you probably only need one extension cord feeding each Controller. 

-Chris-

Try looking at getting your plugs and wire from Creative Displays Inc. Right now the vampire plugs for the SPT1 zip cord is $6.00 for a package of 10. The SPT1 wire is $200 for a 1000ft roll. Their summer sale sounds like will be starting next week so these prices will be even lower. Paul and his company is very helpful.

Home Dpot was $46.00 for a bag of 100 vamp plugs and $32.50 for 250 ft of spt 1 wire.

Just a Suggestion but maybe you could put Controller #2 (Channels 17-32) behind the bush that uses Channel 5 on Controller #1. It would save you 16 Extension Cords (Minus the Cord(s) you need to feed the Controller), and it would still be out of the way of the show. Just a suggestion. 

Also Are you planning on using LEDs, Incandescent or a mixture of both? (Just keep in mind some LEDs can't be dimmed). If you are using LEDs then you probably only need one extension cord feeding each Controller. 

-Chris-

Will be a combo of LEDs and incadescent.  The arches I do have all LEDs so I was hoping to use one cord. 

I'm not sure how I could eliminate the extension cords by placing it near the arches.  I understand I can shorten the cords but unless I put all the plugs where the two meet and put the controller right there wouldn't I still need to run them over to the controller if it is more then a couple feet away?

THanks,

Jim

I buy cords for 12' and shorter (can't make them cheaper than when they are on sale at Home Depot and other places). For longer I make them.

I try to keep all my runs to less than 30' to avoid flickering on my LEDs.

Will be a combo of LEDs and incadescent.  The arches I do have all LEDs so I was hoping to use one cord. 

I'm not sure how I could eliminate the extension cords by placing it near the arches.  I understand I can shorten the cords but unless I put all the plugs where the two meet and put the controller right there wouldn't I still need to run them over to the controller if it is more then a couple feet away?

THanks,

Jim

Ya sorry i meant it would shorten them. But you wouldn't need to make them if you just bought short indoor general purpose cords. 

Home Dpot was $46.00 for a bag of 100 vamp plugs and $32.50 for 250 ft of spt 1 wire.

That's still $1.70 for a 6ft cord & $2.48 for a 12ft cord.  Tax & labor not accounted for & that's assuming just 1 outlet & 1 plug per cord..

Edited by Liberty-Laser

That's still $1.70 for a 6ft cord & $2.48 for a 12ft cord.  Tax & labor not accounted for & that's assuming just 1 outlet & 1 plug per cord..

Just passing on the info for those who like the neatness of custom cords and the lengths of the runs from the controllers.  Good luck with your display this year!

• 4 weeks later...

I have found the spt plugs on HD website but not wire.  I usually buy mine at Christmaslightshow.com  I love their stuff, fast service and great customer service. 

Just made 2 dozen extension cords using SPT-1 and vampire plugs.. They work great  because you can make them to any custom length......Then I painted the controller # and the item on the plugs  ie  Arch segment # , Pole segment #.....

Will make set up so easy.....

If all goes well I will be picking up 1000' of cord plus plugs Sunday.  Starting to come together.

Jim

Well 1000' didn't last long.  Got the 8 for the singing pumpkin, 10 for the "chorus" of pumpkins & tombstones, 2 for the ghosts and 5 short ones for the C9 lighting of the pumpkins.  Still need to get another roll in for the 4 for the bats and 4 for the "backup singer" pumpkins.

As small as my yard looked it's a lot bigger then we thought :(

Jim

Found some 50 foot extension cords on Amazon for only $16. 

Just found some 50 foot extension cords on Amazon for $16.

Thx.

Right now I'm debating on the moving the controllers out into the yard vs keeping them next to the house.  Makes more sense to have them closer to the props.  I was just hesitant to put them out visible in the yard.

Jim

Well 1000' didn't last long.  Got the 8 for the singing pumpkin, 10 for the "chorus" of pumpkins & tombstones, 2 for the ghosts and 5 short ones for the C9 lighting of the pumpkins.  Still need to get another roll in for the 4 for the bats and 4 for the "backup singer" pumpkins.

As small as my yard looked it's a lot bigger then we thought :(

Jim

I'm sorry did I miss something, Are you doing a Halloween show as well as a Christmas show?

-Chris-