Light-O-Rama Forums

Extension cords

Drac

Hello all,

With the June sale pending soon I will be picking up a couple controllers.  Starting small with 32 channels and hope to build on in the future but while dreaming my grand dreams of neighborhood fame (or the most annoying neighbor on the block) I started to think about how to connect the lights to the controllers. 

That's a lot of extension cords.

So where do you folks get yours?  Am I thinking wrong that I need a cord for each zone?  How do you (especially those who live in the south with 110+F garages) store and maintain them?

Thanks,

Jim

• Like 1

Lookup vampire plugs, those combined with bulk wire purchases can save you a lot of money

Jim those are the ones like have used for three seasons now. As long as your controllers are plugged in to a gfci outlet those are fine. Also use 18 gauge spt 1 2 conductor wire. Place your controllers as close to your props as possible.

Thanks.

My front yard isn't to big.  I think the furthest point is 20' from center where I was planning to setup the controllers. 

Jim

Go direct to them

www.vampireplugs.com

Also a really good write up over at Planet Christmas

• Like 1

So looking at those can you put multiple plugs on one cord?  Looks like if I had 5 bushes in one zone (not really but just an example :D ) with 5 nets I would put 4 plugs inline and one at the end?

Thanks,

Jim

You can put multiple female plugs along the extension cord, anywhere you need them, not just on the end.

Also, from experience, you really need to plan where the controllers are going to be and your complete layout - now (it is kind of hard to do your sequencing without your layout planed anyway). I used way more wire to create extension cords my first year than I ever expected. It is better to have too much than to find yourself short.  I have overt 2000 ft of extension cords. Only 2 controllers. 

Also in general, do lots of research on the forums. 

If you live near a Menard's, they have cords on sale every November (1st-30th) for $0.88.  Hint, don't wait until late in the month.

Jim,

SPTx cord is fine for what we need it to do. Just ensure you understand your loads you put on the cords. SPT1 is rated for 7 amps and SPT2 for 10 amps. If you are in a cold climate, you can probably push that a bit, but why?

If I had to do it all over again, I would buy good quality 14/3 extension cords for my power grid to my controllers. I use red, or blue for these so I can identify them quickly. (I do have this today).

I would MAKE all my cords, and never buy any. Keep then consistent lengths, 6-10-15-25 etc... and store them by size. I standardized on SPT2 years ago to be compatible with store bought lamp cords. You can find those on sale cheaply, then as pointed out above you can add vamp plugs on those if you need a harness.

I would not buy regular cords no matter how cheap. The PITA is the storing. They are heavy and take up a LOT of room. I now store my cords in roll about 50 gallon garbage cans and roll them out to where I am setting up.

Keep an eye out on the forums. Vamps and SPT goes on sale too. I keep about 1000' on hand at all times.

Edited by zman

Try here: http://radiant-holidays.com/radiant_holidays/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7&zenid=564b1d6da522781a531ec896b0b553e9

i have purchased SPt-2 wire from them twice and all the vamp plug I need.

seem to be the best price i have found, they also have pre-sales in January. dont forget to start looking at the end of December and January for pre-sales on lights, cords, props and what nots.

I originally purchased store made extension cords, after i bought some SPT-2 wire and made my own custom length I have changed strictly to Spt-2 wire. Much nicer to use what you need and not have a big loop of extra extension cord rolled up sitting on the ground.

...Keep then consistent lengths, 6-10-15-25 etc... and store them by size....

I don't understand.  SPT is great for unique lengths and for multiple items plugged along a single cord.  How is SPT better for standard lengths?  it's not cheaper.

Tim,

Sorry, I may have not been clear. SPTx is great for custom lengths and multiple taps. I make cords with it, but I keep them to standard lengths rather than making a bunch of random cord lengths.  That way unless you specfically mark which vignette or light they go to, it is easier for me to grab an armful of 25' when I know that vignette needs that length. It just simplifies things.

Thanks for clearing that up Mark.  I attempt to separate my cords, but every year they seem to end up on the same pile as I rush to tear down the display - usually because bad weather is quickly moving in.

I purchased my vamp plugs male & female  and my spt 1 wire from HomeDepot on line, got free shipping and the best price on cord & plugs!

I've never looked for wire from them, but I agree - HD is the best price on the m/f plugs that I've found anywhere in a long while.

And how strange that Home Depot, of all places, had the lowest price...

Anyone know if maybe the earth shifted on it's axis or something while we weren't looking???

• Like 2

Try looking at getting your plugs and wire from Creative Displays Inc. Right now the vampire plugs for the SPT1 zip cord is $6.00 for a package of 10. The SPT1 wire is $200 for a 1000ft roll. Their summer sale sounds like will be starting next week so these prices will be even lower. Paul and his company is very helpful.

• Like 1

Jim,

If you have multiple cords going from a controller to a display, i.e. one for red, one for green, etc, I bundled those extension cords together using velcro one wrap. The nice thing about this is when I lay out my cords to a set of lights, I only do it once instead of multiple times for each color. I use a piece of velcro around the bundle of cords about every couple of feet. This keeps the bundle of cords together but also gives them ability to slide back and forth a little. Each end of each cord is labeled. The male plug has the controller ID (8-15) on it and the female plug has the light string code (GE Right Grn- for Garage Eave right side Green lights). I found this helpful when trying to run extension cords under the eaves on the 2nd story. I can run a bundle of 12-16 cords at one time instead of moving the ladder and going up and down on it 12-16 times. The cords are all custom length so there is very little excess cord to contend with. I even have my light strings bundle too. When I store them for the summer the lights stay bundled so in the fall I pull out a bundle, see where it goes and lay it out or hang as needed. I can pull out of storage, hang and plug in all of my 16K lights and their extension cords to the 12 controllers and be ready to test within a three day weekend.

We use 16 Gauge SPT-2 Lamp Wire from Home Depot. Instead of Vampire plugs we just buy 6ft or 12ft, brown, 2 prong, indoor, General Purpose cords (The ones that you commonly use for lamps) and just cut it in the middle and add in the required length of SPT-2 wire in between the 2 ends. Of Course this requires soldering so if your not comfortable with soldering its probably better to use the Vampire Plugs. And also we use Heat Shrink tubing and a heat gun to insulate the connections.

I've never looked for wire from them, but I agree - HD is the best price on the m/f plugs that I've found anywhere in a long while.

And how strange that Home Depot, of all places, had the lowest price...

Anyone know if maybe the earth shifted on it's axis or something while we weren't looking???

My thoughts EXACTLY. 

Ask NASA They should know.

-Chris-

Edited by cgreenfield