Light-O-Rama Forums

Note from a viewer

dsz071

I had a visitor knock on the door after watching the Christmas Can Can talking trees and said he was offended at the Jewish remark in the song.

The remark is at 1:32 if you watch the video.

This was my show on a friends house, so my friend wanted it removed.

Reluctantly, I removed it from the lineup.

Shucks.

How hard was it to program those trees? Took  a long time i bet.

How hard was it to program those trees? Took  a long time i bet.

Not hard, just cut and paste from an existing sequence sold by Holidaycoro.com

If it were my house, I would've asked the person "Doesn't your religion teach tolerance of others? Even to tolerate us over-the-top Lighting Geeks?"

Oh well.

Not hard, just cut and paste from an existing sequence sold by Holidaycoro.com

If it were my house, I would've asked the person "Doesn't your religion teach tolerance of others? Even to tolerate us over-the-top Lighting Geeks?"

Oh well.

I may have to look into those, see if i cant find a pre program for Oh Christmas Tree.

As a Christian, and maybe not what some might call a good one. Ya I have issues. LOL

But I do like to run that one song "Christmas with a Capital C". Does a good job of telling those who are intolerant of Christmas to put a helmet on it.

I had a visitor knock on the door after watching the Christmas Can Can talking trees and said he was offended at the Jewish remark in the song.

Shucks.

Thanks a lot. I showed my wife the taking trees, now i am going to have to build 2 more 16 channel controllers.

As a Christian, and maybe not what some might call a good one. Ya I have issues. LOL

But I do like to run that one song "Christmas with a Capital C". Does a good job of telling those who are intolerant of Christmas to put a helmet on it.

I like Kung Po Buckaroo Holiday

Shucks.

SO the software sequenced the tree program with the other lights? I like that. especially seeing as howi am going to buy the super star sequencer. 

The backhanded compliment that I always get is how nice it must be to have so much time to spare lol  Kiddos do love the inflatables, I put one on the side of the house, a peanuts one, and one in the area at the end if the driveway, I went with the shivering showman, they are static.  Finally got the blow away problem solved with rebar and extra tent stakes but we did have Charlie Brown down during an ice storm this year briefly.  Otherwise I just leave them on day and night. 

I've found I have many neighborhood residents that are almost militant in how willing they are to defend me and my display.  I found that out this Summer when I had an issue with a church across the street who's worship team insisted on practicing this Summer on Sunday mornings starting before 7AM.  They cranked up the amps, opened the doors that face my house (150 feet away) and beat away at the drums. Littterally shaking objects inside my house.  Earplugs... didn't work, I could feel the beat and not in the good sense.  I work nights and don't change my sleep schedule on weekends, so though I am a former minister and don't mind worship music, it's just not something I wanted to wake up to 3 hours after going to sleep every Sunday.  Long story short, Cops got involved and I feared they would retaliate against me during Christmas when my display uses amplified music, (albeit its relatively quiet) every night in December.  My fears turned out unfounded, but I casually mentioned my issues to several neighborhood folks and they said they'd take them to court if they tried to shut down my display.  (WOW)

So, long story short you most likely have more fans out there then enemies. 

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

I've found I have many neighborhood residents that are almost militant in how willing they are to defend me and my display.  I found that out this Summer when I had an issue with a church across the street who's worship team insisted on practicing this Summer on Sunday mornings starting before 7AM.  They cranked up the amps, opened the doors that face my house (150 feet away) and beat away at the drums. Littterally shaking objects inside my house.  Earplugs... didn't work, I could feel the beat and not in the good sense.  I work nights and don't change my sleep schedule on weekends, so though I am a former minister and don't mind worship music, it's just not something I wanted to wake up to 3 hours after going to sleep every Sunday.  Long story short, Cops got involved and I feared they would retaliate against me during Christmas when my display uses amplified music, (albeit its relatively quiet) every night in December.  My fears turned out unfounded, but I casually mentioned my issues to several neighborhood folks and they said they'd take them to court if they tried to shut down my display.  (WOW)

So, long story short you most likely have more fans out there then enemies. 

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

Luckily i dont have that issue here in Siletz. I know  a person up there in Albany that had some issues with a Mormon church being all hurt about his light show. All the people here look forward to seeing what i come up with next year. If i can keep my wife out if it i will be ok with 64 channels. She saw the singing tree's so that added 32 channels right there.

SO the software sequenced the tree program with the other lights? I like that. especially seeing as howi am going to buy the super star sequencer. 

No, the sequence was pre-programmed by somebody else and sold by Holidaycoro to me. I added my existing display programming.

If you don't want to go that route, contact Matt Stuart about the talking mouth sequences he already has.

No, the sequence was pre-programmed by somebody else and sold by Holidaycoro to me. I added my existing display programming.

If you don't want to go that route, contact Matt Stuart about the talking mouth sequences he already has.

Yeah thats what i mean, you program the other channels and the tree software fills on the tree channels. Works for me, wife will love it.

Dear neighbors -

The lights are great! We tuned into the station, of course.

(You could stand to lose the blow-ups though.)

Thanks for your display!

I'd have to say that this would be a very strange note from a random viewer...  I mean, to go out of their way to insult your blow-ups is kinda weird.

But these were your neighbors.  I'll bet they think the blow-ups look tacky when inflated or like trash in the yard when deflated.  I think it was more about how your house reflects upon their house.  I live in an HOA community, and you'd be surprised about how picky the neighbors can be about decorations, un-raked leaves in the yard, the color of your mailbox post, etc.  It's actually a violation in my community to leave your garage door open for more than the time it takes to enter or exit your garage.

Anyway, I think they might have just been hinting that they don't care for the way the blow-ups look and definitely wouldn't argue if you wanted to take them down.  If they didn't live near you, I highly doubt their dislike for blow-ups would have warranted a personalized note.

I find the original note pretty tacky, no matter what one's opinion of inflatables are (I don't really care for them but do do have a couple myself).

As for the "offended" comment... you just have to let that stuff slide.  I have a pretty blatantly "Christian" display, and I've received both an anonymous letter from a self-proclaimed "atheist" saying he was offended and wanted all the Christian elements removed, but also a Jewish family who came to the door, told us they loved the display, and said "even though we don't have the same faith we share the same God", and asked if it was ok if they shared a menorah-lighting ceremony on the front step with us.  We of course agreed and it was one of the more touching moments in my history of doing the display.  The ceremony was mostly in Hebrew but he translated it for us and told us step by step was going on.

-Tim

• Like 1

I didn't send the note, but it represents my feelings towards blow ups also.  I think their beauty is in the eye of their owners.  ;)  And how in the world does one sequence a blow up?  

You hack them! Remove the light inside and add one hooked up to a channel!

Bet you knew that already....

I find the original note pretty tacky, no matter what one's opinion of inflatables are (I don't really care for them but do do have a couple myself).

As for the "offended" comment... you just have to let that stuff slide.  I have a pretty blatantly "Christian" display, and I've received both an anonymous letter from a self-proclaimed "atheist" saying he was offended and wanted all the Christian elements removed, but also a Jewish family who came to the door, told us they loved the display, and said "even though we don't have the same faith we share the same God", and asked if it was ok if they shared a menorah-lighting ceremony on the front step with us.  We of course agreed and it was one of the more touching moments in my history of doing the display.  The ceremony was mostly in Hebrew but he translated it for us and told us step by step was going on.

-Tim

I am a non believer. But what you do for your home is your business. If he was offended because of your beliefs, that is his problem not yours. he doesn't like, he can just look the other way. I had some one, politely, ask me why i had no manger scene in the my yard display, i explained to them why, they actually had no problem with it. Do it for yourself, Do it for your friends, and screw the haters is say.

I am a non believer. But what you do for your home is your business. If he was offended because of your beliefs, that is his problem not yours. he doesn't like, he can just look the other way. I had some one, politely, ask me why i had no manger scene in the my yard display, i explained to them why, they actually had no problem with it. Do it for yourself, Do it for your friends, and screw the haters is say.

Oh the note didn't bother me at all (nor did I consider even for a nanosecond changing my display because of it).  It actually gave me a good chuckle.  He went on to say that if he did a display in honor of Satan, the city would surely shut him down.  If it had not been an anonymous letter, I would have told him that I would support his right to do a Satanic display if he sincerely wanted to and not just wanted to yank people's chains.  The First Amendment works for everyone...

Oh the note didn't bother me at all (nor did I consider even for a nanosecond changing my display because of it).  It actually gave me a good chuckle.  He went on to say that if he did a display in honor of Satan, the city would surely shut him down.  If it had not been an anonymous letter, I would have told him that I would support his right to do a Satanic display if he sincerely wanted to and not just wanted to yank people's chains.  The First Amendment works for everyone...

Well next year just for him make sure you put even more Christmas stuff in, in fact, you should make a baby Jesus that sings Jingles bells just to [Foul Language Used] him off.

I'd have to say that this would be a very strange note from a random viewer...  I mean, to go out of their way to insult your blow-ups is kinda weird.

But these were your neighbors.  I'll bet they think the blow-ups look tacky when inflated or like trash in the yard when deflated.  I think it was more about how your house reflects upon their house.  I live in an HOA community, and you'd be surprised about how picky the neighbors can be about decorations, un-raked leaves in the yard, the color of your mailbox post, etc.  It's actually a violation in my community to leave your garage door open for more than the time it takes to enter or exit your garage.

Anyway, I think they might have just been hinting that they don't care for the way the blow-ups look and definitely wouldn't argue if you wanted to take them down.  If they didn't live near you, I highly doubt their dislike for blow-ups would have warranted a personalized note.

I lived in an HOA community for a few years, I will NEVER live in any neighborhood that has a HOA ever again.   Where I lived they started telling us that we couldn't dig up plants that were still alive to move them anywhere else in the yard, then they started telling us what type of plants we were allowed to have.  I was out digging up some flowers to thin them and spread them out and got a written violation for digging up MY OWN plants IN MY YARD!

That's when I decided it was time to move on elsewhere where I didn't have someone telling me what I can or can't do in my OWN YARD!

Plus we had that same stupid garage door rule, which I ignored if I was out cutting the lawn, since I'd take a break and sit in the garage out of the sun and get a drink to rest after a bit.  Especially since I'd be opening and closing the garage door constantly, just downright stupid, as when I worked in the yard my wife wouldn't let me come in through the front or back door, had to come in through the door inside the garage, through the laundry room and to the bathroom to take a shower after working outdoors, or she wouldn't let me in the house!  LOL

Some rules are really dumb under certain circumstances!   So very happy there is NO HOA in my neighborhood!

• Like 1

I lived in an HOA community for a few years, I will NEVER live in any neighborhood that has a HOA ever again.   Where I lived they started telling us that we couldn't dig up plants that were still alive to move them anywhere else in the yard, then they started telling us what type of plants we were allowed to have.  I was out digging up some flowers to thin them and spread them out and got a written violation for digging up MY OWN plants IN MY YARD!

That's when I decided it was time to move on elsewhere where I didn't have someone telling me what I can or can't do in my OWN YARD!

Plus we had that same stupid garage door rule, which I ignored if I was out cutting the lawn, since I'd take a break and sit in the garage out of the sun and get a drink to rest after a bit.  Especially since I'd be opening and closing the garage door constantly, just downright stupid, as when I worked in the yard my wife wouldn't let me come in through the front or back door, had to come in through the door inside the garage, through the laundry room and to the bathroom to take a shower after working outdoors, or she wouldn't let me in the house!  LOL

Some rules are really dumb under certain circumstances!   So very happy there is NO HOA in my neighborhood!

Yeah there is now way i would ever live in a HOA. A friend of mine own 3 house in one neighborhood, they expanded their HOA to include his homes, however they did not have his permission. Everyone around him agreed but he did not so every year his tenants make the HOA very very very unhappy with the Christmas decorating. One of his tenants puts on a real nice show, he is the onle who game me the 2 renard boards that i fixed.

Well at least you got a kind note...I got a call from our friendly local Police Dept. Seems the music was too loud ( Cars across the street were playing their stereos too loud ) and they were afraid of driver distractions.

I just run our inflatables during the day, or when the light show isn't running. I built a 12" high by 32" long "Snow Scene " from old plyboard and paint and placed just in front of the inflatables, when I turn them off for the night they just lay behind the scenes and no one even knows they are there.