Light-O-Rama Forums

Fire! Help, what did I do wrong?

Klayfish

No Dave, your the only one doing weird things. Leave us out of it. LOL  :blink:

Haha, usually it's me getting accused of: "You're doing weird things". :P

Welcome to the club Dave. ;)

I use these weatherproof connectors, they are cheap protection, or you can just search for RJ45-ECS,

http://www.wifiglobaldepot.com/product_info.php?products_id=5178

I tried one of those, just my preference, but I didn't like it, mainly because it is difficult to have to drill out another hole for the second one that would be required for the second cat5 cable.   I prefer to use a single entrance/exit point, now if these had two independant cat5 jacks and cables to connect to the controller.  I'd definitely be using them, but as it is, they are only a single cat5 jack/cable to connect to the controller.

When they come out with a double version with independant cat5 connections, I'll reconsider using them in my controllers.

For now, the styrofoam works well enough, so I'll stick with that, it's a lot cheaper than those connectors, plus I don't have to try and figure out how to drill out my controllers for adding the second one that would be required.  Just too much work for me to want to fool with them.

I tried one of those, just my preference, but I didn't like it, mainly because it is difficult to have to drill out another hole for the second one that would be required for the second cat5 cable.   I prefer to use a single entrance/exit point, now if these had two independant cat5 jacks and cables to connect to the controller.  I'd definitely be using them, but as it is, they are only a single cat5 jack/cable to connect to the controller.

When they come out with a double version with independant cat5 connections, I'll reconsider using them in my controllers.

For now, the styrofoam works well enough, so I'll stick with that, it's a lot cheaper than those connectors, plus I don't have to try and figure out how to drill out my controllers for adding the second one that would be required.  Just too much work for me to want to fool with them.

To each his own, I'm just too lazy to mess with stuff more than once. I did drill 2 holes and used 2 of those connectors in each controller box, and haven't regretted it for a second. Your way works for you, and my way works for me. I also drill 16 holes in the bottom of my cases, and install rubber grommets and round output cords to make sure i keep all critters out of my controllers, doing this gives me a warm and fuzzy. But your way is fine also.

Hey Orville. Do you think MaxPaul is jealous because he doesn't test how electricity works once in a while?.....  : )  Or do we just love the release of ozone caused by electrical arcing causing by atoms being split and recombining into O3???  Oh and I can't forget the clouds of cuprix oxide convering anything in proximity to our testing of lights with black soot!

Hey I have done my share in my earlier years. burnt a hole in my side cutters cause of a second source of 110VAC. Gotten zinged on 277VAC and lessor voltages. But knocking on wood, have not let out any smoke lately. I am sure it will happen again one day. But any time you can walk away with only a little lost of smoke is a good day. I hate the taste of metal in my mouth.

Yep, I just got zinged with 120VAC the other day.  Trying to fix a LED strand that wasn't working, plugged it in, not realizing I only got HALF the male plug inserted into the extension cord I was using, no lights on at all. what the heck?, half the string was working before, NOW WHAT?

So I go and pick up the ext. cord, and so put my hand right on the exposed male prong that I was completely unaware of, got a nice hefty jolt, and let that thing go quicker than I picked it up. LOL   Didn't let any magic smoke out anywhere, well except for maybe my ears. :o   I did get a nice recharge though. :P  :wacko:

Note to self: make dang sure BOTH male prongs are inserted fully inbto female receptacle BEFORE checking or handling why lights aren't functioning! :blink:

I worry about doing that to myself from time to time. Thankfully, when I am at the greatest risk of making that type of mistake plugging things in, nothing is turned on.

That's the thing, the extension {more like an extender cord made from old Christmas Light strands} was plugged into a outlet strip, which I "thought", incorrectly it turned out, was off, the idiot light that says its working burned out and I forgot about that.  So I take a glance, thinking it's off and why the LED strand ISN'T working now, so I pick up the LED strand and get zapped because it wasn't plugged in properly.    Nice tingling sensation over the entire body.      

I gurantee you, I won't be making that same blunder again anytime soon, but give me about 4-5 years and I might just do it again, when I get even older and more feeble-minded! :lol:  :P  :wacko:   

That's the thing, the extension {more like an extender cord made from old Christmas Light strands} was plugged into a outlet strip, which I "thought", incorrectly it turned out, was off, the idiot light that says its working burned out and I forgot about that.  So I take a glance, thinking it's off and why the LED strand ISN'T working now, so I pick up the LED strand and get zapped because it wasn't plugged in properly.    Nice tingling sensation over the entire body.      

I gurantee you, I won't be making that same blunder again anytime soon, but give me about 4-5 years and I might just do it again, when I get even older and more feeble-minded! :lol:  :P  :wacko:   

So if you thought the power outlet strip was turned off, wouldn't that have explained why the whole string was out? 

So if you thought the power outlet strip was turned off, wouldn't that have explained why the whole string was out? 

II thought I cleared that up, power strip idiot light does not function, so when the strand wasn't working, figured the power strip was off, it wasn't until I picked up the LED strand to pull the plug to check the fuses, not knowing if there was power or not, but because of no light {power on} indication, thought it was not, and that's when I got zapped.  Lesson learned, never rely on a power on indicator to know if something is powered or not!

Oh and quit using power strips that the indicator for power on does not work! LOL