Light-O-Rama Forums

Power Surge/Failure Lost All Comms

CK57

Friday night 5 minutes before end of show neighborhood hit with power failure.  Show was running on laptop with battery but still lost all comms and not able to recover even though the sequence never stopped playing.  I believe that adding an UPS will be required since I am using a powered USB network hub, and a network switch which is powered.  When those two items lost power the Comms with the Laptop were toasted.  This further resulted in a Windows failure which required a complete power restart, followed by running of Hardware Utility to re-associate the COM ports with program.  Once this was complete I finally was able to get the ready light to enable shows.  Has anyone else experienced this, and or know if an UPS hooked up to the hubs and switches would eliminate the potential for failure?

Yes - a UPS will help especially when using a powered USB hub since it will keep the hub working and therefor the connection with the USB dongle stays alive. The question is how long do you need to bridge in case of an outage? Even a large UPS with very little load runs out of juice after a while. I have all core components (show computer, switches, DMX splitter, Transmitter) on UPS.

Even a cheap UPS should give you 5 minutes (ONLY the LT and basic USB stuff NO controllers or a separate monitor (Heaven Forbid if it's an old CRT !!)

IF the UPS has comms as well, you can use another port for the ups to tell the LT that it is running out of power and the LT will power down gracefully instead of a "poof", this addition would be a last resort 3rd tier thing, BUT would save the LT's settings.....

Greg