Light-O-Rama Forums

Twinkle effect

beatified

I am looking to create a twinkle effect with a lot of lights. Is it possible to run like 3 leds on each channel or do you need to run separate channels for every led. would like to have about a total of 150 leds and my hope is to use about 50 channels to do this. Is this sufficient?

My thought was to just randomly place the 3 leds on each channel though out the display so that when they come on its not totally obvious that they are part of the same channel.

How physically is the effect created? I have seen what the software does but am unsure what the physical layout of the leds and wiring should be.

Are they any tutorials or videos out there explaining how to achieve this effect?

Thanks for your help

Are you talking about LED strips, RGB items? LED strands? or ???    And what type of controllers?  DC? AC - such as CTB16PC or ?

I'm not sure I'm following or understanding what you're wanting without knowing some more specifics about types of LED's you're using and controller types.

Then someone here could better give you advice on what you're trying to achieve.

Beatified,

Is this the look you are shooting for?

http://youtu.be/bKWNVol3ytA

If so, you might want to think about these, and save your 50 channels for something else.

http://www.lawnlights.com/catalog/

They have a version for lawns that has 8 feet between bulbs and a more traditional version with 5 inch bulb spacing.

Lori

I am looking to create a twinkle effect with a lot of lights. Is it possible to run like 3 leds on each channel or do you need to run separate channels for every led. would like to have about a total of 150 leds and my hope is to use about 50 channels to do this. Is this sufficient?

My thought was to just randomly place the 3 leds on each channel though out the display so that when they come on its not totally obvious that they are part of the same channel.

How physically is the effect created? I have seen what the software does but am unsure what the physical layout of the leds and wiring should be.

Are they any tutorials or videos out there explaining how to achieve this effect?

Thanks for your help

First off, welcome aboard.

To answer your question. Yes, you could do what you mentioned and it still look random. 3 lights per channel scattered out randomly will look random on the twinkle mode.

Adding the effect is very easy and twinkle is a good effect to use for random lights

Beatified,

Is this the look you are shooting for?

http://youtu.be/bKWNVol3ytA

If so, you might want to think about these, and save your 50 channels for something else.

http://www.lawnlights.com/catalog/

They have a version for lawns that has 8 feet between bulbs and a more traditional version with 5 inch bulb spacing.

Lori

That is very close I just want a faster effect like this. This is exactly what were trying to accomplish.

http://youtu.be/p9V7IIGOVHc

Are you talking about LED strips, RGB items? LED strands? or ???    And what type of controllers?  DC? AC - such as CTB16PC or ?

I'm not sure I'm following or understanding what you're wanting without knowing some more specifics about types of LED's you're using and controller types.

Then someone here could better give you advice on what you're trying to achieve.

No strips or anything just single 1 watt cool white LED's. my hope was to make my own strands of 3 LED's per channel.

First off, welcome aboard.

To answer your question. Yes, you could do what you mentioned and it still look random. 3 lights per channel scattered out randomly will look random on the twinkle mode.

Adding the effect is very easy and twinkle is a good effect to use for random lights

Great this is right along the lines of what I was aiming for. Just a ridiculous amount of wiring. in reality it will be an Eiffel Tower and 3 sides will be lit with 150 LED's so a total of 450. This is the effect were after. http://youtu.be/p9V7IIGOVHc

Beatified,

Are you looking for really bright lights? The video looks like they are using strobes. You can certainly use 50 channels with 3 bulbs each as you suggested.  I am just trying to save you some headache....

Lori

I dont know what the voltage required to fire up these 1W LEDs. If say these are 12 Volt D.C. then you would want a DC board. I would suggest that you get 3 of the 16 channel units and live with the 48 channels versus the 50. This way you would place controllers in the middle of the yard and spread the leads out like spokes in a wheel. Got to remember that there will be voltage drop in these leads and the last LED may not light up as bright as the LED closes to the controller. So dont skimp on the leads you use to make these 3 LED strings.  Of course you could scatter the 3 controllers near the edge of the yard and then lay the wires in 180 or 90 degree fans. Or some other lay-out.

Beatified,

Are you looking for really bright lights? The video looks like they are using strobes. You can certainly use 50 channels with 3 bulbs each as you suggested. I am just trying to save you some headache....

Yeah I had the same though that these look like strobes. I purchased 500 1 watt LEDs and although I've never seen a 1 watt led in person, I understand they are very bright. I'm hopeing they have that strobe like effect. Does anyone here have any experiance with LEDs purchased in bulk? Now the hope is to get the LEDs before the big event. This is actually going to be on a 25 foot eiffel tower and the flashing will start at the strike of midnight on new years.

Lori

Is it possible to provide info to what you purchased? A link of pics/info?

As for what Max-Paul mentioned, knowing the voltage will determine a board/controller to use. AND if any hacking will be needed.

I'm using 10W LED Floods (hacked) but still had to lower the voltage a tad for the green and blue and provide a resistor for the red LED. Just an example to see what might need to be thought about here.

And just food for thought... LEDs have no forgiveness if over powering occurs. They will blow in a blink.

Is it possible to provide info to what you purchased? A link of pics/info?

As for what Max-Paul mentioned, knowing the voltage will determine a board/controller to use. AND if any hacking will be needed.

I'm using 10W LED Floods (hacked) but still had to lower the voltage a tad for the green and blue and provide a resistor for the red LED. Just an example to see what might need to be thought about here.

And just food for thought... LEDs have no forgiveness if over powering occurs. They will blow in a blink.

This is what I purchased. I got 10 of these so a total of 500. http://www.ebay.com/itm/140968578068?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

For power, you'll be looking for around 3 to 3.8vdc 350ma supply.

The LOR DC board uses a minimum of 5vdc so resistors will be required as to not blow the LEDs. With 5vdc, using a 1W or greater, 4.7 ohm resistor. At least that's what I found.

Again, that's if using the LOR DC controller.