Light-O-Rama Forums

Help with starting RGB ribbons

Nathan

So I already have a commercial controller and have used it the past two years. This year I want to jump into RGB ribbons. I have the 8 pack of RGB ribbons in my cart along with the advanced version of S3 software. Is this everything I need?

Thanks,

Nathan

Time.  You need a lot of time.  I think you are pretty late to jump into RGB for this year.  There is a big learning curve.

You will need a 12 vdc power supply. LOR recommended at least 200 watts. 350 watt supplies cost less than $30.

If you plan to mount your controller outside you will also need something to weatherproof the card and power supply. Cableguard 1500 cases work well.

That should be it.

Programming them make sure you convert or add your controller channels as RGB and use the color fade tool. Very simple to use.

Hanging them on the house would be your next topic of interest. I use glazing tape for a permanent solution.

Good luck,

Sax

So since we are talking about ribbons I am planning on using some dumb ones this year just to outline my windows and make a happy holidays sign.  Now I know I have my work cut out for me on the sign and as far as the windows I am taking some 2x8's and making a frame around the window and painting them like candy canes and then putting the ribbon on the inside edge.  But for my sign, how far of an extension can I run from the lights to the cmb24 ? I am not trying to buy two cmb24's when I have enough channels on one.

I have dumb rgb strings of 200 bulbs about 70 feet from controller with AWG 18 cable and 350watt power supply without issue. Dumb strips are 50 bulbs so to speak each 16 foot strip.

Probably could get greater distance but that is as far as I had to go so I didn't test further.

My best advice is calculate then test. For me I just tried 18 AWG at my furthest run and no issue.

BTW I have a 20 AWG cable that is 50 ft without issue too. Bet it would be good at 70 feet too. But I have never tested it. I just made several 50 ft cables with AWG 20 and a few at 70 ft with AWG 18 and use what I need.

Good-luck,

Sax

got it thanks, I ordered a whole bunch of the 4 wire led cable extension wire I figured this would work, I plan on taking re-shrink and using heat shrink for a better jacket around the cable not to sure yet though.

Yep...that is what I did. I live in Oregon where we get rain, rain and more rain. So waterproofing connectors, cables and connections is a must.

I have a post in the DMX section listing who I used as my vendors. Putting the 4 wire ends on your lights is something you have to do. But ray wu, one of the vendors I use, sells 50 ft (and other size) extension cables that are made up. The price looks high when you add it to your cart but after making all my cables I wish I would of just gotten his extensions. I spent too many days making mine. 8 small heat shrink pieces and 2 big heat shrinking pieces per cable, solder each wire, ohm it, heat shrink it, repeat. Especially this close to show time, I have much better things to do with my time. Not to mention his cables jackets are more robust than the cables that I am using. Don't get me wrong, all my cables work and are sized perfect...I just think I wasted a lot of time to save a few bucks.

Look for my other post for those vendors or you could just google ray wu. His store is always worth a look.

Sax