Light-O-Rama Forums

CR150D - Length of Control Cable

karldrahovsky

Hello,

I wanted to put my 12CR150s in 1 water proof box. Length of base of tree is 12'   If box is in center it is a bit tight to run to left and right for the 1st, 2nd and 11th and 12th strips;  Assuming I Can extend the 4-wire control cable without any issues?  Could make 2 boxes of 6 but really didn't want to.  Putting the hardware at top of tree is really not an option.

Thoughts?

Karl

I believe its standard length is about 6 feet. I only have one CCR so I have the controller near enough to it to easily plug in. I see no reason you can't extend that cable a bit but if using splices or whatever, waterproof them just to be sure. Liquid tape would work

I extended 2 of mine about 2 ft each, works great! I used 4 core pigtails on then so they are easy to put together and take apart.

I like the idea of pigtails. I keep all 12 of mine in a 5 gallon bucket with a 90 degree elbow PVC pipe coming out to keep out water. Works great, but snaking all 12 lines in along with AC and cat 5 is not easy. Pigtails could be fished through once and water tight connections made outside the bucket.

Thanks!

Just curious of what you mean by the "4 core pigtails."  I'd love to use the same connector that goes into the controller.  Does anyone have the type of plug that goes in to the controller that I can purchase?  So I'd need a female and male end (little black 4 wire)  I'd just make an extension cable between the connectors already there, eliminating solder, heat tube etc.  I think I'd just run these 12 lines in plastic tube back to the control box.

This is the 4 core pigtail from Holiday Coro http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/631.htm . I also use them coming from the CCR's controller, that way I don't even have to open the enclosure to connect any of the wiring, and they are waterproof unlike the LOR connectors. ;)