Light-O-Rama Forums

Needing some help

Silivrenwolf

Hello,

I have been forced to help in creating a light show for my employer. I knew nothing of this software until recently. Besides trying to get all the licensing information figure out I now need to get familiar with this program which I've been doing. Right now I'm struggling to figure out the best way to do this. There are 3 main sections in which I can basically copy the 1st and use them for the other sections.The questions I have are What's the best way to create these sections. Do I just add them to the one main file? How do I add different songs or switch songs out if they end up not liking them? 

I have been doing a lot of research and youtube videos to figure this out...in fact I'm youtubed out. Can this stuff be hired out? lol I do see they have sequences already made for sale. 

Any help/pointers much appreciated! 

• Like 1

I hope your job isn't on the line!

The questions I have are What's the best way to create these sections. Do I just add them to the one main file?

Not sure what you are asking about sections...

How do I add different songs or switch songs out if they end up not liking them? 

This one I think I know what you are asking..

You run a SHOW... a SHOW is made up of one or more SEQUENCES a SEQUENCE can me animated or musical.

So if there is a song you don't like then you just remove it.

Yes you can pay someone to do all the work but time is running out.

AND IT COULD BE COSTLY!

Hi, I am rather a newbie myself, and some may not agree due to my lack of expertise.

First, how many controllers are you using?

Secondly, the best thing you can do right now(in my opinion) is to buy a ready-made sequence from LOR, probably one that you can modify. The ones you can modify are more expensive, but they will let you see the complexity of the sequencing you are going to be getting into.

You will also need the music. You must have the exact song their sequence was made with. They provide a link to obtain it. LOR's ready made sequences will work fine with no modification up to 48 channels(3 controllers)..just follow their directions and it will work great.

Work on your layout of however many channels you are going to use. Think in groups of 4 and try to lay them out so that they are not flashing all over. Think left to right, and up to down in your groupings. Check out the diagrams LOR uses for their sequences, that will help a LOT.

So, get a song and sequence working, then we can help from there. Keep us posted. 

Edited by olduffer

Thanks everyone. 

No job is not on the line as this wasn't why I was hired in the first place. It was another last minute decision that my boss decided he wanted to throw in and since I am the tech/graphic gal I get the task of figuring it out. lol

I think I finally figured it out. I guess what my question was is if there is a "main" template that you can create that you could use for the rest of the other songs, etc. 

... I guess what my question was is if there is a "main" template that you can create that you could use for the rest of the other songs, etc. 

Yes there is.  With your completed sequence open, go to EDIT > IMPORT/EXPORT CONFIGURATION.  You'll be exporting.  Follow the prompts and give the file a name.

Then, when you create a new sequence you can use that configuration file (.lcc).

I wish my boss would give me an assignment like that! 

Transfer over to the IRS - sounds like it's right up their alley

I suppose I should ask if this is for a Christmas or Halloween display and if so, how many songs or types of songs do they want sequenced? Aother question would be the layout and/or specific use if not a holiday type thing? For general sequencing, as George mentioned, save that hardware configuration so you can import it on the next song/sequence but understand that its the channel information and not the sequencing. From there, sequencing is nearly a form of art, in the mind of the person doing the sequencing to achieve whatever display is desired, to whatever music or other method of control. These systems can be used to control fountains, yard lights or whatever you wish.

Thank you everyone. Very helpful. I think I got it covered for the most part. They want about 15 songs maybe 20 if I'm lucky and can get it done. There will be a lot of copying as the lights are in different locations so not everyone will be seeing the same set ups. So as long as I can get a few songs figured out I will go back and tweak to better match the music. Hopefully when all is said and done it will all work out! 

Ok so I've come up to a bit of a snag.

There are 3 different sections that the light show will be happening (East, North, West). They will all be going off at the same time and so copying the "main" section/sequence and adding them to the others. However what I'm stuck on is to make this work do I need to put all of the sections into the songs/sequences? ex: frosty with sections east, north, west. If that's the case how do I go about animating to see how things are looking. OR do I need to make duplicates of the songs/sequence ex. frost east, frosty north, frosty west 

Ya thats what you said last time. By sections I suppose you might be speaking of east side of building/campus. West side of building or campus and North side building or campus. I can see any reason you cant have E1-5, W1-5 and N1-5.  Each of the addresses for the controller would have 3 controllers each. Then you make your sequence with what appears to be only 5 controllers. So in each section you would have the same thing happen to each sector.