Light-O-Rama Forums

Residential or pro?

bbkfpptt

Pro Models are up listed. Most folks use the PC version for their home displays. Save yourself some money and get the card assembled version and install the cords yourself

Buy PC home version already assembled with the cords attached ready to go.     If you like the DIY part you can build or wire yourself.  Be sure to allow time for that in your project plan.

Thanks for the info. I just purchased 2 of the CTB16PC, one fully installed to get the discount on the software and one partially assembled. Gonna pick up 2 more real soon, can't wait to put them to use! Thinking of getting more after this season, gonna go the complete DIY route. Been doing the electonics thing for the last 16 years in the Navy, these shouldn't be too difficult.

I have one of each.

The Pro enclosure is much more robust and the unit is UL listed which may be useful if you install it where it has to be inspected by the local building department. The pro has no exposed components. 

To save money I purchased my second controller from WOWLights during their summer sale and it is a residential model ( complete and ready to go). 

I really do like the Pro and for my next one, I am not sure which I will pick, but it more than likely will be a Pro. 

I have found it helpful to put lables on my controllers with the current firmware version and assigned address. When they are powered off, it helps keep track of things.   I have also found lableing every power cable with the channel number  (01-16) is also key to sanity.

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember correctly, the residential only has on power cord to plug in while the Pro has two power cords, one for channels 1-8 and the other for 9-16. Good to know for planning number of power outlet needed.

If I remember correctly, the residential only has on power cord to plug in while the Pro has two power cords, one for channels 1-8 and the other for 9-16. Good to know for planning number of power outlet needed.

Both the Pro and Residential 16 channel controllers have two power supplies. 

Should be noted, though, there is an option to make each a single power supply. However, the default configuration is for two power supplies.