Light-O-Rama Forums

What a RUSH!

Premier

Wow, What a rush!!! I ordered 2 controllers during the summer sale and just got them all put together, plugged into the computer and just had to hook up lights to every plug I could and run a sequence! What a rush after programming all year to finally see all the LIGHTS BLINK!!!  This is soo cool. Can't wait for the holiday season to start!

• Like 7

Now you've gone and done it. There's no turning back now. You got that first breath skipped when they went blinky flashy. Cool addict......err....hobby isn't it?

Edited by Ron Boyd
  • Like 1

Ahhhhh.....newbies. I remember that rush of seeing LOR work for the first time.

This will be my 9th season with LOR.

There's no turning back!  You have been assimilated.  May your lights never stay on... but blink semi erratically.

Just wait till you get your first visitor and watch them smile and/or dance!

Welcome aboard!

how true. Then you will check to make sure the radio is working and so on

congrats, just wait it only gets better

"and more expen$ive!"  

'Cuz now you're gonna want to buy more controllers, maybe get into RGB, buy more lights, more extension cords and build your own props for your display.   If you have a significant other, may as well say goodbye now, as you will now be so engrossed in sequencing for every free moment you have you'll become very sparse to family and friends :ph34r:  {except those with the same addiction!} :P , you will think about it everywhere you go, and at everything you see and even those you don't see.  It will consume you for the rest of your days!  

Welcome to the addiction....er, HOBBY of Holiday Light Sequencing!    Your life has just been taken over...... :o:P:lol:

• Like 2

you will think about it everywhere you go, and at everything you see and even those you don't see.  It will consume you for the rest of your days!

Truth! I never stop thinking about it, and everything I see becomes a potential "Prop" for next years display/ 

• Like 2

Y'all are sick!

( I write this while taking a break from working on my Halloween props)  ;)

tj

Absolutely sick, by not having enough fund$ to get everything we see for our displays! :P  :)

Not to mention, every time you go shopping, everything is based on how many controllers or lights you could've bought!

I'm glad I made my major purchases earlier this year, now would have sucked trying to get permission to do it now.

Edited by scubado
  • Like 1

Too late for all of that, I have been busy programming all year and everywhere I look I see something that I could turn into a prop, or watching different sequences on the web for ideas. My only restriction is power! Dont think I can run much more than the 32 channels I have now. But am defantely hooked, no Halloween program this year but am sure I will get one going next year!

No Halloween?

You've got 2 months.

Just get some 3 dollar wal-mart Halloween light strings and make them blink to some music. (just to get some experience in setup, wiring, routing etc.)

Plus... you'd be suprised how little you have to do to get a great response from folks... Its a great feeling!

tj

Haha, I'm only 3 weeks old to this and bought myself a second controller already and oh, I guess I need lights over "here" to match the other side, oh and lights over "there" to even out this side and guess I should buy more extension cords "just in case". . Yeah, the Addiction to the Hobby--I can see it. I'm not even close to advanced.

Haha, I'm only 3 weeks old to this and bought myself a second controller already and oh, I guess I need lights over "here" to match the other side, oh and lights over "there" to even out this side and guess I should buy more extension cords "just in case". . Yeah, the Addiction to the Hobby--I can see it. I'm not even close to advanced.

Look at getting SPT-1 wire (500-1000ft) and 2-3dz vampire plugs male and female (you will find yourself making extension cords on the fly).

Look at getting SPT-1 wire (500-1000ft) and 2-3dz vampire plugs male and female (you will find yourself making extension cords on the fly).

Funny, I was reading about vampire plugs recently.  Is the SPT-1 wire just like indoor/outdoor extension cord wire? And, safe for outdoor ???

Funny, I was reading about vampire plugs recently.  Is the SPT-1 wire just like indoor/outdoor extension cord wire? And, safe for outdoor ???

it is indoor/outdoor extension cord and alot of guys here use it for their displays, so far no casualties so I would have to assume safe for outdoors.  It's key benefit is it is relatively cheap when bought in bulk and allows you to create custom length extension cords on the fly.  If this is your first show then you will soon understand why, my first year I think I spent more time at WallyWorld and Lowe's than I really care to.  And that route get's pricey.

it is indoor/outdoor extension cord and alot of guys here use it for their displays, so far no casualties so I would have to assume safe for outdoors.  It's key benefit is it is relatively cheap when bought in bulk and allows you to create custom length extension cords on the fly.  If this is your first show then you will soon understand why, my first year I think I spent more time at WallyWorld and Lowe's than I really care to.  And that route get's pricey.

Thanks for the advice. When I make those trips it cost me more cause I buy on impulse lol. So I can see where an length can come in really handy. I would like to avoid those last minute trips should help Thanks! Is it relatively simple to connect?

indoor extension cords and spt (lamp cord) will work fine outside. I believe the only reason that it is not rated for ooutdoor use is because of uv protection. uv won't be a big issue because you only use them for a couple months and uv strength is much less in winter.  make sure you run your controllers from gfci outlets. welcome to the hobby here is a video of how to make spt cords   http://www.youtube.com/embed/lJjDL7mVEGA

Edited by james campbell