Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie to RGB-Good deal or bust?

charlottedad

I have been looking for decent quality dumb RGB strips for a community project and found these at Ray Wu's Store:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC12V-5m-one-roll-5050-SMD-30LEDs-m-led-strip-waterproof-by-silicon-tube-IP66/701799_587735379.html

Looked to good to be true.  Anyone tried these or have a recommendation for similarly priced strips that you know work well?  Looking to buy 20 - 5M dumb strips but on a strict budget.  There are so many options it is making my head spin.  I am planning to control these with the 3ch holiday coro dumb controllers.

Also any recommendations for smart pixel strips would be appreciated as I need to purchase 16 - 5M lengths of that.

Thanks

I purchased a very similar one last year for $3.40 a meter and they worked well.  And even better they fired right up this year.

I have yet to have issues with Ray's stuff.

Bear in mind that the strips are not "Smart" meaning that each pixel set (Red/Blue/Green) on the strip is not its own channel. The not so smart controller has typically have 3 Addresses on a DMX universe to iluminate the Red or Blue or Green LED's on the strip. Smart strips (With control if each pixel set ) and a smart controller attached to it will have an address on the DMX but also will have sub addresses for each pixel set for inhanced lighting effects. That's big bucks!!!  the CCR by LOR is a "Smart" controller with a "Smart" strip and a power supply the complete the setup. I myself wanted to add dazzle with a Light Strips but turns out, the cost is about the same with CCR vs other smart products.

Bear in mind that the strips are not "Smart" meaning that each pixel set (Red/Blue/Green) on the strip is not its own channel. The not so smart controller has typically have 3 Addresses on a DMX universe to iluminate the Red or Blue or Green LED's on the strip. Smart strips (With control if each pixel set ) and a smart controller attached to it will have an address on the DMX but also will have sub addresses for each pixel set for inhanced lighting effects. That's big bucks!!!  the CCR by LOR is a "Smart" controller with a "Smart" strip and a power supply the complete the setup. I myself wanted to add dazzle with a Light Strips but turns out, the cost is about the same with CCR vs other smart products.

Umm....that's not true at all.  Even if you get the very best pixel controller from SanDevices, you will save SIGNIFICANT money if you bulk order 2811 strips and power supplies from Ray Wu.  I've done the math before and a DIY smart strip solution is at least 50% less than a similar LOR CCR.  HOWEVER.....the CCRs are plug and play, which is AWESOME.  Buying strips from Ray WU is truly dyi and requires SIGNIFICANTLY more time.  However, I think even LOR would admit that the DIY route is cheaper...

• Like 2

I think the Original Poster was focusing on dumb strips, and has an interest in smart ones.

Also, these strips (both dumb and smart) come in different densities; 30/meter, 60/meter, 72/meter and 144/meter, getting progressively more expensive.

For me, the 60/meter gives the best light without gaps.

If you're a technical person that doesn't need much support, the DIY route may be for you. Don't expect any support from the China folks.

But HolidayCoro will give you excellent support as does Creative Lighting Displays, if you purchase from them.

If you don't know which end of a hot soldering iron to hold, maybe the LOR CCR is your best route.

LOR stands behind every product they sell.

Edited by Ken Benedict
  • Like 2

I think the Original Poster was focusing on dumb strips, and has an interest in smart ones.

Also, these strips (both dumb and smart) come in different densities; 30/meter, 60/meter, 72/meter and 144/meter, getting progressively more expensive.

For me, the 60/meter gives the best light without gaps.

If you're a technical person that doesn't need much support, the DIY route may be for you. Don't expect any support from the China folks.

But HolidayCoro will give you excellent support as does Creative Lighting Displays, if you purchase from them.

If you don't know which end of a hot soldering iron to hold, maybe the LOR CCR is your best route.

LOR stands behind every product they sell.

Perfectly stated.

You can get those strips cheaper on ebay.  Here's a link....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170745743108?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This particular style I bought last year and having to to replace some of them this year.  The ones in my year round landscaping still work, but red especially has quiet a few dim bulbs.  The jacketed style that Ray has is a better price than Ebay if buying enough bulk to justify the shipping.

Was out on business and just got a few minutes to get back to this.  Looks like I forgot to FOLLOW my own post.

Thank you everyone for your input.  Really appreciated.  I am looking to use these in a community display and due to budget restrictions it looks like I will only have enough to purchase the DUMB strips.  Maybe we can add some SMART strips next year.  I will investigate a little further.  Got to purchase soon and get this stuff built.  YIKES Halloween is only 2 months away also.

You can get those strips cheaper on ebay.  Here's a link....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170745743108?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Those are two completely different things - one is pixel/smart and the ebay one is dumb strip.  Never assume all products are the same just because they look alike.