Light-O-Rama Forums

San Devices E6804 and LOR

jimswinder

Jim-   to answer your original question---> http://www.sandevices.com/downloads.html   Top/ Center of the page is the Users Manual. 

Looks like others have got you up and running.  You might want to give the users manual a quick read.

yep..already did..didn't find anything...but I could have missed it...

I'm having the same issues here. I am borrowing E681 from socaljimh.. He has helped walk me through set up. I have also verified all the steps listed above. I have created a quick sequence... When I hit play nothing happens. Do I need to build a show? I just plugged in a brand Ethernet cable from the San device to my router. Router is already connected to PC.

Someone mentioned above about an IP issue.. That might be mine??? I can pull up the IP address of the sandevice... However is there another step related to the IP address that I might have missed?

I'm going bald here from pulling my hair out..

Thanks Chad

Do not pull hair.

No, building a show and scheduling it is not necessary to run the lights.  Make sure you have PLAY/ Control Lights checked.  Have the "View Animation" window open(in menu bar- looks like a clip of film and under the HELP)  With the Animation screen controls you can control the PLAY/STOP of the sequence.

Is Listener seeing the Universe 6?   The line in Listener should read something like "DMX 6,,,,,,,Info E1.31U6: E1.31 Universe 6 opened on 239.255.0.6"

The IP address into the controller is for set up only.  Nothing Else.  When you set up your sequence you whet into EDIT/ Preferences/ Network Preferences/ TAB DMX.  Clicking on Universe 6 brings up a 2nd set-up box.  Select "Use E1.31" and "Multicast".  A preassigned IP address of 239.255.0.6 will show up.  The controller will recognize this. 

We will hook up soon.

JH

Jim- they are referring to a network switch.  Some users also use their house router for this.  

Show PC---> router/ switch----> E680X controller(s).  All connected w/ RJ45 Ether net cable.

Have another question...I want to use several E6804's...which each need to plug into a LAN connection to the computer.

My Laptop (Show Computer) has only one LAN connection...

Do they sell Hubs (like for USB Connections) so you can have more than one LAN Connection?

no not directly im using a 5 port switch jim there is a time out box on the sandevices web page jim type 0 in that box then click update system info

Have another question...I want to use several E6804's...which each need to plug into a LAN connection to the computer.

My Laptop (Show Computer) has only one LAN connection...

Do they sell Hubs (like for USB Connections) so you can have more than one LAN Connection?

You would need a network switch to use several of the E6808's. it would work pretty much like your USB hub would. Just more ports to plug more stuff into!

there is a time out box on the sandevices web page jim type 0 in that box then click update system info

Yeah...that has always been set to zero...

Jim-

Absolutely!!    the "hubs" are called Network Switches usually have a minimum of 4 ports and up to 48.  Average for home use is around 8 ports.  They can be got from numerous sources.  Fry's(in Renton), Best Buy, Amazon, eBay.  I do suggest you buy your first one from someplace you can see it, put yours hands on it, and ask questions about it.  Usual cost is around $18- $30 for a 5 port.   Don't get a "wireless" router/switch.  They usually can't keep up with the amount of data sent. 

Sample- Fry's- LINK,  Best Buy--LINK.

I use E681's and have found a small Ethernet switch that runs on 5vdc.  I can power it off of the E681 axillary power tap so I can put it in the same enclosure as the E681 and use it to daisy chain my E681's and E6804.

You would need a network switch to use several of the E6808's. it would work pretty much like your USB hub would. Just more ports to plug more stuff into!

Like the USB Hubs, do these come Powered and Unpowered? If so, which one is best?

okay...can get my E6804's to work on my desktop...but not my laptop!!

Does something need to be set-up...like a Network Connection?

I'm using the E682 and I believe the 6804 operates the same. If you haven't done so you need to set your network preferences to E1.31 "Multicast".  If that doesn't work, then should check your network switch or router to make sure it isn't blocking multicast messaging.

If you haven't done so you need to set your network preferences to E1.31 "Multicast".  If that doesn't work, then should check your network switch or router to make sure it isn't blocking multicast messaging.

And where and how does one do that?

Jim I just sent you a PM. I'm available for us to chat and troubleshoot this remotely for you.

---Michael

Jim I just sent you a PM. I'm available for us to chat and troubleshoot this remotely for you.

---Michael

Hey, keep us informed on your progress and solution(s).

Hey, keep us informed on your progress and solution(s).

Was waiting to talk with Michael from HiTechLights when I did something Jim from San Devices suggested (see below)...and it worked for being able to use my laptop (as I was NEVER able to connect to it)...still need to try it on my desktop...as of right now it has stayed connected on my laptop for over 6 minutes...

Hi Jim, OK, let's try a different setup.  Disconnect the Ethernet cable from yourpc, then restart the pc.  Wire a direct connection form one E6804 to thePC.  Turn on power to the E6804 and wait at least 5 seconds.  Press andhold the PROG button.  After a few seconds the red and green leds willstart flashing on and off together. Wait until the 4th red/green flash and then release the PROG button. Start your web browser, and type 169.254.74.73 in the address bar. This *should* bring up the web page.  If so, type 169.254.74.73 as the newIP address and click SAVE SYSTEM INFO. Verify that you can click the REFRESH PAGE button and see the up-timetimer increase.  Leave the system in this configuration for a while andsee if it remains stable. -jim-
Edited by jimswinder
  • Like 1