Light-O-Rama Forums

San Devices E6804 and LOR

jimswinder

Can someone point me to a PDF, tutorial, or anything on how to use LOR with a San Devices E6804?

Having NO luck in getting the device to control my pixels.

The device will go thru its test okay..but can't get it to control the pixel string.

Thanks...

• Like 1

Jim, I went to a San Devices presentation at the Ultimate Academy. I'll look through my notes to see if any reference docs or manuals were mentioned. I hope that you get it figured it out before I get my power supply and pixels. :-P

I thought I was your power supply!!  :P Thanks...

That is true..... However, unless you want to sit under my mega tree for the entire month of December, I should probably get another one... Not to replace you, but to use when you are not available.

;)

Jim. I gotta ask some simple questions. Do you have the usb485 connected and the control panel running? And is your DMX universes setup in the hardware utility?

Jim. I gotta ask some simple questions.

Do you have the usb485 connected

**No...San Devices don't use the USB485 as I understand it....just straight from an Ethernet Connection**

and the control panel running?

Nope...don't know why I would have that running if I was trying to control the pixels...

And is your DMX universes setup in the hardware utility?

**that is what I am trying to find out how to do, I guess...how to set up everything to make it all work...

The usb485 has to be plugged in but not connected to your e6804. This will give you the control lights option in the sequence editor.

The control panel turns on the DMX listener and will open a command box on your pc but it will be minimized. If you click on it at the bottom of the screen it will show you what DMX universes you have setup on LOR and if they are listening for commands.

Now for the DMX preferences I will have to look at my pc to direct you through the steps. It's real easy but without looking at it I can't tell you how to do it. If nobody chimes in before I get home I will post back with instructions.

The usb485 has to be plugged in but not connected to your e6804. This will give you the control lights option in the sequence editor. The control panel turns on the DMX listener and will open a command box on your pc but it will be minimized.

**Plugged in USB485...but don't see a Command Box anywhere.**

If you click on it at the bottom of the screen it will show you what DMX universes you have setup on LOR and if they are listening for commands. Now for the DMX preferences I will have to look at my pc to direct you through the steps. It's real easy but without looking at it I can't tell you how to do it. If nobody chimes in before I get home I will post back with instructions.

Ok open your control panel and click network prefrences. Click the dmx tab and select the advanced button on the right (if your not already in the advanced mode) click one of the universes on the left say 1 for example. Select "Use e1.31" and then select multicast and click ok. The port number should stay the same. Then you will probably have to close out your control panel and sequence editor etc.

Restart the control panel first and then your command or commlistener icon should be at the bottom in your taskbar. It should say something like e1.31 universe 1 opened on XXX.XX.XXX.XX ip address and connection accepted.

Now start your sequencer and see what happens. make sure you have the usb485 connected and the little square at the bottom right in the sequencer is blue. Also make sure control lights is checked under play in the sequence editor. 

• Like 1

Glad im not the only one wondering about this. I have an E6804 on the way and Pixels so will be wondering the same thing with mine once it gets here! have you had any luck Jim? 

Ok open your control panel and click network prefrences. Click the dmx tab and select the advanced button on the right (if your not already in the advanced mode) click one of the universes on the left say 1 for example. Select "Use e1.31" and then select multicast and click ok. The port number should stay the same. Then you will probably have to close out your control panel and sequence editor etc.

Restart the control panel first and then your command or commlistener icon should be at the bottom in your taskbar. It should say something like e1.31 universe 1 opened on XXX.XX.XXX.XX ip address and connection accepted.

I think I am in BUSINESS!!!!  Got the Listener Window and it says it is connected.  Thanks SWood!!!!  :D :D

(I keep forgetting about those pesky Network Preferences!!)

Working on another Christmas Display project right now...but will test it out later tonight!

Edited by jimswinder
  • Like 1

Well DANG!!!

Came inside to see if I could get some pixels to work..but now I have a little Red Square at the bottom of my Sequence Editor when earlier it was Blue.  Still see the CommListener and it says it is connected...

Have my USB485 still plugged...

Hardware utility says it can't find CommPort...need to connect a controller...

Guess I will l try that...

Edited by jimswinder

okay...hooked up controller

Hardware Utility Found CommPort...

Rebooted LOR...

And now have a Blue Square...

But pixels are not lighting... :angry:

They do light when I run a test though thru the San Device

Edited by jimswinder

Okay...got them working.

For some reason, I think the connection to my San Device keeps timing out.

I have to keep unplugging then plugging back in my LAN connection to get the device to communicate...

Is there a Time Out setting on the San Device somewhere?

There might be in the ip address configuration? I dont have mine yet to know what I can and cannot set unfortunately. It could be a "readyness" issue with the nic or something on the pc too, hard to say, I would think the San Device would always be ready to receive a command though once power is applied, how does it work with LOR in a sequence? time out or does it run through the whole song?

jimswinder,

I ran into the same problem and finally figured out that the ethernet plug was going too far into the ethernet port of the sandevice and was not making a good connection. When I plug the ethernet cord in and it clicks, I have to pull it back out to snug up the connection.  I'm thinking about putting a bit of silicon or hotglue on the end of my ethernet cable so it dosn't go in to far.

Frank

There might be in the ip address configuration? I dont have mine yet to know what I can and cannot set unfortunately. It could be a "readyness" issue with the nic or something on the pc too, hard to say, I would think the San Device would always be ready to receive a command though once power is applied, how does it work with LOR in a sequence? time out or does it run through the whole song?

it did play the whole song...but it is only 55 seconds long...

Okay...got them working.

For some reason, I think the connection to my San Device keeps timing out.

I have to keep unplugging then plugging back in my LAN connection to get the device to communicate...

Is there a Time Out setting on the San Device somewhere?

I haven't heard of any time out on sandevices. Make sure after you ran the test patterns you set that back to 0 for all lights off before running it with LOR. There might be some type of setting on your network card causing this too but I would have to look at the settings.