Light-O-Rama Forums

Venting - People who pretend they know what they are talking about

tbetgeorge

Just venting...

I know it's ridiculous to expect Home Depot or Lowe's to staff stores only with experts or general contractors out-of-work, so I go in knowing I'm going to often get people with little or no experience - no prob. I HATE, however, when I ask a question from a worker only for them to say complete nonsense and say it like they're an expert. If you don't have the answer, please kindly get someone who does. Please don't feel the need to make up an answer or simply tell me what a lot of other people buy.

Today, a girl who looked about 17 tried to tell me, "if it's bare wood - you don't need primer." She then went on and on about things that I knew were way off. I'm no expert myself, but I've been building most of my life and can tell when something is way off. I felt bad, but then asked her what she PERSONALLY had experience with, and if she didn't have the experience, please ask someone who does. She said, sure - let me get the other paint person. Of course, another high schooler with no knowledge. Had to go to three hardware stores today before I found someone with actual experience. The last store had a guy who know what he was doing, had a chip on his shoulder that he worked at Home Depot, but at least I was able to get the answers I needed...

Edited by tbetgeorge

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a31ford

• Shubb

• George Simmons

• SoCalJimH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel your pain!   I went into one of those big box stores and asked the clerk to cut me 36 inches of tubing from a bulk spool.  He said "sorry, we only sell it by the foot".   The thought of my knee-jerk reaction would only serve to get me banned so I just thanked him and walked away.

This is a little of the topic but under the "venting" heading I have to share it.  Picking up lunch in a drive through I ordered two large Cokes, one with extra ice.  The employee handed me the two drinks with no markings to identify which one had extra ice.

When I ask, her answer was:

"The heavier one"

I just let out a sigh while my helper burst into tears laughing.

I have two six-inch Stanley diagonal cutting pliers that I've used and abused for many, many years.  I almost always have one in my pocket while working on anything display-related, and last fall I temporarily misplaced one of them somewhere in the yard.

We were passing by a Lowe's one day and on the spur of the moment I decided to swing in and pick up a replacement.  Having never previously been inside a Lowe's, I was looking forward to going there.  I encountered a cute little teenie-boppette in the hardware area and when I asked her where their Stanley hand tools were, she looked at me with a straight face and a totally earnest expression and told me that they didn't carry any off-brands - just Cobalt...

"I encountered a cute little teenie-boppette in the hardware area and when I asked her where their Stanley hand tools were, she looked at me with a straight face and a totally earnest expression and told me that they didn't carry any off-brands - just Cobalt..."

MG!   LMAO!!!  HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Another teen retail story.   At McDs and my order came to exactly $11.   In my wallet was a 20 and 1 dollar bill  so I handed the cheerful girl both bills.   She immediately tried to hand me back the single I gave her by 'mistake'.   I would like to have a 10 for change, I explained.  You can do that in your head?  My mouth and brain were more puzzled than hers by this exchange.  So she punched in 21 and the machine told her the change and she exclaimed too loudly  it IS $10 !       Sure wish the taxpayers could get a refund for the education she didnt get but we paid for.

I can so feel with you... my fight with the Home Depot Paint desk about - you guess - primer went up to Home Depot Corporate HQ... and three store managers called to appologize.

I ended up with my local paint store in walking distance. sure much more expensive but with a greatly engaged and knowledgable staff. One time, the guy spent 30 minutes and 4 buckets of paint trying to match my color sample until I had to tell him good enough I take it as is... he was just not satisfied and had so much honor that he took it very personal not being able to match my sample 100 % accurate even though I thought it is perfectly fine...

And the quality of the paint is so much better, usually saves me one coat.

Maybe a personal issue, some days I just cannot tolerate incompetence (which makes shopping at Home Depot a total night mare)

How about the other side of the coin...

I have a friend that works at Home Depot in the electric department.  He has over 20 years experience as an electrician.   He has some scary stories about customers.  I have personally seen him spend 10 minutes or more trying to explain how to wire a light switch.  I don't think the customer ever did understand it.

He told me one the other day about a lady that was upset that one of the switches in a three way circuit was up when the light was off. 

He also has a phrase that he uses to describe Home Depot -- Industrial Strength Stupid.  lol

Jerry

Edited by LORisAwesome

"Industrial Strength Stupid" !!!!   :D :D :D 

I feel the pain!  You just can't fix stupid!  

You know that when you get one of these less than knowledgeable service industry people, you can always tell them what Bill Envall does and say "Here's Your Sign!!!" 

I won't get started on Lowe's and HD staff, don't want to hijack this thread.  Have horror stories of all varieties!!  BTW, I am still waiting on the HD guy to come by and give us an estimate on replacing all our windows with energy efficient models (we bought and had them installed 3 years ago but had gone by HD 6 months prior to that).

Lowe's is no angel either.

Edited by caniac

Ever ask a checker under 30 to count back your change? Not gonna happen. I learned it at the age of seven or so on the family farm... It has served me well, when I was a bank teller I could go months and only be off a few coins. Quite a feete when during that same span I could have easily handled over a million in cash.

what a great thread,,,folks mad at something other than each other

I bet I could send it south in less than two posts...

A trendy suburbanite thought he's pull one over on the old man behind the counter of a country store; he asked for change for an 18 dollar bill.

The old boy replied, without missing a beat, "Sure. You want that in sixes or nines?".