• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a31ford

• Shubb

• George Simmons

• SoCalJimH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This thread is too good to want to get it locked by causing a rumble.

I heard a variation of the pipe nipple thing. I work in maintenance. We had a older black lady working in the parts crib. Sweat lady that one would call her a member of the church choir and wrote hymms and she was well endowed. So shortly after she started, a pipe fitter walked up to the window and asked her for a X" black nibble. Well you guessed it, a call went out to H.R. They had to calm her down and explain that the guy was not being fresh with her. It was a legit item. I met her years afterwards and I suppose she grew into her job and was not so quick to jump to conclusions. RIP Ethel. I am sure she heard about that one too.

I worked the counter at an independent electrical supply company for several years back in the day.  Had a woman come in all upset and carrying on at peak volume to prove her point and maximize her frustration for all the world to hear.  Apparently, we gave her husband the wrong device cover plate for her wall and she had to drive all the way back to our location and waste an hour of her very valuable time.  It was a 2 gang cover plate in toggle switch / duplex receptacle configuration.  Of course, she wanted the switch on the left and the receptacle on the right and was very clear in her instructions to her husband, so it was obviously our fault for giving him a plate with the switch on the right.  I spun the plate around 180 degrees on the counter right in front of her and asked, "Is that better?".  The silence was deafening for a moment or two until she had that beautiful "aha" moment of recognition wash over her entire facial expression. She then grabbed up the plate & left without saying another word.  To this day, I still shake my head every time I think about it.

I feel bad for her husband....

Worked at Radio Shack in the 1970's - I had a guy come in and wanted to buy some Ohms. .....   Within a week of that a different guy came in asking for some Amps.... 

I KID YOU NOT!

But isn't "amps" short for amplifiers?   At least that's what some folks are referencing when asking for "amps".   Guess that's another issue with the English language, so many words or abbreviations can have more than what someone else may think it means.    Not much you can do about that unless we start rephrasing and changing abbreviations to mean only one thing.   Like that's going to happen....

But isn't "amps" short for amplifiers?   At least that's what some folks are referencing when asking for "amps".   Guess that's another issue with the English language, so many words or abbreviations can have more than what someone else may think it means.    Not much you can do about that unless we start rephrasing and changing abbreviations to mean only one thing.   Like that's going to happen....

Speak of the devil. ;)

Another teen retail story.   At McDs and my order came to exactly $11.   In my wallet was a 20 and 1 dollar bill  so I handed the cheerful girl both bills.   She immediately tried to hand me back the single I gave her by 'mistake'.   I would like to have a 10 for change, I explained.  You can do that in your head?  My mouth and brain were more puzzled than hers by this exchange.  So she punched in 21 and the machine told her the change and she exclaimed too loudly  it IS $10 !       Sure wish the taxpayers could get a refund for the education she didnt get but we paid for.

Speaking of fast food.  I really hate it when they stack your coins on top of the paper money and receipt before they hand it to you.  It sometimes causes me to drop the change before I can get my hand back in the car.

I'll bet they are trained not to do that too.

Jerry

Sorry to say, but we have that problem north of the 49th as well,

What kills me, is that the people that are doing the teaching are (for the most part) "our age" (so to speak), did they fail in school or something to become teachers ?

(I'm NOT trying to bash teachers), it's just that who decides what they teach, and why do they put up with it, if it's wrong.... NEVER MIND.

I put up with the teachers that taught MY kids... I'll NOW take both of my feet out of my mouth.....

Sorry everyone !

Greg

I'll have to add my 2 cents in as well under the title ... "Language is a difficult art.. or .. know where you are ... "  

Back in the mid to late 80's I had to drive from Huntsville, TX to Laredo, TX to replace a hard drive in a Compaq PC. In the day, this wasn't a simple task. MFM drives, Compaq was proprietary etc etc ...

So I get to the location and I'm shown the PC. I open it up and realize that I needed the manual for this machine to set up the BIOS. So I locate one of the workers and asked where the manual was... they look at the clock, then look at me and announce that "Manuel is at lunch and wont be back until 1:00"

I smiled, said thank you and went back to work on the computer... I guess I didnt really Manuel or .. the manual ...

=======

Lessons Learned:

In the late 70's I worked at Radio Shack. I was "trying" to be funny when after making a sale of a stero system (my biggest sale!!) and spending 15 minutes writing it up, I flipped the sales pad around and asked the gentleman to place his "John Hancock" on the signature line.

The man signed it and spun it back around and lo and behold.. there it was .. written neatly and clearly ... John Hancock...

I looked at the gentleman and snarled.. "very funny .. you know it took me 15 minutes to write this up and now I have to do it all over again..."

The gentleman laughed at my anguish and produced his drivers license from his wallet .... John Hancock....

Never again did I EVER ask a customer to sign thier John Hancock.... <sigh... Here's your sign...>

Bob

I'll have to add my 2 cents in as well under the title ... "Language is a difficult art.. or .. know where you are ... "  

Back in the mid to late 80's I had to drive from Huntsville, TX to Laredo, TX to replace a hard drive in a Compaq PC. In the day, this wasn't a simple task. MFM drives, Compaq was proprietary etc etc ...

So I get to the location and I'm shown the PC. I open it up and realize that I needed the manual for this machine to set up the BIOS. So I locate one of the workers and asked where the manual was... they look at the clock, then look at me and announce that "Manuel is at lunch and wont be back until 1:00"

I smiled, said thank you and went back to work on the computer... I guess I didnt really Manuel or .. the manual ...

=======

Lessons Learned:

In the late 70's I worked at Radio Shack. I was "trying" to be funny when after making a sale of a stero system (my biggest sale!!) and spending 15 minutes writing it up, I flipped the sales pad around and asked the gentleman to place his "John Hancock" on the signature line.

The man signed it and spun it back around and lo and behold.. there it was .. written neatly and clearly ... John Hancock...

I looked at the gentleman and snarled.. "very funny .. you know it took me 15 minutes to write this up and now I have to do it all over again..."

The gentleman laughed at my anguish and produced his drivers license from his wallet .... John Hancock.... :D

Never again did I EVER ask a customer to sign thier John Hancock.... <sigh... Here's your sign...>

Bob

That'll teach you :lol:  :D  :)  :P  :rolleyes:

Thanks for the belly chuckle my friend.

Another teen retail story.   At McDs and my order came to exactly $11.   In my wallet was a 20 and 1 dollar bill  so I handed the cheerful girl both bills.   She immediately tried to hand me back the single I gave her by 'mistake'.   I would like to have a 10 for change, I explained.  You can do that in your head?  My mouth and brain were more puzzled than hers by this exchange.  So she punched in 21 and the machine told her the change and she exclaimed too loudly  it IS $10 !       Sure wish the taxpayers could get a refund for the education she didnt get but we paid for.

I had a similar situation at a donut shop, only it was an older lady, not a teenager.

And instead of a $10 bill she handed me 10  singles.  The look on my face had to have been something like "are you serious" but then she responded with

"It's too early, I only have ones"

It's not always the sales people.

A friend of mine works at HD, a customer wanted to buy a riding mower.

He was showing them where the gasoline went.  The customer asked

if he was expected to load the mower up and take it to the gas station every

time it needed to be fueled.

My buddy said, No, most people buy a 5 gal. gas can.

The customer turned red and walked away.

Remember the whole Scott Walker recall failure?  There are still people showing up at the capitol to sing songs of solidarity or whatever at Noon time.  They are b-itching about getting ticketed for not getting the required FREE permit.  As mentioned before, can't fix stupid!

• 3 months later...

Had another retail clerk incident this week.     Buying a 10 pack of 3/4 metal conduit for mounting lights in a straight line.   Its a bundle of 10 each 10 feet long.  

The guy scans 1 pipe in the pack and it comes up 3.67 and asks if there is anything else?   Its a TEN pack..   yes I know..   its says 3.67.      ummmm so maybe you should scan all 10?

So here I am arguing against my own interest trying to convince the guy it should be $36.70       I kind of which I had such faith in computers being right all the time like he did. 

I ordered a large diet coke at the bowling alley the other night.  The kids started asking me how many ounces 36, 44 etc...  I couldn't believe it.

Jerry