Light-O-Rama Forums

Residential vs Commercial controllers (PC v Pro)

Vinchief

I am at the point where I am done lurking and ready to plunge into the deep end with all of the light enthusiasts.....

I live in the country, small set of houses in my area with 4-8 acres each, and have a nice collection of lights (approx 40K incan and LED lights) and extension cords, so need to get them making their magic.

Intention is to buy Advanced SW, use my computer to drive, and stay wired for now plus FM xmitr (found a great thread that allowed me to find a transmitter that should work since it is ~400 ft to the road in front of my house).

The question I have is relative to the controllers. When comparing the PC vs Pro, I can see the physical and functional differences between the CTB16PC and the Pro Series 1602, but am curious about operating temperatures and environmental differences (rain, wind, snow protection). As I am in the country, we do get some decent wind and it gets a little cold in KS so want to know if there are any advantages to the Pro vs PC in this respect. I do not want to overkill by buying a Commercial controller, if I do not need it, but don't want to buy something that will not stand the environment as well.

Thank you for your advise and feedback.

There are lighters all over the world using the PC version with great success.  As far as my understanding, mainly with the Pro you're paying for the UL rating. So unless you're doing a commercial installation, its overkill for the casual homeowner.   They both function the same as far as performance.  I have seen photos of controllers in the heat, and controllers buried deep in snow and ice.  Our friends in Canada experience really low temps and I haven't heard anything from them that this causes an issue.  

If you're going to continue to use the incan's I would however suggest getting controllers with high power heat sinks just to be safe.

Thank you for the information and the high power heat sink advice too!

I cannot wait to get started, as the season is right around the corner.

Thanks again!

Agree totally with rainy. Also buy the PC card assembled kit and install the wires yourself. Easy to do and it will save you some money. Welcome to the crazies

I live in Edmonton Alberta and use the PC controllers. Yes  save a few $ and get the one where you install the wires.

If you can afford it get a spare card....just in case.

I had one but never had to use it.

That is good advice. Been awhile since I've been able to enjoy doing some good assembly on something. Like the idea of a spare card, hate to lose valuable light time!

It's going to be a great season. My wife is already planning what 'we' can do for halloween....got to get moving on it!