Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Intelligent Strips (6803)

Tech.Head

Hey guys First time here, I'm hoping to set up a DMX light-show for next Christmas. My first Start is to be able to control individual pixels on 10m of 6803 Intelligent Strip. Whats the best way to do this and Whats the cheapest way? Thanks :D

How many pixels are on the strip? Take a look at San Devices E682.. 10m could have more than 170 pixels... You would need to split it to be able to control each pixel or group them into pairs

I had 2811 strips this year. They worked flawlessly all season and cost less than 6803. I also used sandevices controller to control the strips. I will be buying two more sandevices controllers and more 2811 strips to expand my display next year.

I over looked this at the orginal post. As well it looks as if you may or may not be still here with only 1 post and no return. Perhaps this will make it to you. If you are planning only 10m I would suggest 2 CCR's. Make it easy on you, nothing extra to buy if you are already running LOR.

If you plan to buy a built board then the better value choice is a ECG-P12R because you get twice the amount of pixel control for the same price and the J1SYS is actually better for controlling the 2811 because you have the ability to adjust the data speed. The length from the controller to the first pixel is heavily dependant on the data speed, So i would take a look at the ECG-P12R or for even better value, look at the ECG-P2 controller as it is around $75 for 8 universes of pixel control.Take a look at all your options and spend the time comparing so you can make the best choice for you. The E682 is excellent value if bought in a kit to build or you plan to use GECE pixels.

But be aware that these options require you to invest time in learning and understanding and are not really plug and play options. LOR CCR may be more expensive but you do get a complete plug and play unit with fantastic warranty and support, so you need to wiegh up the best choice for you.

Edited by edvas69

whats the biggest difference between the 6803 and the 2811?

Smoother colors during medium or slow changes.

Not much difference on quick transitions.

The LOR CCR is basically a 6803 with a smart chip front end that uses software dithering to get the smooth color changes.

And it has some wonderful pre-programmed macros that can make programming easier.

Edited by Ken Benedict