Light-O-Rama Forums

Surge Protection?

Coppell

Hey, I was wondering, if it would do my Light o ramas any good, if i surge protected them. Do they have protectors built it? or are they tough enough to handle a surge? Just wondering incase I should protect them. This is my first year so thanks for the help.

-Brian

Guest wbottomley

Hey, I was wondering, if it would do my Light o ramas any good, if i surge protected them. Do they have protectors built it? or are they tough enough to handle a surge? Just wondering incase I should protect them. This is my first year so thanks for the help.

-Brian

Wasting your time. Plug them in and forget about them.

Wasting your time. Plug them in and forget about them.

I can almost agree with you, but I fried 2 CCR controllers due to a power surge. Now my situation is not common as I was running off a large portable generator so a surge protector is a must for something similar.

If you getting power from your residence...plug them and don't worry as stated. You have a better chance falling off your ladder then damaging your controllers from a surge.

All my controllers are on a GFI, but read many times from other members GFI setting all the time. Last year 2 of my GFI's pop and lost power output. I never figured out what happen, but the little green light on the GFI would still come on and reset it and worked fine...just no power coming out? I replaced them and power output worked again.

Oh, well ok. So you recommend protecting CCR controllers but not regular controllers? Thanks!

-Brian

To clarify - Kevin said that he was running off generator power, which with the exception of a few generators output fluctuating AC.

Bottom line, if using a generator, always have some sort of surge protection. If running off house AC, it's not necessary for standard controllers, or CCR controllers.

It's not the controller that is the issue, it's the power source...

You have a better chance falling off your ladder then damaging your controllers from a surge.

I have data to support this. I've fallen off a ladder, but never lost a controller to a surge...

I have data to support this. I've fallen off a ladder, but never lost a controller to a surge...

I've never lost a controller from a surge either. What's a ladder?

I have fallen from a ladder (while setting up my display) and Recently lost my cable box and a refridgerator to a power surge caused by a car taking out a pole 4 blocks away. Here is how I see it. I have the knid of luck that if it is good like winning the lotery, my odd are almost 0 in a million. If it is a surge that can wipe out my countroller that I justspent the last of my "fun money" on, I would invest a little extra and put a surge protector on it. It certainly is not going to hurt to have that little extra protection....

Just my thoughts with the kinda luck I have :D

Generally my controllers are in places that are not surge suppressor friendly. However, adding a whole home surge suppressor to your main electric pannel never hurts. But all the controllers at the city show have near zero surge suppression. Most of them are on a service panel that has no surge suppressors plugged into it. The remainder are on service that only has whatever protection is provided by any surge suppressor strips that are in use inside the building. We have lost some triacs, but nothing I would consider to be a surge related issue.