Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone else building a frame for a 12 ribbon CCR tree?

Frank Farmer

My CCR tree goes up this week. If anyone needs any detailed pictures of anything, let me know and I'll post them.

Hi Tom,

I would go with the zip ties. That's what I did 4 years ago and they are still holding.  The trick with longevity of ribbons is to put them in place and never move them.  Velcro makes me think you would consider removing the ribbons at some time, they won't last long if you do that.  I still have the original ribbons on my CCR tree without ever having a bad pixel.

Another option you might consider is silicon. I put my roofline ribbons on 4 years ago with silicon and they are still holding too.  They also are on the aluminum tubing. This tubing/ribbons has been exposed to the weather and sun for over 4 year, running 24 hours a day. Check out my web-site photo gallery to see what they look like.

Frank

Hi Tom,

I would go with the zip ties. That's what I did 4 years ago and they are still holding.  The trick with longevity of ribbons is to put them in place and never move them.  

Frank

I'm using square aluminum tubing for the first time this year will be affixing the ribbons with zip ties. But how do you store the legs when the season is over? I'm worried about the ribbons getting beat up in the transportation from one place to another. Thanks.

Thanks frank , I've read all your comments on this and followed a lot of your instructions. I riveted my frame together. I have a place to store it. As of last year I was using rope to hang my ribbons. I have 2 unrepairable ribbons being replaced now.

Tom

I'm using square aluminum tubing for the first time this year will be affixing the ribbons with zip ties. But how do you store the legs when the season is over? I'm worried about the ribbons getting beat up in the transportation from one place to another. Thanks.

At the end of the year I unassembled the tree and wrap each pole with ribbons in bubble wrap.  It gets stored on top of some shelves I have in the garage.  See picture.

I just bought a box of bubble wrap and cut it in the lengths I needed. Then used rubber bands to hold them in place. That way I can use it year after year.

http://lightshow.franktronics.net/wp-content/gallery/building-the-12-ribbon-rgb-pixel-tree-with-6-channel-star/IMG_20130807_112330_8021.jpg

At the end of the year I unassembled the tree and wrap each pole with ribbons in bubble wrap.  It gets stored on top of some shelves I have in the garage.  See picture.

I just bought a box of bubble wrap and cut it in the lengths I needed. Then used rubber bands to hold them in place. That way I can use it year after year.

http://lightshow.franktronics.net/wp-content/gallery/building-the-12-ribbon-rgb-pixel-tree-with-6-channel-star/IMG_20130807_112330_8021.jpg

Thanks Frank. I'm going to try that when this year's display comes down. Looks like a great solution. Had to repair way too many ribbons over the summer and would like to get that behind me.

I tried to drill  3/16 and a larger hose to rivet it with a 1/2 rivet but the nose of the rivet gun didn't fit down in the hole. So I used 7/8 rivets and riveted through the 3/4 tubing. Also a few more pics on the way.

Thanks for all the help

post-3288-0-65917300-1447725940_thumb.jp

post-3288-0-32709300-1447726092_thumb.jp

post-3288-0-65886700-1447726242_thumb.jp

post-3288-0-82115700-1447726255_thumb.jp

post-3288-0-60988000-1447726272_thumb.jp

post-3288-0-72497800-1447726280_thumb.jp

never mind the ccr tree post a picture of the Mustang

Yes yes.  My first car was a 67 Mustang  that slowly became a "Little Red" replica.  After 25 years I had to sell it :( It was spending too much time under a car cover, and someone needed to be enjoying it.  Now it cruses around Pebble Beach. 

Quick question, I bought  16 x16 x 4" cement block and attached a 2000lb winch, will that hold while i winch my CCR tree to the house ? I'm attaching a eye bolt and pulley to the top of the eves ? :)

Quick question, I bought  16 x16 x 4" cement block and attached a 2000lb winch, will that hold while i winch my CCR tree to the house ? I'm attaching a eye bolt and pulley to the top of the eves ? :)

Larry,

It depends on how much that block weighs and where your attachment point is.  My tree is like yours with a slightly smaller star, and four of us leaned it against my flagpole with ease.  As long as you don't generate more force than the weight of the block, you should be fine.

FYI, if you had one person to help lift at the star end, you could probably pull it up yourself with the pulley and a rope, not even using a winch. Once it gets above a 45 degree angle, it gets pretty light.

• Like 1

Thanks for the Input Cytuden, the winch I got has a remote, so I will be lifting while the winch is pulling.

Thanks for the Input Cytuden, the winch I got has a remote, so I will be lifting while the winch is pulling.

I use a block and tackle approach to pull mine up:  Rope start on the tree head to a double pulley at the top, back down to a pulley on the tree and back up to the double pulley on top and back down again to me.  Each loop of the rope reduces the weight needed on the pulling end to counter the weight of the tree. 

I've been thinking of putting a wench up top, may I ask what wench you are using?  And once you have it up will you use the wench to keep it up or are us securing with another mechanism? 

I've been thinking of putting a wench up top, may I ask what wench you are using?  And once you have it up will you use the wench to keep it up or are us securing with another mechanism? 

Won't she mind being stuck up top. :o

• Like 1

I bought a 2000lb winch from Harbor Freight, it was only 59.00, has 50 feet of cable, and a wireless remote. Yes it will also hold the tree to the house,