Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone else building a frame for a 12 ribbon CCR tree?

Frank Farmer

That is very nice. I like the tool/electrical box, the whole project looks very well made. Can't wait to see some video.

Alan...

• Like 1

Great pictures Larry, thanks for posting them.

I like the use of the wing-nuts, good idea.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for a good place to purchase the Aluminum to build this frame, it seems as though the price of Aluminum has shot up the last few months, I've searched online and I cant find anyone who can get the pricing you guys are getting it for out here in Southern Ca. Any Suggestions?

Edited by godman

Looking for a good place to purchase the Aluminum to build this frame, it seems as though the price of Aluminum has shot up the last few months, I've searched online and I cant find anyone who can get the pricing you guys are getting it for out here in Southern Ca. Any Suggestions?

Have you checked at your local FAB shops? That where i got mine.

Thanks Larry,

I checked over a dozen places here locally and the best price I was able to get was 1.12 per ft, and free delivery, worked out to $26.88 per 24' piece and I could only get the tubing in 16' or 24' sections so I went with 18 24ft pieces. I'm doing a 16 tree frame. I'll be doing some cutting!

Anyone make this frame for a 16 CCR Tree? 

@ Larry, I was looking at your pics, Why the nut between the Brace and strips? Does it serve a purpose?

Thanks,

Well, today I have all the ccr's mounted to the tree, Tonight I will be running Yellow Snow sequence and try to take some pic's and video's. I do not have the star installed on the tree yet, It still needs the front attached.  

@ Larry, I was looking at your pics, Why the nut between the Brace and strips? Does it serve a purpose?

Thanks,

If you are talking about the bolts that hold the star in place, I'll bet I can answer that because I'm doing the same thing.  The nuts keeps the bolts attached to the star, so the star can be removed from the frame without having to take the star apart.  Unscrewing all 50 little screws that hold the front panel of the star on is a real pain when all you need to do is tighten the bolts holding the star in place.  In my case, the star is removed from the frame for off-season storage, and i did not initially have it set up this way.  Had to take the star apart (all 50 screws) to get the front cover off so I could bolt the star in place.  Not fun!

Anyone make this frame for a 16 CCR Tree? 

Yes, but a little different design, especially when it comes to the star attachment and attaching the legs to the star. In the past I've had trouble with a CCR developing problems with a few pixels or more. So bad that I needed to take down the CCR and replace it mid-season. I needed a simple way to remove the tree leg, remove the bad CCR, replace it and then put the single leg back in place without the need to take down the entire tree. And working up on a ladder at 16' wasn't an option for me, even though I did it a couple of years ago. The tree is a work in progress and I'll post more information as it moves along.

If you are talking about the bolts that hold the star in place, I'll bet I can answer that because I'm doing the same thing.  The nuts keeps the bolts attached to the star, so the star can be removed from the frame without having to take the star apart.  Unscrewing all 50 little screws that hold the front panel of the star on is a real pain when all you need to do is tighten the bolts holding the star in place.  In my case, the star is removed from the frame for off-season storage, and i did not initially have it set up this way.  Had to take the star apart (all 50 screws) to get the front cover off so I could bolt the star in place.  Not fun!

Yes, the regular nuts hold the reinforcement brackets to the star, then the wing nuts will hold the star to the tree, At Christmas time i might do away with the wing nuts and just use regular nuts. 

So the fun begins..........I'll need to alter Franks plans a bit cause I'm doing a 16 ribbon frame

post-11409-0-27404800-1431598786_thumb.j

Edited by godman
  • Like 1

I changed Frank plans also, I made it a little less wide at the bottom, I also changed how the star is attached, Instead of using the outer 2 uprights, I went in to the second and 11th uprights.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried the 3/4 : PVC and it just didn't work, I finally found the 3/4 x 3/4 aluminum that Frank used and created basically the same frame except I went 16 strips. I also went with a 6-1/2 width at the bottom and it looks terrific, I can't imagine going 12-14" as some have done.... :o At 12" that would be 16ft in width, that's HUGE!!!!!! :blink::mellow:

• 1 month later...

Larry,

Did you use LEDs on your star? I see some boxes in the picture, but not sure. Brian says he can build me a star, but his lights won't work with it. Spacing is off. How did you go about getting counts right?