Light-O-Rama Forums

Vampire Butt Connectors

colonel

Amperage rating is based on the Guage of the Wire

BUT

Voltage Rating is Based on the TYPE OF INSULATION and its Thickness

My two cents worth says to use C7 bulbs on SPT1 or SPT2 wire.

Get preassembled sockets or install your own just as long as you need them to be.

It's all 120 volts AC no matter which strings are put onto the trees in what order.

Run a longer length for the male plug and you're good to go.

Your situation is you have 30 wonderful trees to decorate (I'm jealous) and a gajillion sockets to install (I'm not jealous).

Also you have invested a lot already in the LED style of lights.

The type of lights you have, have strange wiring (some are in series, some are in parallel with each other) and some resistors and maybe some diodes thrown in the mix.

Those are difficult lights to customize without a bit more engineering on your part.

That engineering is risky and all of the above people are trying to keep you from turning into a crispy critter.

If these were low voltage strings (5v-24v) and you made a mistake, you would just let the Secret Smoke out, and learn from it.

I'm not sure that there's an easy solution, unless others have a novel (and safe) idea.

Any other suggestions, anyone?

Edited by Ken Benedict

Honestly I think the easiest would be to use either black out caps or like you mentioned tape off the lights you don't want to see, but that would end up being costly and wasteful with the amount of lost lights. The next best bet would be like Stephen said and I would cut, strip soldier, seems to be easier than having to crimp so much.

Sorry need to finish off part of this O.T.

Mike no problem using me for the min. BTW each time the shock was across the one hand from say thumb to pinky.

Note about those Scotch loks. In my mind but forgot to mention. What if the insulation is say 32VDC. What happens when you then wrap them in standard black electric tape? Is it now possible to use those connections without worry about getting shocked while handling them with power applied? Cause that is how I would install them. First a good wrap on one then a wraps of electric tape around both to hide those blue or red splices to make it look neater.

Thats all I got to say about this. Sorry Col.