Light-O-Rama Forums

Ray Wu's Store

rgardner518

Looks like more action on RGB strobes is occurring. This one doesn't quite have the POP of the xenon prototype, but we're heading in the right direction.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rgardner518

• Surfing4Dough

• thobby04@gmail.com

• trafficman

George Simmons wrote:

Looks like more action on RGB strobes is occurring. This one doesn't quite have the POP of the xenon prototype, but we're heading in the right direction.

I like his $20 CCR from Ebay!

I wish I new where to buy the strobe from? He says it cost under $10. But does not say where to get it.

No edit.

But it take back my comment about the $20 CCR. Its not the same!

In reguards to this item: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/529593664/Colourful_Sprial_Xenon_Flash_Tube_Strobe.html

This is the answer I got!

Send to: Ray Gardner
Date: Fri 02 Mar. 2012 21:03
Message Origin: China (Mainland)
Message IP: 125.93.109.*

i want to know what color do you want and the voltages of the tube is 220~400v. may be you can come into our website to know more about the flash tube.

best regard!
dongguan ryel ltd
wisson ji
2012-3-4

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

In reguards to this item:  http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/529593664/Colourful_Sprial_Xenon_Flash_Tube_Strobe.html

This is the answer I got!

Date: Fri  02 Mar. 2012  21:03
Message Origin:    China (Mainland)
Message IP:   125.93.109.*

i want to know what color do you want and the voltages of the tube is 220~400v. may be you can come into our website to know more about the flash tube.

best regard!
dongguan ryel ltd
wisson ji
2012-3-4

Interesting! From his reply, it appears ANY color can be made. But can the "inert gas" inside the tube be colored and still look clear?

That's the question that really hasn't been answered.

Colored glass is easy, it's the Xenon inert gas inside we're all interested in knowing abou.

If that can be colored and still look like a clear glass Xenon tube?

It's funny you said that. This is what I said to him, with his response.

[line]RE: RE: Please send me more information on your Xenon Flash Tube,Flash Tube,Strobe Light
Send to: wison Ji
Date: Sat 03 Mar. 2012 11:59

dongguan ryel ltd,
I need green too! I need red, blue and green. How are they made? Does the "inert gas" inside the tube colored? Or is the glass painted that color? Can you make them 110v?

Ray
[line]

His response!

RE: RE: RE: Please send me more information on your Xenon Flash Tube,Flash Tube,Strobe Light
Date: Sat 03 Mar. 2012 22:05

dear gardner:
we know you said The power supply voltage is 120 volts, we intended that after the capacitor is fully charged, the voltage across the capacitor can reach to 250 ~ 300 volts, our company can make red, blue and the yellow. and i know that there​ is no company anywhere that can make the green tube in china

best regard
dongguan ryel ltd
wisson ji
2012-3-4

That was a fast response from the seller! I just sent this message and got a response that EVERYONE is going to want to know!

THE STROBES ON THAT RGB WEBSITE ARE FAKE!

[line]
RE: RE: RE: RE: Please send me more information on your Xenon Flash Tube,Flash Tube,Strobe Light
Date: Sat 03 Mar. 2012 22:26

Wisson Ji,

How is this made? Is the "inert gas" inside the tube colored?
Or
Is the outside of the glass painted that color?

Ray

[line]
RE: RE: RE: RE: Please send me more information on your Xenon Flash Tube,Flash Tube,Strobe Light
Date: Sat 03 Mar. 2012 22:28

Ray,

yes the outside of the glass painted that color

best regard
dongguan ryel ltd
wisson ji
2012-3-4

[line]
Date: Sat 03 Mar. 2012 22:32

Wisson Ji,

Does the paint were off?
Will the paint scratch off?
Or,
Is it bake/cooked on the glass?
Do you sell the boards the Strobes soilder too?
Thanks for all of your help in responding?

Ray

[line]

I just got another response!

[line]RE: RE: Flash Tube,Flash Tube,Strobe Light
Date: Sat 03 Mar. 2012 22:49

Dear Ray Gardner,

IT Is baked on the glass,and it can withstand 600 degree .
i am sorry i couldn`t understand what`s the boards the Strobes soilder mean???

wission

[line]RE: RE: RE: Flash Tube,Flash Tube,Strobe Light
Date: Sat 03 Mar. 2012 23:00

wission,

There is a website that says there is an RGB Strobe. The uses three Bulbs. One blue, one red, and one green. And the gas inside is whats colored
http://www.rgbstrobelights.com/index.html
But from what your telling me, is there is no possible way this stobe advertised on the website can be done. Correct?

Ray

That's EXACTLY the answers I expected too! That the inert gas CAN NOT be colored, only the glass, so someone is definitely yanking our chain on those RGB strobes.

I always thought those claims of the inert gas inside the tube is what makes the color effect was completely BOGUS!

Someone just has some good video editing skills to pull that one off.

Thanks nyyankee for contacting the seller and getting this information to us!

Now WE KNOW the TRUE FACTS about that video and those bogus strobe bulbs!

So I'm confused? Then how did they make these in the video? These are what would look great in a display. Anybody find them elsewhere?

www.vimeo.com/35833545

I have some experience with strobe lights and the technology.. all be it from some time back I think I still remember a lot about it.

First off, Xenon will flash white.. no other color. Somewhere between 5000K-6000K The painted on color if baked and able to withstand 600F should do pretty well, but since the spectrum is so broad from the tube, I would suspect the paint will only work if it is good enough at blocking the other colors of the spectrum contained in the flash. Otherwise you will get a white looking flash with a hint of the color you have painted on the tube.

I tube like what is pictured will most likely want to see a voltage of around 300VDC or so.. how it is pumped will determine the voltage needed.

You will have to have a high voltage trigger to fire it off. A simple trigger transformer is common for that purpose.

The electronics around all of this is pretty simple and straight forward but you have to limit the available energy to the lamp to the watt second spec or you could explode the tube. When that lamp fires it become almost a dead short to the circuit feeding it and therefore you must limit the energy which it can consume.

Another thing to think about is the flash rate at the watt second rating you want. Too many flashes per second at too high a WS rating and you will kill the tube.

After all that long winded reply, I would suggest colored lenses instead. That way you can use standard strobes and call it a day... however, the color from different lenses will yield different results. Use good ones!

Have fun with it all!

Surfing4Dough wrote:

So I'm confused?  Then how did they make these in the video?  These are what would look great in a display.  Anybody find them elsewhere?

www.vimeo.com/35833545

WARNING: this is a long winded response - felt a little more explaination was necessary here.

It's called video editing. If you know how, you can go in and create special colorized effects in a video. How they did that strobe video was probably done something like this, videoed a single common Xenon strobe bulb against a blue background (for the red and green bulbs), filmed against a green background for the blue bulb.

Basically what you are more than likely seeing is 3 of the SAME bulb, filmed and edited to add the color against a background that can be removed as you edit the video before its final creation. Then once you remove the background effect(s), it appears you have 3 strobes that flash different colors or even a single strobe that can flash several colors, i.e. the RGB strobe bulb(s) in that video.

From all my resources checked, nyyankees responses from a MANUFACTURER of these type bulbs, and PlasmaDrives information, unfortunately this all points to the facts that this video of the RGB Strobe bulbs WAS and IS A FAKE!

The only way is to use filters as PlasmaDrive states, the better the filter the better the look of the "colored" flash. But it's very doubtful we'll ever see a true RGB strobe anytime soon.

However with technological advances, I would never say it may not be possible someday, just not at the time of these comments.

Orville wrote:

WARNING: this is a long winded response - felt a little more explaination was necessary here.

First off, nothing new there! :(

Orville wrote:
It's called video editing. If you know how, you can go in and create special colorized effects in a video. How they did that strobe video was probably done something like this, videoed a single common Xenon strobe bulb against a blue background (for the red and green bulbs), filmed against a green background for the blue bulb.

Basically what you are more than likely seeing is 3 of the SAME bulb, filmed and edited to add the color against a background that can be removed as you edit the video before its final creation. Then once you remove the background effect(s), it appears you have 3 strobes that flash different colors or even a single strobe that can flash several colors, i.e. the RGB strobe bulb(s) in that video.

From all my resources checked, nyyankees responses from a MANUFACTURER of these type bulbs, and PlasmaDrives information, unfortunately this all points to the facts that this video of the RGB Strobe bulbs WAS and IS A FAKE!

The only way is to use filters as PlasmaDrive states, the better the filter the better the look of the "colored" flash. But it's very doubtful we'll ever see a true RGB strobe anytime soon.

However with technological advances, I would never say it may not be possible someday, just not at the time of these comments.

Pretty impressive video editing if you ask me. I have done a little video editing in my life, and I agree if you were just talking about the object itself changing color (as you described above) such as you would see on a traffic light changing color. But if you look at the video, the strobe effect itself changes colors (even illuminating other objects/background), not just the bulb. That would be very difficult to create artificially.

Then if you look at the other video they posted, there are multiple colors at once which again would be very difficult to reproduce via video editing.

All I know is that it would create a stunning effect and it does seem too good to be true, but that wouldn't be the first time I was wrong saying that as I continue to be amazed how many advances continue to be made in this realm. Never would have guessed that individually controlled RGB pixel strings would have been possible for our displays, but clearly that has become a reality. I guess I will just have to be hesitantly hopeful that RGB strobes like this will pan out too.

@surfing: You shouldn't be so amazed that this can be done with video editors, Hollywood does this kind of effect all the time in the movies we watch in the cinemas and even TV programs.

If the person has a strong ability to work or have access to these software packages, and many can be purchased for home use, expensive yes, but you get what you pay for.

So it doesn't and would not surprise me that someone with the proper software and ability to manipulate could pull off something like this.

Todays video editors are so much more sophisticated than when I first bought mine about 10 years ago, which I still use to create my final cuts of my display.

If I had the ability, I could clean those up and it would and could look just like what you would see in person.

Unfortunately for me, I lack that ability and my software is nowhere near as sophisticated as to be able to pull of the effects that are in that RGB Strobes video,

But it can be done!

Too bad we don't {or do we?} have any special effects graphic artists {Computer Generated effects} here on the forum that work this type of Hollywood magic in the film industry, as I'm 100% positive they'd back up my statements of how video editing could accomplish this.

And probably give you better details on how it's done than I have.

I have some more emails on the subject, that I was saving, because I though we got our answer. But here is more from the manufacturer:

[line]
Flash Tube,Flash Tube,Strobe Light
Date: Sat 03 Mar. 2012 23:07

Ray

our color was paint on the tube, may be this website was said that they​ paint on the outside glass Shell, not no the inside`s flash tube.so they can make many kind of color...hahaha...you can look the picture of that website. They can not put it in glass like picture impossible.

wisson

[line]RE: Flash Tube,Flash Tube,Strobe Light
Date: Sat 03 Mar. 2012 23:17

Wisson,

I don't understand you response? Are you saying yes, they are lying on that website?

Ray

[line]
RE: RE: Flash Tube,Flash Tube,Strobe Light
Date: Sat 03 Mar. 2012 23:31

Ray

you can come into that website and look the pictures again,you will know the reason.they use the flash tube with the usual tube,the tube was white,on color painted of the tube.
but why would they said they can flash the colourful light???
because​ they made the color on the​ plastic Shell......you know videos fake if you slow down you see!!!

wisson ji

[line]

Well in the strobe video around timestamp 0:26, if you scroll the video bar, you will see in the lower left hand corner a blue spike/waveform{?} that looks to be captured from a computer screen. You have to scroll slowly and carefully and you'll see some strange issues in this video.

I just scrolled it like this and it does appear to be faked.

Guess, we'll just have to wait and see when March 31, 2012 rolls in and see if they will be available.

BTW: I also looked very closely at those "RGB" Xenon tubes, they look nothing like a regular Xenon tube inside them, they look to have small LED's and some type of copper wiring inside.

So I'm still not very convinced these are actually real.

But like said, we'll see when 3/31/2012 rolls in when they are supposed to go on sale for purchase.

Now if anyone buys them, please let us know if you get them and how they worked.

I, myself, however am not going to take the chance, but if someone else wants to go for it, and then tell the rest of us the results, we'll all be waiting patiently here for your review.

That BTW: is I blew up and looked at those Xenon RGB Strobes in one the still photo's on the site. Doesn't appear to be gas too me, but what looks like possibly LED bulbs near the back of the tubes where the power wires come out of the bulb on either side.