Light-O-Rama Forums

RGBSB sequence builder, v2

smeighan

on the DLA forum, people have said my tool name rgbsb sucks.

I agree, my name sucks.

I have signed up for the Academy, I may speak about rgbsb (or whatever) we call it by then. I expect i should have all three sequencers working. I hope movies are done. I expect i will get the physics effects (snowstorms, fireworks, waves) finished.

I have an idea of how to sequence multiple effects one to the next. This sort of gets this to be more like a sequencer.

I'll let you in on a secret, it has always been my plan,for myself, to pass in a timeline with beats and create most of the rgb sequencing and then bring back the whole thing and use Vixen or LSP to sequence the rest of the front yard for the non rgb stuff.

In other words, i haven't envisioned this as one effect, one import. Another effect, another import. This vision is probably going to be done by end of summer or fall.

But who knows, sometimes things go faster than i expected.

I am open to any name.

So what would be a good name to replace rgbsb (A clunky name, i admit)? Programmers are not marketing

Being that my tool spans all the sequencers , i currently am posting the same message in 6 threads

Since i started the tool , there have been approx 3700 views on the threads.
Half of these view hits have occurred since releasing the new effects (I started Feb 21?, seems longer ago than that). Over the last 3 days, these are views per thread

PlanetChristmas: 129
DLA LSP Group: 371
DLA Vixen Group: 335
DoitYourselfChristmas: 634
LOR: 467
AusChristmas: 167

Here are the 6 threads i post to

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/in...ilderindexphp/
http://diylightanimation.com/index.php?topic=7793.0
http://diylightanimation.com/index.php?topic=8072.15
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...bitrary-object
http://forums.lightorama.com/forum81/32430.html
http://auschristmaslighting.com/foru...ic,1799.0.html

I have got valuable feedback from all of the groups. I dug this hole "I will support all sequencers", i will deliver on the promise by summer.

So any ideas of what to replace rgbsb with?

thanks

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smeighan

• WilliamS

• ItsMeBobO

• hdracer

sounds like the LOR regardless of history has the most attention, so finish it up for us.

RGBSB is fine, the name is not as important as the function.

pikadroo wrote:

Ah yes, amorphous blobs.. nice! =D

How about "Pixel Bitch Slap' for a name. LOL maybe that is too rough. History is always important with names, so what about your avatar as a logo, call it "Pixel Solider". Either way I am thinking it needs to be something that says up front no nonsense let's get this done so we can move on to watching the show and sipping hot coco. 

Drew

It is a good thought Drew. The nutcrackers hold a special place with me and my boys. They turn 11 next month and the time for being the center of their world is going to fade. My daughter is 40, my oldest sons are 34 and 32, my wifes daughter is 20 and we have twin 10yo. 6 kids, 30 years apart. I am enjoying this second time as a dad.

They are approaching the age when Irma Bombeck said "Bury your kids at 13 and dig them up at 21".

They helped me last year set up our decorations at Christmas. This year we want to do a haunted house.

thanks

GoofyGuy wrote:

sounds like the LOR regardless of history has the most attention, so finish it up for us.

Goofy; i am not pending time thinking about the name. I dont have any ego wrapped in what i call it.

You have posted numerous times about get it finished. I am working on the core of the tool as we speak. There is alot to do.

These are the big piles
1) Get effects. This is basically done. Just making it so that effects i already have would probably satisfy all three sequencer groups. When i get frustrated with progress in tasks #2 and #3 , i come back and create another effect. I can create them fast and they give visual feedback. they are like sequencer crack.

2) RGBSB Modeler. This is VERY important. This is the sql database that will store the target models for each of you. If I cannot model your trees exactly like they appear in the real world in x,y,z space you WONT be able to use rgbsb. I consider this the highest priority. I have stated that it will be released for people to build targets this weekend. Notice my local time.

3) with the above two done i will have one file produced for each frame of animation. 50ms time quantum and a 4 second sequence, i will have 80 files.

I have already written a tool that reads this list of files and produces an lms file. The problem i had is i dont have a valid target file to use.

thanks

I have stated i would get this done by summer. I now have signed up to speak at the Academy June 15-17th. http://www.theultimateacademy.com/ This puts a deadline on what i mean by "the summer".

I am going to want to have finished all 3 of the above for at least one sequencer. My stretch goal is to finish all 3 sequencers. I would also like to have a user manual.

On sunday i will gather the name suggestions from all 6 threads and create a poll and let everyone vote.

sometime next week, ill pick one. The name is not my focus, getting a functional tool in all your hands is.

My goal for summer is to have finished LSP 2.0, Vixen 2.1.1 and LOR S2.

I will then continue to work to get LSP 1.8, Vixen 2.5 and 3.0 and LOR S3 over the summer/fall.

thanks

Im busting you chops as you know over the Aus forums. Your doing something I cant imagine in terms of scale as I am not that inclined as Im assuming these are using so many codes in excel or a program of the such I would simply just light my computer on fire and walk away. I also said if you need anything tested from S3 I would do so no issue. Keep it up the models are great, the text makes it better!

smeighan wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:

Goofy; i am not pending time thinking about the name. I dont have any ego wrapped in what i call it.

You have posted numerous times about get it finished. I am working on the core of the tool as we speak. There is alot to do.

These are the big piles
1) Get effects. This is basically done. Just making it so that effects i already have would probably satisfy all three sequencer groups. When i get frustrated with progress in tasks #2 and #3 , i come back and create another effect. I can create them fast and they give visual feedback. they are like sequencer crack.

2) RGBSB Modeler. This is VERY important. This is the sql database that will store the target models for each of you. If I cannot model your trees exactly like they appear in the real world in x,y,z space you WONT be able to use rgbsb. I consider this the highest priority. I have stated that it will be released for people to build targets this weekend. Notice my local time.

3) with the above two done i will have one file produced for each frame of animation. 50ms time quantum and a 4 second sequence, i will have 80 files.

I have already written a tool that reads this list of files and produces an lms file. The problem i had is i dont have a valid target file to use.

thanks

I have stated i would get this done by summer. I now have signed up to speak at the Academy June 15-17th. http://www.theultimateacademy.com/ This puts a deadline on what i mean by "the summer".

I am going to want to have finished all 3 of the above for at least one sequencer. My stretch goal is to finish all 3 sequencers. I would also like to have a user manual.

On sunday i will gather the name suggestions from all 6 threads and create a poll and let everyone vote.

sometime next week, ill pick one. The name is not my focus, getting a functional tool in all your hands is.

My goal for summer is to have finished LSP 2.0, Vixen 2.1.1 and LOR S2.

I will then continue to work to get LSP 1.8, Vixen 2.5 and 3.0 and LOR S3 over the summer/fall.

thanks

Pic Up Lines

Goofy is just excited Sean! Me too. But I dont think I can afford a tree this year. Maybe something much smaller like a few circles.

I am going to support my effects on what I call rays. I believe you will be able to many cool effects with something as small as 3 strings folded in half to make 6 strands.

I want to build this smaller target ( think 6 vertical strands of 25 pixels each) .
Maybe I should think of what to call these. Done vertically I could design effects like star fall, meteors, spirals, chases

Laid out horizontally you could the full capability of text, chases, .etc.

In other words, I want 3 string target and effects to allow Ana entry point for more people.

smeighan wrote:

I am going to support my effects on what I call rays. I believe you will be able to many cool effects with something as small as 3 strings folded in half to make 6 strands.

I want to build this smaller target ( think 6 vertical strands of 25 pixels each) .
Maybe I should think of what to call these. Done vertically I could design effects like star fall, meteors, spirals, chases

Laid out horizontally you could the full capability of text, chases, .etc.

In other words, I want 3 string target and effects to allow Ana entry point for more people.

This one will be great, mainly because that's what I have! I will be using 9 strings of 42 pixels! Thanks again Sean!

shfr26 wrote:

Name, pixelnut nutty pixel, who cares. The just don't call it goofypixel please.

That hurts man, were only 15 minutes away and you cut me deep. Although if he called it that Im sure it would fail quickly based on name alone. Gonna have to catch up to you, for some layout ideas. Do you do a halloween display too?

Jeff Millard wrote:

Can you provide suggestions for the optimum number of strings and pixels for the tree? If I'm going to make this thing I want to get the right number of parts. I'd just like to say that this tool you're making for the community, is the one thing missing that prevented me from trying to create anything this elaborate. Sharing your talents is especially kind of you. I won't waste your time trying to suggest a name as I wouldn't be able to think of anything better than what's already been suggested here...

Thank you for the time and effort you've put into it.

Jeff

Hi jeff;

As soon as the target modeler and the effects generator comes online , you will be able make dozens of hypothetical trees and see how they improve with more strands.

Let me illustrate what i think might be true

wow_effect_of_pixels.png

is the wow effect of your rgb display directly related to pixel count(RED line)?

Or are there certain levels that jump the wow effect (BLUE line)?

I think, not yet proved, that it is more like the BLUE line. For example once you reach a certain pixel count then scrolling text works, reach another level and animated movies start to reach an aha moment.

I am not going to be building a tree until the summer or fall but id do expect that i will know exactly what to expect for any pixel count.

thanks

GoofyGuy wrote:

shfr26 wrote:
Name, pixelnut nutty pixel, who cares. The just don't call it goofypixel please.

That hurts man, were only 15 minutes away and you cut me deep. Although if he called it that Im sure it would fail quickly based on name alone. Gonna have to catch up to you, for some layout ideas. Do you do a halloween display too?

Nope, no Halloween. I've heard that story before, "I'll come up and talk to you ", like two months ago, and you never showed up. Therefore, "You cut me deeper".