Light-O-Rama Forums

flash to the music?

cnobles21

cnobles21 wrote:

i basically want some lights to flash to the bass, others to flash to the mids and highs for all songs that are playing. is there a simple way to do that with this software and make it automated so i dont have to create a sequence for every song for a playlist that is several hours long?

This is 3rd party software that MAY or may not do what you want.

http://nopotatos.com/LORVis/

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JBullard

• LightORamaDan

• WilliamS

• Dr. Jones

Top Posters In This Topic

The vu wizard is very fast and easy to use and would do the same thing,make the lights bounce to the beat

The other option is a plain old color organ circuit. Easy to build, and as mentioned it breaks the music down by frequency and amplitude, usually into 3 (or rarely 4) bands based on frequencies.

I still have one tree that uses a color organ circuit, using retro C7 LEDs (R, G and :D. Folks like it, and I like all of the "programming" it takes.. one LOR channel to turn it on (using a SSR), and then off.

Another something different to add to a display...

It gives an analog interpretation of music to the display, and is like comparing vinyl to CDs I suppose!

Greg

PS I liked William's troll collection.. that was pretty extensive. So now I know what goes on behind the scenes at studios..

james campbell wrote:

The vu wizard is very fast and easy to use and would do the same thing,make the lights  bounce to the beat

How do you assign bass, middle and high freg in the vu wizard.

I was not aware that the vu wizard would control lights in REAL time, like the OP asked about.

LORvis is the only thing I am aware of that will do that.

JBullard wrote:

james campbell wrote:
The vu wizard is very fast and easy to use and would do the same thing,make the lights bounce to the beat

I was not aware that the vu wizard would control lights in REAL time, like the OP asked about.

It will look like high and low points in a song, imho it would work just fine,but it will take a little work just not plug and play

james campbell wrote:

JBullard wrote:
james campbell wrote:
The vu wizard is very fast and easy to use and would do the same thing,make the lights  bounce to the beat

It will look like high and low points in a song, imho it would work just fine,but it will take a little work just not plug and play

Responding to VOLUME not frequency and still not REAL time.

JBullard wrote:

james campbell wrote:

I think I started the VU wizard thing. I misread the original post and missed the "without" part when talking about a sequence.

So you are correct there isn't a way to do it in LOR without a sequence. The referenced plugin is the only way I know of that will do it.

Also thanks to whoever used the word troll when referencing Williams post. I did not realize those dolls were called trolls. I now understand the meaning of the post. (told you I was not all that smart :D

Thanks
Dan

Most DJs have their music on a laptop. If thkme OP has his music on laptop, then LORVis will blink the lights to music jyst like a color organ.

No need for LOR software or a presequence of the song.

JBullard wrote:

james campbell wrote:

It doesn't! I use the Vu Wizard, Tapper Wizard and Beat Wizard, NONE control lights in real time!

However, the LORVis plug in, although somewhat interesting, doesn't really do any justice, it is limited to only a single controller, 16 channels and even then, many times more lights are on than wanted. I've played around with it, it's interesting, but just won't really suffice for what the OP is wanting to do.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Ok, obviously somebody is missing something here!!!! either it's a word, sentence, idea or brain cells..

How can VU or Vis or any plugin work if there is NO computer to run the plugin? Reading Comprehension wasnt my strongest subject (was a math major), but either I'm missing a "not" word or something else I dont see that you do, but what do you see that says the OP can use just a music player, an amp right into a 16PC (or the like) as a color organ with whatever plugins you can imagine without anything that has an OS???

Vu, Vis, Vidi, vichie, none of it matters if you dont have a machine to RUN the plugin!!!!

Fire away...

This reply was based on the first post in the thread where the OP wrote:

..i have not received my lor software yet and am just trying to get ahead of the game. i basically want some lights to flash to the bass, others to flash to the mids and highs for all songs that are playing. is there a simple way to do that with this software and make it automated...

There were subsiquent posts where the OP talked about a hardware solution as well. I addressed that in a seperate reply.

Dan

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Ok, obviously somebody is missing something here!!!! either it's a word, sentence, idea or brain cells..

How can VU or Vis or any plugin work if there is NO computer to run the plugin? Reading Comprehension wasnt my strongest subject (was a math major), but either I'm missing a "not" word or something else I dont see that you do, but what do you see that says the OP can use just a music player, an amp right into a 16PC (or the like) as a color organ with whatever plugins you can imagine without anything that has an OS???

Vu, Vis, Vidi, vichie, none of it matters if you dont have a machine to RUN the plugin!!!!

Fire away...

Then let me show you in their first post {bolded and italicized}:

so i am brand new to the lightorama thing. i have several projects in mind. i plan to create some pretty cool christmas and halloween light displays like the ones i see on youtube. also i do some dj-ing at alot of my friends partys and other events. i was wonddring if there is any sort of tutorial on how to take different channels and make them flash to the bass, mids, or high notes of whatever song is playing on my playlist without creating a separate sequence for each song. i have not received my lor software yet and am just trying to get ahead of the game. i basically want some lights to flash to the bass, others to flash to the mids and highs for all songs that are playing. is there a simple way to do that with this software and make it automated so i dont have to create a sequence for every song for a playlist that is several hours long?

Why would he be even looking at the LOR software if he wasn't planning on using a computer?

So that to me states he was planning on a computer to run the lights, but wanted the software to do it in real time WITHOUT ever creating a sequence, which with LOR is not possible.

The LORVis plugin, as stated earlier will do this, but not as well as the OP would want.

Call me crazy but someone else mentioned using dmx on the controllers. Without a computer using a industry standard dmx lighting console would most likely do exactly what you want to do. And with a computer and a way to connect up there is lots of software out there both free and way too much imho. Somewhere like Musician's friend, pssl.com etc you might be able to pickup one cheap. Might not hurt to check ebay, music shops around town and pawn shops either.

Note:

A few posts were removed from this thread per the request of the person posting. In addition a couple of short posts that no longer made sense, due to of lack of context, were also removed. Found nothing wrong with the posts, simply honored the member's wishes.

Dan

In superstar can you not setup certain frequencys or notes to fire? Without a ccr setup you have to run it a few times to get it laid out but can it not be done?

GoofyGuy wrote:

In superstar can you not setup certain frequencys or notes to fire? Without a ccr setup you have to run it a few times to get it laid out but can it not be done?

The OP wanted a REAL time solution, which superstar does not offer

JBullard wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:

The OP wanted a REAL time solution, which superstar does not offer

That is what I meant you would have to run it a few times to sequence. Rereading it I see where it was vague about the function of superstar. I apologize for that. So the options are LorVIS or sequence every song you plan to use.

Crud no edit,

LorVis you can setup specific frequencys but your limited to 16 total channels. Im curious in the hardware if you setup a few controllers to think they are all the same if they would all fire upon given commands. Still maximum 16 channels but a 32-48 channels spread out wouldnt be terrible in a party/club scene as most of the people there cant really tell whats going on anyway.

GoofyGuy wrote:

Crud no edit,

LorVis you can setup specific frequencys but your limited to 16 total channels. Im curious in the hardware if you setup a few controllers to think they are all the same if they would all fire upon given commands. Still maximum 16 channels but a 32-48 channels spread out wouldnt be terrible in a party/club scene as most of the people there cant really tell whats going on anyway.

Of course, that is the way the hardware works, I have controllers set to same ID # all the time.