Light-O-Rama Forums

flash to the music?

cnobles21

so i am brand new to the lightorama thing. i have several projects in mind. i plan to create some pretty cool christmas and halloween light displays like the ones i see on youtube. also i do some dj-ing at alot of my friends partys and other events. i was wonddring if there is any sort of tutorial on how to take different channels and make them flash to the bass, mids, or high notes of whatever song is playing on my playlist without creating a separate sequence for each song. i have not received my lor software yet and am just trying to get ahead of the game. i basically want some lights to flash to the bass, others to flash to the mids and highs for all songs that are playing. is there a simple way to do that with this software and make it automated so i dont have to create a sequence for every song for a playlist that is several hours long?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JBullard

• LightORamaDan

• WilliamS

• Dr. Jones

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never used it, and it's a few years old, but here's a thread that discusses a Windows Media Player visualization plug-in to try out.

http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=31045&forum_id=25&highlight=Wmp+plugin

Short answer was given by Don above. And would definitely suggest you download the software and play with it. Read the S3 user's manual to ge familiar with the features. Check the video tutorials that are available via the link at the top of this page.

This obsession, er, I mean hobby, is a blast, but it is quite time consuming to put on good shows. There are no real shortcuts and no substitute for lots of experimentation.

Oh, and this forum has lots of good info, but its search capability is not very good. I recommend going off-site to Google and using it to search for stuff here. For example, from Google, you might search on "LOR forum xxxxxxx" to find stuff on this forum discussing "xxxxxxx".

Welcome to the group. Read, experiment, repeat. :)

maybe im asking the wrong question...i know that the lor controllers are basically just glorified solid state relays. a solid state relay converts dc impulses to ac current and vice versa. the relays i have built in the past were simple there was one side for dc such as the output of a stereo that has the speaker wire coming out of it and going to the speaker, an input for ac power like a standard wall plug and a place to plug the lights into the relay. what i need to know is...on the controller itself there is the power in plugs, and the place to plug into the lights. then there is the input for the rj45 wire that goes back to the computer to controll when the lights go on and off. what im wondering is where would i splice in the wires that would go directly to a sound system to control the flashing instead of the computer

i will be using a preamp for a professional PA system instead of the computer to control the lights and i simply need to know where to solder in the wires to each of the 16 channels that will go directly to the preamp(the thing that you see in the sound booth at concerts that has all the little sliders and knobs on it)

cnobles21 wrote:

maybe im asking the wrong question...i know that the lor controllers are basically just glorified solid state relays. a solid state relay converts dc impulses to ac current and vice versa. the relays i have built in the past were simple there was one side for dc such as the output of a stereo that has the speaker wire coming out of it and going to the speaker, an input for ac power like a standard wall plug and a place to plug the lights into the relay. what i need to know is...on the controller itself there is the power in plugs, and the place to plug into the lights. then there is the input for the rj45 wire that goes back to the computer to controll when the lights go on and off. what im wondering is where would i splice in the wires that would go directly to a sound system to control the flashing instead of the computer

you don't

see don's reply above

cnobles21 wrote:

i will be using a preamp for a professional PA system instead of the computer to control the lights and i simply need to know where to solder in the wires to each of the 16 channels that will go directly to the preamp(the thing that you see in the sound booth at concerts that has all the little sliders and knobs on it)

It does not work that way.

What you will need is a lightboard that has a mic input. thie lightboard will output dmx, then you can use LOR or other dmx dimmers to get the flashing that you are after.

LOR is designed to be more like a pre programmed theatrical show. There is no real time inputs - with the exceptions of triggers, which will just trigger the start of a sequence.

shfr26 wrote:

cnobles21 wrote:

It does not work that way.

ditto
I think you're thinking of the old color organ circuits: audio in converts to blinking lights out: Light O Rama is far more sophisticated than that:
Its a complete computer controlled SYSTEM with both hardware and software elements, that, along with your sequencing skills, will make for a fantastic display.
Start at the light o rama site, then start looking thru this forum for tons of info.

cnobles21 wrote:

then there is the input for the rj45 wire that goes back to the computer to controll when the lights go on and off. what im wondering is where would i splice in the wires that would go directly to a sound system to control the flashing instead of the computer

The signal to the RJ45 connector is 100% digital, using a proprietary protocol that runs at 56kbps. In concept, it is similar to DMX, of which I suspect you have some knowledge. The controllers have no provisions for analog input.

cnobles21 wrote:

I know what you want but unfortunately it doesn't exist in the LOR software. I'm tempted to write my own code/software to do this and in fact, I was going to base things on an 88-key piano keyboard. Then, sample the music in realtime and command the controllers via frequency and amplitude responses.

Rather than jump into writing that code as this is my first year, I elected to do what works for everyone else first and get a working display that I can be proud of first. Then next year, I'll start working on some software. It shouldn't take me more than a couple of days at the most to make it work, then extra time to refine the code, but the resulting effects will tell the tale as to whether it was worth the effort or not. I suspect that with a formal orchestration, so much will be going on in sounds, that nearly all lights will be on in one way or another, all the time. So, going to all the effort to make this happen, might end up not looking so great, then again, it might be the latest and greatest thing since sliced bread!

TJ Hvasta wrote:

There is no getting ahead of the game.. READ the tutorials.. then read them again.. then download the software. Only after reading how it works will you be able to make it go "thump in the night"

Although it is good to read the documentation, when in doubt or not sure, this is the place to go to ask questions! And of course we are here to help point you in the right direction.

As said, there is no automated way (of getting ahead) with the basic S3 software other than the beat wizard and VU wizard which will help but not provide complete sequence. However, with the SuperStar addon you can automate the creation of your sequences.

You may find that the automatic sequencing provided by SuperStar will give you a very good and quick start to a long play list. Later after becoming more familiar with the software, through a combination of asking questions, reviewing tutorials and some trial and error, you will find that you will likely enjoy seeing that you can make sequences superior with more 'feeling' and do so fairly quickly.

Good Luck!

Dan

wbottomley wrote:

What color hair do you like?

Trolls-dolls-animated-movie.jpg

Tried my best to understand the contribution this post made to the thread. Best guess was it was humor but I am sure that people smarter than me understand.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

Tried my best to understand the contribution this post made to the thread. Best guess was it was humor but I am sure that people smarter than me understand.

I believe wbottomley is calling the OP a troll.

Guest wbottomley

LightORamaDan wrote:

wbottomley wrote:
What color hair do you like?

Trolls-dolls-animated-movie.jpg

Dan

It's humor.

There are so many choices a person has in this hobby it's unbelievable - making lights blink to music with software/hardware. But... in the end, we have the same results just like the trolls pictured above.

Yes,

You sell any controllers and software. Buy what I think is called a music or sound organ. I remember you could buy a kit from Radio Shack back in the 70s when I was a teen.

No, LOR is not a plug and play system. You have to spend about 10 hours per minute of music you wish to sequence. Although I have heard that some will sell you their sequence for a price. You still have to go out and buy the music, but you might already have the music. But in either case you will need to buy a lic. to use the music for a profit.