Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Regrets?

enraginangel

alanm wrote:

It seems to me that some regrets are easily handled.  Here are some observations from a relative newbie.  This is my third year and I am still learning, but getting closer.

1.  Don't expect your first display to make the local news.  Start small and simple and play around to see what happens.  My first year had one 6' tree and two prelighted deer and six minitrees.  I didn't try for music, just a random sequence just to show I could do it.  I am one of about 6 houses on my block with lights,but the only one with sequences. I had bought 32 channels, but used only 16.

2.  The second year added a few minitrees, a longer sequence, but still only used 16 channels.

3.  Now, third year, I have a 17' megatree, based on a telescoping flagpole I installed in my lawn.  It has a pvc topper I designed and built, with 16 hooks.  I used 28 channels (4 colors - red, blue, green,white) in 14 groupings totalling 56 strings with up and over to limit channels to 28 and one more for the pvc star I built.

4.  I ripped some of my Christmas music and built some simple sequences and bought an FM transmitter and didn't try too hard to get the lights dancing right on the beat.  The megatree goes round and round and other tricks and my wife loves it and I am happy.

5.  I now have 64 channels, but only used a total of 39. To keep track of cords, I use colored electrician's tape at each end, red, blue, green or white, and a pen to write a number on the tape. 

6.  Now that I understand the basics, I plan to spend my evenings this new year in reading and learning about sequencing and shows and my 2012 display will use all 64 channels and maybe more and I think I will be very pleased.

7.  A final thought.  Keep the size of your property and neighborhood in mind when planning.  My city lot is just 70 feet wide.  There really is a finite limit as to how much I should do before they cart me off for blinding passing airliners (we live near a major airport)!;)

Good writeup. Thanks for this!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Faluzure

• Surfing4Dough

• CKSedg

• LightingNewb78

My first year mistakes...

1) Better guying on the mega tree. My 24' tree blew over in TWICE in two freak wind storms a week apart. The first time, I only used 3 guy wires at the top. The second time I used 3 at the top and 3 in the middle. The third time I used 4 at the top and 4 in the middle, also placed the stakes further out from the base and used vortex screw anchors instead of rebar. I had a rebar stake pull up a few inches on the second failure. The 4 wires give much better leverage than 3.

2) Finish one display item at a time. It seemed like I was working on too many things at once.

3) Make up super strings in May or June, instead of on-demand. Mark each end of a string with color code!!

4) Cat5 is cheap. Extension cords are not. Move the controllers closer to the action. Even doing so, I underestimated the amount of SPT1 I need. 2500ft wasn't enough. Order a minimum of 1x the number of channels for male ends and twice that for female ends. (Then double it).

5) Wire up controllers early. Get other power related issues (portable panel, etc) worked out before the season starts.

6) Sequencing takes a lot longer than you think.

7) Forgot to make radio sign until last minute.

8) Things that I wish that I had this year:
a) Rock speakers. I had a lot of people get out of their cars and walk up because of traffic. I drug out my large speaker a couple of times.
:) Reminder to tell people to turn off headlights in voice over
c) Help. Ask for it.
d) Good charity for donations. Will probably put up something for local animal shelter next year.
e) Walkman or portable radio

9) Things that worked well for me this year:
a) Used laptop to VNC into show computer for sequencing tweaks and troubleshooting. Home wifi allowed me to sit in car with radio (and heater) late at night for sequence work.
:) Facebook posts really got the word out.

Hello all, I'm brand new to the forum and just trying to get more educated on the ins and outs of the whole Christmas Light Show phenomenon. I really caught the bug this year after seeing a very well put together local display in the new town we just moved to! It even won over my wife to the idea, as long as I take slow baby steps toward this. I know it may be a couple years before im really able to jump in with the hardware and sequencing since we were lucky enough to have had twins this Oct and am quite limited on both the time and $$ these days. :P But, I am finding all sorts of valuable information already in this thread alone for when i am ready. Thanks to all for all the valuable feedback!

To all you seasoned members out there, would it be too weird or forward of me to introduce myself to the homeowner of the local display in order to learn more about his display and pick his brain for tips and guidance ( maybe even offer my assistance in the tear down or setup of the display in the future)?? :)

Thanks again everyone!! Happy Lighting and Happy New Year!

LightingNewb78 wrote:

Hello all, I'm brand new to the forum and just trying to get more educated on the ins and outs of the whole Christmas Light Show phenomenon. I really caught the bug this year after seeing a very well put together local display in the new town we just moved to! It even won over my wife to the idea, as long as I take slow baby steps toward this. I know it may be a couple years before im really able to jump in with the hardware and sequencing since we were lucky enough to have had twins this Oct and am quite limited on both the time and $$ these days. :P But, I am finding all sorts of valuable information already in this thread alone for when i am ready. Thanks to all for all the valuable feedback!

To all you seasoned members out there, would it be too weird or forward of me to introduce myself to the homeowner of the local display in order to learn more about his display and pick his brain for tips and guidance ( maybe even offer my assistance in the tear down or setup of the display in the future)?? :)

Thanks again everyone!! Happy Lighting and Happy New Year!

Welcome! Not a weird idea whatsoever. A very wise idea, since that is the best way to learn. Who knows, maybe it is somebody here in the forums. Most in this hobby are happy just to meet somebody else that shares/understands their craziness.

If you want to come to Ohio, you can help tear down and set up with me and I will tutor you.

What do you know, you were right, I did actually find the owner of that house on here, looks like I definitely came to the right place!
Thanks for the tutoring offer, I'll keep that in mind if I ever find myself in Ohio! :P

LightingNewb78 wrote:

What do you know, you were right, I did actually find the owner of that house on here, looks like I definitely came to the right place!
Thanks for the tutoring offer, I'll keep that in mind if I ever find myself in Ohio! :)

And you aren't going to share who it is? That might change our recommendation on whether to ask them for help or not. :P

Surfing4Dough wrote:

LightingNewb78 wrote:
Thanks for the tutoring offer, I'll keep that in mind if I ever find myself in Ohio! :)

And you aren't going to share who it is?   That might change our recommendation on whether to ask them for help or not.  :P

Oh right, it is fellow Mcphersonite 'Brad Stucky'.
( http://forums.lightorama.com/users/7082.html )