• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Faluzure

• Surfing4Dough

• CKSedg

• LightingNewb78

I got past my first year by buying pre-done sequences from WowLights (which was where i bought all my LOR stuff) and setup my show per their instructions with a couple of minor mods. Starting this past January I got to work on props that I had wished I had had last year. This years show has a bit of the wow factor to it. a lot more traffic and smiles and one Grinch.

I am a newbie this year and I have made a few mistakes that I wish I had not.

1. Waited too long to start modifying sequences. I too ordered six of them from Wowlights but my display is nothing like what their set up is like. I had to almost completely redo the entire sequences. At least they gave me starting points and for that alone they were worth the money.
  2. Didn't plan for CCRs well enough. I got 6 of them and can't use them this year because I can't program them yet. Again, comes down to time and planning.
  3. Took a vacation in Oct. Should have been setting up lights.. but hey, at least wife was happy when we came back and that alone was worth the price of time and money! LOL!
  4. I still use many store bought cords because I have them but I have gone thru about 1500' of SP1. Love making my own cords to whatever length I want. Yes I have cords everywhere but I stopped mowing the grass when the display went up and it is about 4" tall now and the cords are not so visible and at night they are invisible.
  5. Bought way too many mini incan over the years.. Now I am switching to LED as fast as $$ permit and I will have thousands of minis that I will never open.
  6. Should have made my FM station sign better and at least two of them. My yard is pretty good size and I need one facing both directions. I have only one now.
  7. I use color coded tape for wire bundles instead of wire ties because when you wind them up, the tie heads always want to get caught up. Tape makes if much faster and if you use good tape it sticks well.

plasmadrive wrote:

I am a newbie this year and I have made a few mistakes that I wish I had not.
  1. Waited too long to start modifying sequences. I too ordered six of them from Wowlights but my display is nothing like what their set up is like. I had to almost completely redo the entire sequences. At least they gave me starting points and for that alone they were worth the money.
  2. Didn't plan for CCRs well enough. I got 6 of them and can't use them this year because I can't program them yet. Again, comes down to time and planning.
  3. Took a vacation in Oct. Should have been setting up lights.. but hey, at least wife was happy when we came back and that alone was worth the price of time and money! LOL!
  4. I still use many store bought cords because I have them but I have gone thru about 1500' of SP1. Love making my own cords to whatever length I want. Yes I have cords everywhere but I stopped mowing the grass when the display went up and it is about 4" tall now and the cords are not so visible and at night they are invisible.
  5. Bought way too many mini incan over the years.. Now I am switching to LED as fast as $$ permit and I will have thousands of minis that I will never open.
  6. Should have made my FM station sign better and at least two of them. My yard is pretty good size and I need one facing both directions. I have only one now.
  7. I use color coded tape for wire bundles instead of wire ties because when you wind them up, the tie heads always want to get caught up. Tape makes if much faster and if you use good tape it sticks well.

Would you consider selling those minis?

enraginangel wrote:

Looking back at what I've done starting out as a newbie, there are some things I wish I had done instead.

1. Saving money by getting a Residential Light Controller.

Are you saying you got the PRO version instead of the PC (Residential)? I'm debating on this myself.

DonFL wrote:

He's saying just the opposite.

He is? Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but he typed:

"Looking back at what I've done starting out as a newbie, there are some things I wish I had done instead.

1. Saving money by getting a Residential Light Controller."

I read that as he got the PRO controller and spent $90 more and wished he could have gotten the Residential (PC).

Faluzure wrote:
Are you saying you got the PRO version instead of the PC (Residential)? I'm debating on this myself.

This page: http://www.lightorama.com/ShowtimePC.html
has a good chart at the bottom that highlights the differences of the controllers. In a large majority of cases the PC versions of the controllers are going to be perfectly okay for use in a display.

Don wrote:

Faluzure wrote:

has a good chart at the bottom that highlights the differences of the controllers. In a large majority of cases the PC versions of the controllers are going to be perfectly okay for use in a display.

I've seen that chart. I just didn't know if the features like additional amps, 1 year extra warranty, ability to act standalone, etc equates to a $90 price difference. I just wanted to make sure I don't regret my purchase and wish I could've gotten a PRO.

Faluzure wrote:

DonFL wrote:

"Looking back at what I've done starting out as a newbie, there are some things I wish I had done instead.

I read that as he got the PRO controller and spent $90 more and wished he could have gotten the Residential (PC).
Correct..I misread your question as asking if he was saying should get the pro version, rather than residential.

The PC controllers will work just fine, and they are a savings.

Faluzure wrote:

Don wrote:
Faluzure wrote:

I've seen that chart. I just didn't know if the features like additional amps, 1 year extra warranty, ability to act standalone, etc equates to a $90 price difference. I just wanted to make sure I don't regret my purchase and wish I could've gotten a PRO.

I build all of my controllers, but my answer here will apply, kit build or not.

I started out buying the K/D version controller, which is the pro controller board. I felt the ability to set unit IDs on the board was better, plus I preferred screw terminals, as opposed to quick connects.

After building several PC style controllers this year, realizing QCs and setting IDs via the HU is not as much of a pain as I expected, I would tell you that 90 dollar difference is really tough to justify.

As far as the amperage specs, take a look at your design and see if you really need the extra capacity. I know I didn't, and that extra headroom is of no use unless you really use it, and use it across several channels.

I am probably one of the worst and slowest newbies here. I joined the forum Dec 25, 09. Still NO display. I read and research the forums on various subjects as often as I can. I was wanting to "put the cart ahead of the horse", you might say, with buying all the hardware needed to have a complete display my first time out. LOL Well, I quickly realized, that ain't gonna happen!! So I took the seasoned members advice, buy a stater package controller, get some lights, read the instructions to set it all up, plug in the lights and play with the software until comfortable with learning how it all works. Anxiously waiting for my stater package to arrive in a few days :) All ready have the software, renewed the license, updated to S3, getting one of my computers reformatted and set up to be dedicated to running my LOR light show hopefully next season. The forums are a wealth of valuable information coming from "have done that, been there" seasoned members who have been very friendly and helpful to each other and so many people, much like myself.
I apologize for my useless post, but I the topic "Newbie Regrets" and really wanted to say that my only regret is that it has taken me this long to finally get started!!

Hi Faluzure ,
I only started this year with the 32 channel starter package , only regrets I've got are not buying 64 channels and using cheap lights on my mini trees due to financial constraints ...... as the supplier I got them from here in the UK cant get me any replacement lamps when he assured me he could meaning I've now lost 11 of 16 mini trees :) , Deffinately going over to LEDs next year.

jerry

I'm a slow moving newbie also. Got my controllers and software in summer 2010, lights this past summer and still even today putting up lights and making extension cords for next years debute. Hoping my ideas of bundling and labeling pays off. I am using 4 colors and most strings are doubled or tripled back and forth. I made a jig using a 2x4 and put long bolts in it to the length I needed and then wrapped each color light string around the bolts. I then used double sided velcro that sticks to itself to bundle the strings together. Labeled each string at the male plug end with its color and position located on the house. Slide the bundle off the bolts and attached them to the house using 1-1/2in cup hooks. Extension cords will be custom length made using SPT1 cord and will be labeled with the controller/circuit ID on the male plug end and the color and position on the female end. Cords running similar paths will be bundle together using velcro. When I take everything down, hoping to just roll/fold the light string and extension cord bundles up and store. Next year pull them out look on plug end of each light bundle to see its location and hang each section of 4 colors that are bundled together at one time. Also making wooden frames with hinges that I hope to be able to leave the lights on and fold the up for easy storage. Next year, unfold the frames, hang them up and plug the lights in...done. All sounds good in theory, and I'm sure will need tweaking, but hope it will save lots of time next year.

Faluzure wrote:

DonFL wrote:

I agree that the CTB16PC is the way to go if you plan to run a show to music (since the stand-alone mode is only for non-musical sequences, and only short ones to boot). Both control lights the EXACT same way (a common misunderstanding). Both can be run off either a computer or a director/mini-director. Save the money so you can buy more controllers now or later. Best advise I ever got as a newbie several years ago.

Good discussions on this topic:

http://forums.lightorama.com/forum25/23291.html
(changed to this discussion half way down the page)

http://forums.lightorama.com/forum80/22003-1.html
(best discussion starts on page 2)

And the PC controllers can be upgraded to 40A capacity if needed. My understanding is that all you have to do is put the PC controller in a metal enclosure (the plastic isn't rated to control that potential heat), install 12 gauge power cords (the 2 power input cords), and upgrade to ceramic 20A fast acting fuses. Obviously must use the high power heat sinks too. Don't forget that you must be plugging into two 20A outlets (on separate house circuits) to even get to that potential.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Faluzure wrote:
DonFL wrote:

I agree that the CTB16PC is the way to go if you plan to run a show to music (since the stand-alone mode is only for non-musical sequences, and only short ones to boot).  Both control lights the EXACT same way (a common misunderstanding).  Both can be run off either a computer or a director/mini-director.  Save the money so you can buy more controllers now or later.  Best advise I ever got as a newbie several years ago.

And the PC controllers can be upgraded to 40A capacity if needed.  My understanding is that all you have to do is put the PC controller in a metal enclosure (the plastic isn't rated to control that potential heat), install 12 gauge power cords (the 2 power input cords), and upgrade to ceramic 20A fast acting fuses.  Obviously must use the high power heat sinks too. Don't forget that you must be plugging into two 20A outlets (on separate house circuits) to even get to that potential. 

Thank you so much for this. Can't tell you how much your advice has helped. My fiance is already stoked for next year and I'm having her order me some controllers for my birthday.

Faluzure wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
Faluzure wrote:
DonFL wrote:

I agree that the CTB16PC is the way to go if you plan to run a show to music (since the stand-alone mode is only for non-musical sequences, and only short ones to boot). Both control lights the EXACT same way (a common misunderstanding). Both can be run off either a computer or a director/mini-director. Save the money so you can buy more controllers now or later. Best advise I ever got as a newbie several years ago.

And the PC controllers can be upgraded to 40A capacity if needed. My understanding is that all you have to do is put the PC controller in a metal enclosure (the plastic isn't rated to control that potential heat), install 12 gauge power cords (the 2 power input cords), and upgrade to ceramic 20A fast acting fuses. Obviously must use the high power heat sinks too. Don't forget that you must be plugging into two 20A outlets (on separate house circuits) to even get to that potential.

Thank you so much for this. Can't tell you how much your advice has helped. My fiance is already stoked for next year and I'm having her order me some controllers for my birthday.

Have her order you some for Jesus's birthday too!

It seems to me that some regrets are easily handled. Here are some observations from a relative newbie. This is my third year and I am still learning, but getting closer.

1. Don't expect your first display to make the local news. Start small and simple and play around to see what happens. My first year had one 6' tree and two prelighted deer and six minitrees. I didn't try for music, just a random sequence just to show I could do it. I am one of about 6 houses on my block with lights,but the only one with sequences. I had bought 32 channels, but used only 16.

2. The second year added a few minitrees, a longer sequence, but still only used 16 channels.

3. Now, third year, I have a 17' megatree, based on a telescoping flagpole I installed in my lawn. It has a pvc topper I designed and built, with 16 hooks. I used 28 channels (4 colors - red, blue, green,white) in 14 groupings totalling 56 strings with up and over to limit channels to 28 and one more for the pvc star I built.

4. I ripped some of my Christmas music and built some simple sequences and bought an FM transmitter and didn't try too hard to get the lights dancing right on the beat. The megatree goes round and round and other tricks and my wife loves it and I am happy.

5. I now have 64 channels, but only used a total of 39. To keep track of cords, I use colored electrician's tape at each end, red, blue, green or white, and a pen to write a number on the tape.

6. Now that I understand the basics, I plan to spend my evenings this new year in reading and learning about sequencing and shows and my 2012 display will use all 64 channels and maybe more and I think I will be very pleased.

7. A final thought. Keep the size of your property and neighborhood in mind when planning. My city lot is just 70 feet wide. There really is a finite limit as to how much I should do before they cart me off for blinding passing airliners (we live near a major airport)!:)