Light-O-Rama Forums

help my bord is fyed

mf123

It looks like what every one else is saying, too much solder and some colder solder joints. I would suggest getting a solder sucker , and cleaning up those joints that are connected. take your time. I think my first board took my in excess of 6 hours. now i can do boards in 30 mins to an hour no problem.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mf123

• bisquit476

• Max-Paul

• The Pest

ChuckHutchings wrote:

FOL! You guys are dorks. He's obviously trolling.

Wonder if anyone is going to label you a HATER.

I sure got the lashings for giving this guy some trouble. I just cant believe anyone can be that bad of a speller.

BTW, thanks for your post. You said what I was feeling. Just could not put my finger on it.

Awesome?? i just made a recording BTW i did not want a big posting fight i spent 100$ on that board and none of you are realty helping.. so i`l just send it in in a few days if none of you cant give me any real answers anyway what are cold solder joint on a circuit board why are they so bad

honestly some grown ups can be kids and im 13!!>!!(grow up)
i like to be a dork, nerd, or computer fanatic it only makes me smarter
i`m very sorry if this was jerky,mean but i just need help, not an fight its 30 days till cristmas and im freaking out

ps. my laptop has no spell cheak for lor forms so sorry for grammar

Matt - there is a spell check built-in to the LOR forum. When you are replying to the thread, you'll see some red squiggly lines under an incorrectly spelled word/word not recognized by the software dictionary.

There were/are people trying to help you -- you have to provide clear, close-up photographs of your board. From what can be seen so far, the soldering work on the board is extremely suspect and if you do not have the means to repair it, there probably isn't anything we can do by typing back and forth on a forum.

I would send the board back in for inspection/repair and also go to your local Radio Shack. For less than $20 you can get a soldering kit and practice honing your skills.

Matt...here's a good one to learn on..hone your skills on something a bit simpler...

http://www.makershed.com/product_p/mkel4.htm

Cold solder joints are explained a bit earlier in this thread...literally, means, you didn't get enough heat on the joint, where you want to solder component wire to PC board pad, and so the solder doesn't flow, and the connection will be high resistance, intermittment, and possibly even come apart--all bad things.

I would send your board in. It doesn't appear this is one where we can look at a few photos of the board and point out a bad connection or two.

And...don't fret...Christmas comes around every year..if you don't light up this year, start planning for next year.

Matt, we never know who a person is or their abilities. And yes we have had some who come in here and on purposely start trouble, aka trolling. You kind of remind me of me. though I didnt start at such an early age soldering up a circuit board. You have received good info, even my post did have some good info if you cut through the other stuff. I will repeat that info which was in a general format. Google or use any other search engine. Search for anything that has to do with soldering circuits. Look real good at what is a good and bad solder joint. Get a cheap kit and practice your solder joints. Get a solder sucker and solder wick. Both will help you to remove solder from a joint. Practice desoldering and removing a component from the board. Everyone will at some point put in the wrong component or it will be in reverse position. When you can do that without destroying the board or component. Then you will have a skill that many others do not. And these skills are required if you want to solder up your own kits.

BTW I dont spell well either and my grammar sucks. But I have learned to click on words that have the red squiggly lines to clean up my spelling errors.

So what am I missing?

I never see Word-type spellcheck indicators (red or blue lines for spelling, grammar, etc).

I'm fortunate enough to where my spelling isn't atrocious (2nd and 3rd grade spelling champ..just FYI...:cool::cool::dude::dude:), but still, don't see any of that.

Sorry, Matt, for hijacking your thread, but if I didn't ask now, I'd forget..

Don - If you use Chrome then the spell check is everywhere.

As for this being a troll thread - what am I supposed to think when almost every word is spelled incorrectly, the photos are almost purposely out of focus, and the poster has a troll-face profile pic?

If this is really how you spell at 13 then you have a life of misery ahead of you.

ChuckHutchings wrote:

Don - If you use Chrome then the spell check is everywhere.

As for this being a troll thread - what am I supposed to think when almost every word is spelled incorrectly, the photos are almost purposely out of focus, and the poster has a troll-face profile pic?

If this is really how you spell at 13 then you have a life of misery ahead of you.

I use Firefox. So sounds like its not a forum feature, its a browser feature...?

So you took a (cheap) shot at the kid and were wrong. Maybe a simple apology is in order.

As far as being 13 and having spelling challenges, I have a 10 year old with some learning challenges, one of them being spelling and penmanship, due to a serious illness as an infant..its not always laziness or stupidity, and I would tend to strongly differ with you as far as a "life of challenges"...she's an A/B student, even working around her limitations. To make that kind of statement based on your first impression of someone you have only encountered on an online forum is completely inappropriate....serves no benefit.

Ok, off my soapbox...:)

Matt, try this, click on your city name and see if there are any other LOR users nearby in Syrcuse.. Someone may be able to meet you to fix this. Hmmm, well, just checked myself and apparently no one wants to live in Syberacuse... Sorry.. maybe a LOR user in Rochester or Buffalo.. Kewl, you may be in luck, there are two in ROC and two in BUF, click on the New York in your avatar info, scroll down and see who's in those citys.. I think Schenectity (sorry, dont know how to spell it, I'm from Joisey..) is the next closest..

As for the pix quality, always try to shoot a pic outside.. it's waaaay better to use natural lighting than a desklamp.