Light-O-Rama Forums

Public Domain Coro?

Christmas Lawyer

bvinson - Which Fastsign locations did you call? The one here in Denton want to charge me $30 for a 4*8 sheet.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• bvinson

• Rick Childers

• dknahoolewa

jimswinder wrote:

Orville wrote:
jimswinder wrote:
under $10 here:

but have to buy a case of 15

http://corrugatedplastics.net/48x96_white4mmCorrugatedPlasticSheets.html

Group Buy??? :(
I'd think the shipping costs would be very high! Weight per case of 15 on their site is 179 pounds!

there's no way one sheet of coroplastic weighs almost 12 lbs!!!!

They ARE SHIPPING YOU A WOODEN(PLASTIC?) PALLETE TOO! Good Grief, No wonder it's so high!

Here's what I copied from the site when you add a case to your shopping cart:

Code: 48964W

Price: $145.35

Shipping Weight: 179.00 pounds

Quantity in Basket: 1

48" x 96" 4mm Colorplast Corrugated Plastic Sheets (Profile - Square Flutes)

* Flutes run 96"
* Sold in sets of 15 sheets
* This Item MUST ShIP by Motor Freight
* Weight below includes pallet and packaing
* This item usually ships within 3-7 business days
------------------------------------- end of copy/paste--------------------------------

I'll just let them keep their coro. I don't need a drop shipment with a HEAVY WOOD PALETTE (or could be plastic pallete) as I am NOT going to pay for something I don't need. That's just insane. They should be able to ship these OFF palette!

Orville wrote:

They ARE SHIPPING YOU A WOODEN(PLASTIC?) PALLETE TOO! Good Grief, No wonder it's so high!
I guess if they did not strap it to a pallet they would all be bent and broken by the time they arrived at your house... :shock:

sometimes it pays to buy local...

bvinson - I forgot to answer one of your other questions. This will be the first time I have made anything from coroplast. I have been doing this since 2007, but have always just done animations, nothing to music. I just did not have enough time to really dedicate to it to get much going. However, I changed jobs in March, and suddenly have free time for the first time in years. I am going from about 150 channels last year to about 350-370 channels this year. I am trying to add everything I can squeeze in with the time I have. I am just starting to explore using cloroplast items.

Also, I have gotten prices for the 4*8 sheets from 3 Fastsign locations so far, one for $30, one for $48, and one for $108. Insane.

Rick Childers wrote:

bvinson - Which Fastsign locations did you call? The one here in Denton want to charge me $30 for a 4*8 sheet.

I called (972) 255-2022 (on N. Beltline Rd in Irving), quoted $14.50 for 48" x 96".
Called Port Plastics from the comments above and was quoted $9.61 for 48" x 96" white. They will cut in half for free, minimum sale is $25 though, just have to buy enough 'stuff' to meet minimum.

You won't believe this- called back the same location I called yesterday and the guy says, the price is "forty-fifty", not "fourteen-fifty"!

They're considering honoring the 'misunderstood' price, waiting for a call back.

----------------------

Ok, first- why do I feel like I'm spamming this topic :?

They called back and the 'permanent' price for their coro is... $15! colors included! 4' x 8'.

David here from HolidayCoro.com

I work very hard to keep our costs down so we can offer an inexpensive product that is well produced, easy to assemble and well thought out.

The Singing Pumpkin, referenced at the start of this thread, is only $39.99 + shipping. That includes a full 4x8 sheet of coro (we ship your item in a coro box also), the pre-punched design, the bulb tracing order in oil-based marker (this is VERY helpful when you are putting in the bulbs), step-by-step instructions (four pages of them) and six pre-sequenced songs. There are other vendors selling just a song or two for that amount, without the designs so we believe it's a very reasonable deal.

Don't forget that reproduce the design, when you add in the costs for sales tax, gas and time to pickup the coro, getting the projector, laying out the design, having a vehicle large enough to put it in, drilling the holes, etc that having something show up, that was produced on a very accurate machine, ready to go in about 2-4 days sure seems pretty easy.

Thanks!
David
HolidayCoro

jimswinder wrote:

Orville wrote:

I guess if they did not strap it to a pallet they would all be bent and broken by the time they arrived at your house... :shock:

sometimes it pays to buy local...

They just need a "sturdier box". I've worked in warehouses and there is no reason they couldn't get a thicker box to ship this in without damage and WITHOUT strapping it to a pallete. That's just insane.

I ordered some of the Baby Sidewalk Coro Arches from HolidayCoro in 2010 (David Moore) and I didn't get it on a pallete. David packs his stuff very well, very well protected in a nice sturdy box, and not a single piece was damaged in transit.

In perfect shape when I got them and I still have a few pieces stored that I have not used in the original box it came in.

If I could have afforded it this year (2011), I would have ordered quite of few of his Halloween coro goodies. I know he does great work, and the prices are very reasonable for what you get. I just didn't have the fund$ this year to invest in any new items, like his coro characters and decor. Hopefully next year I will be able to pick up some of his great stuff.

DIY is fine, but I'd rather let someone else do the design(although I might ask if they can do something specific if possible) and drilling, and I just fill in the dots (holes) where the lights go. :(

dmoore wrote:

David here from HolidayCoro.com

I work very hard to keep our costs down so we can offer an inexpensive product that is well produced, easy to assemble and well thought out.

The Singing Pumpkin, referenced at the start of this thread, is only $39.99 + shipping. That includes a full 4x8 sheet of coro (we ship your item in a coro box also), the pre-punched design, the bulb tracing order in oil-based marker (this is VERY helpful when you are putting in the bulbs), step-by-step instructions (four pages of them) and six pre-sequenced songs. There are other vendors selling just a song or two for that amount, without the designs so we believe it's a very reasonable deal.

Don't forget that reproduce the design, when you add in the costs for sales tax, gas and time to pickup the coro, getting the projector, laying out the design, having a vehicle large enough to put it in, drilling the holes, etc that having something show up, that was produced on a very accurate machine, ready to go in about 2-4 days sure seems pretty easy.

Thanks!
David
HolidayCoro

David - I am very impressed with your products, and will definitely be making purchases for next year.

bvinson
let me know and i'll buy with you to meet the minimum. i need atleast a white and black maybe more. not sure how much i can get done before the light show.

bvinson wrote:

You won't believe this- called back the same location I called yesterday and the guy says, the price is "forty-fifty", not "fourteen-fifty"!

They're considering honoring the 'misunderstood' price, waiting for a call back.

----------------------

Ok, first- why do I feel like I'm spamming this topic :?

They called back and the 'permanent' price for their coro is... $15! colors included! 4' x 8'.

I have an e-mail into that location for pricing. I am working on getting the fastsigns location in Denton to match it, or come close. You are not spamming, you are making use of the board.

I've had HolidayCoro products (both standard and custom designs) for several years and have been very happy with David's work and prices. I have a couple more custom designs for him to do in January, when he's not so busy.

To test some of these designs, I get some similar plastic material (locally) and use a Dremel Trio http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/CategoryProducts.aspx?catid=85
to tweak the design. Works great with a small rotary cutting tip and works in any direction. It cuts quick, so plan ahead.

If you're looking for straight cuts, HolidayCoro makes a specialized cutter http://www.holidaycoro.com/photos/29.jpg that also makes quick work of your designs. It's designed for 4mm thick coro.

I have bought a few things from HolidayCoro and I will say that I'm very pleased with the craftsmanship and designs. With the traces on the back, makes it so easy to put your bulbs in.

The prices that David (HolidayCoro) has are are ot only good but in some instances include sequences. Most sequences that are for sale cost (cheapest) $25 - $30 each. Consider the Pumpkin that comes with 8 free sequences or the monster kit with 18 free sequences. Can't beat that!

MikeH

Remember those old overhead projectors that were used in school back in the 70's. They are a dime a dozen. The bulb is actually more expensive than the projector. I find a image I like in a book, photocopy on to a transparency and then project it on to mu plywood or what ever you are using

JBullard wrote:

Try one of these. Uses ordinary bulbs. No need for the transparency step. About $50 at most craft stores.

did you forget a link?