Light-O-Rama Forums

fm transmitter

james campbell

You will love the sound quality, stereo separation,and signal to noise ratio of the EDM. It is used in many countries as the village radio station and is built for sound quality and endurance.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Surfing4Dough

• EARLE W. TALLEY

• scubado

• Mark Showalter

I can tell you that the rate of returns on EDMs is almost non existent ... because they have quality products.

Soldering the power lead on is very simple. I also was a monkey who could do it.

My Ramsey FM 30B has been running for 6 years, and most of that 24/7 365. No problems. I actually have ZARA playing my music in a VM on on my Windows Server. Little trickier to setup, but works like a champ and no other box to keep powered up.

Real Geeky man!

Mark Showalter wrote:

Can you purchase the EDM complete...without the need to solder and assemble?

LOL, Assemble is to strong a word. You have to "Assemble" the ONE piece that needs soldering to complete the kit.

LarryandGlenora wrote:

Mark Showalter wrote:
Can you purchase the EDM complete...without the need to solder and assemble?

LOL, Assemble is to strong a word. You have to "Assemble" the ONE piece that needs soldering to complete the kit.

And even "soldering" the one piece is a stretch. There is nothing intricate about that one connection (even for a non-solderer like myself). Three holes to fill. See photos below. Just touch the hot soldering iron tip to one of the silver ovals for 3 seconds and then touch the solder to this area and it will quickly melt and fill the hole. Repeat for the other 2 tabs. Wait 5 seconds for it to "dry" or cool, and you are done. It will take about 10 times longer for the 3-5 minutes it takes the soldering iron to heat up initially after plugging it than it does to complete the solder/assembly. I bought a $10 soldering iron from Walmart to get the job done.

Some have said that it is so easy that even a monkey could do it...I agree and would even clarify that the monkey never soldered before and wasn't even very handy. Trust us. :)

Attached files 260521=14432-solder EDM.JPG

For those of you who have never soldiered, a bit of advise to go along with the above post. Buy a little pencil soldering iron from Radio Shack and a small spool of soldier. Plug in the iron and let it warm up for a couple of minutes. Test to see if it is up to temperature by touching the tip with the end of the soldier. If it just bends over, it is still way to cold. But if it melts and gives off a wisp of smoke, then you are ready.

I like to wet the tip with soldier, just a small half beads worth. This helps with the transfer of heat to the circuit board and pin. I then touch the solder to the opposite side of the pin. This insures that the pin and circuit board is hot enough for the solder to flow properly and greatly reduces the chance for a cold soldier joint. A good joint will be somewhat shiny. A cold soldier joint will be dull and rough finish. Cold soldier joints will break contact between the pin and the circuit board causing the transmitter to stop working and lights to go dim and then bright and eventually to go out. But cold soldier joints can be cleaned up and redone so not the end of the world. Above picture is what you want yours to look like when done. Frankly I like mine with just a bit more soldier for strength when soldiering on jacks that get a bit of abuse.