Light-O-Rama Forums

My New 64 channel controller

Denise Brunner

I need to do one for 48 channels for a tree; now I'm having to decide between the "denise design" or the "steve design", as it is obvious there is not enough time left to create the "don design"..:)

• 1 year later...

and more

Attached files /uploads/imported/257064=14148-DSC_2011.JPG

I'd love to see these pictures but how do I get to them?

No problem Tony...I asked the exact same question about a year ago. Nice to know I retained something taught to me.

nice job  I am an electrician with federal state and residential liscences and that id say is a very clean thought out job looks very good denise

ive seen lesser work that looked very sloppy lol

Hey John,

That controller was built two years ago.  I will look for a link to a video that I have up on You Tube

• 2 weeks later...

From the pic, it looks like you ran power and Board dongles
through the same hole and Cat5 through the other. Am I seeing it correctly?

Second, if I am seeing it in the right way, it looks as though you used a
jumper between boards for the ground and the power. Is this what I'm seeing?

Power in to first board,

• Jumper to second terminal and from that terminal,
  • A jumper to the second board, etc.

I am in the process of emulating your design and I want to get it right. Are my assumptions correct?

I will be running 80 strings total from 64 channels. 32 white from 1 board and 16 apiece on boards 2-4. The strings are 70 ct. Full Wave LED at .04 amps per string. My whole set-up

will be running ~ 4 amps total. I think I’ll be ok as far as the power is concerned.

Much of this electrical stuff is over my head, but i'm curious why you would not want to connect all the grounds on the controllers as well. I understand from other threads that the ground protection does not extend to the 2-wire strings but thought there still was some advantage to grounding the controllers.

• 3 months later...

Hi TonyD,

This issue is a toss up. Now if the controller is in a steel case like the PRO models are. Then there might be a case where the steel case of the controller is mounted on something wooden. And there is a short that would energize the case. You come along and touch the case and you are grounded. You have just been shocked. But if you mount the controller in a plastic case and even if it is mounted on the ground. I would hope you would remove power before going into the case. In this case, a ground wire going to the controller has no real benefit. I have 10 of the PC versions and not one of them have a ground wire. Cause I power down before opening the plastic cases.

Thus the reason to use ground faults.

Much of this electrical stuff is over my head, but i'm curious why you would not want to connect all the grounds on the controllers as well. I understand from other threads that the ground protection does not extend to the 2-wire strings but thought there still was some advantage to grounding the controllers.

• The topic was locked