Light-O-Rama Forums

A Decorator's Glossary

Guest Guest

Guest wbottomley

I've been working on a decorators glossary for the past several days on my website. The content was collected from a combination of sources including LOR, PC, DIYC, Wikipedia, Dictionay, and a few others.

I know they're some terms I'm missing and that's where I need your help. I need to fill this thing up with as much content as possible. This will in turn help newbies and a few others as well.

Feel free to shoot me an email, pm, or use the contact us form on http://www.highcountrylights.com

Thank you for your help.

EDIT: add glossary link: http://www.highcountrylights.com/glossary/Glossary-1/

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrownOut

• rstately

• Ron Amedee

• james campbell

Is this what you are looking for?

"Small zap" = finger across outlet prongs.
"Medium zap" = arm in circuit breaker panel.
"Big zap" = house is really on fire!

Or things like...

"Weber tree" = Spiders in a tree- Also accepted is a gas grill in a tree.
"Vampire plug" = A undead or living plug living on blood.

Nice Job William!! Looks Like a lot of work went into that!! Wish I had something beneficial to add... all I got is Great Work and Thanks!

wbottomley wrote:

No. That's just my pictures. :)

Now, now... some belong to other people too. You can only take credit for a couple.

Add the word "copyright" to your glossary.

How 'bout listing the different types of bulbs (mini, C7, C9, flood, etc.) and their typical current draw?

Also, is this to be for a specific manufacturer, retailer? In other words, you could mention the Rainbow Flood, Spot and Wall Runner, etc.

And are you going to copyright the glossary? :shock: (Sorry-couldn't resist.)

Edit: Well, someone beat me to it!

Cray Augsburg wrote:

And are you going to copyright the glossary? :shock: (Sorry-couldn't resist.)

Hey now Cray! Don't copy my copyright idea!:)

Just kidding.

Poor William is looking up the definitions of all these words and adding them as we speak.

Looking gud!

I have seen marty fan and holdman star used before,know what the marty fan is but unclear on the holdman star

james campbell wrote:

I have seen marty fan and holdman star used before,know what the marty fan is but unclear on the holdman star

I was just thinking star names.

acatalepsy
n. - state of being impossible to understand; Philosophy, sceptic doctrine that knowledge cannot be certain. acataleptic, adj.

Ron Amedee wrote:

What about the "Logan Star" ?
That one just gets friends in trouble downtown... Stupid town rules.

Hey William, what about SITM?
(Stick in the mud)

How about "Thread Closed"???

Radio Data System, or RDS,
Radio Broadcast Data System (RBDS)

FM Transmitter

Spiral Calculator

you guys can joke about this all you want i think its a great idea for newbies like me i spoke to William about this a while back he said he was working on it great job if i can be of some small help i hope he ll pm me

t purser wrote:

you guys can joke about this all you want i think its a great idea for newbies like me i spoke to William about this a while back he said he was working on it great job if i can be of some small help i hope he ll pm me

I still try and figure out what terms are. I agree with you. I thought PC was personal computer. Now I know it is planet Christmas.

More to add- Maybe AFCI? Arc fault circuit interrupter. I found out a controller and some lights set to shimmer will trip one of these in a heartbeat. Bedroom circuit went out every time I would play a certain song with LOR.