Light-O-Rama Forums

Where do you buy your extension cords?

dcarter4

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

friskybri wrote:
Anyone notice that his website is down??????????. I miss all the good fights lately. I need to pay better attention on here. ;)

Thanks for everyone's support! I'm glad I got so many PM's telling me my website was down. There was a recent coding error. But its fixed now. You may view the site now.

Enjoy!

I think there may still be some coding errors since there is a ton of text covering most of the photos.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Surfing4Dough

• rescue_653

• Donny M. Carter

• rgardner518

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

friskybri wrote:
Anyone notice that his website is down??????????. I miss all the good fights lately. I need to pay better attention on here. :D

Thanks for everyone's support! I'm glad I got so many PM's telling me my website was down. There was a recent coding error. But its fixed now. You may view the site now.

Enjoy!

Lets try and stay on task and stop hijacking threads - now can we?

Doesn't anyone ever spray their "indoor" extension cords with this stuff:

http://www.misterart.com/crafts/decorative-painting/sealers-and-finishers/krylon-spray-uv-resistant-clear.html

This is a UV RESISTANT CLEAR spray, comes in a paint spray can, one can can do quite a few "indoor" extension cords depending on length! I use this on ALL those "indoor" cords I use outdoors, it works great too.

So this helps to make those NON UV "indoor" extension cords UV Protected and quite useable and durable outdoors! And these aren't that expensive either.

I used this on an indoor cord that powered an outdoor water feature, cord was partially buried in ground and had some exposed areas to the sun, this cord was outdoors for 2-1/2 years, when we moved and I pulled it up, covered in dirt, cleaned it off, no damages done, no deterioration to the cord or insulation, just some slight off-color discoloration, but I've had that happen to "outdoor rated" cords too, got an flourescent orange one that has turned more yellow than orange from being outside, but no insulation damage.

So if you're using inside extension cords outside and many of us do it, I'd recommend getting some of the Krylon UV Spray and at least spraying your indoor cords to coat and protect them from the UV breakdown that can occur.

Again you can find it here (although Wal-Mart did sell it, haven't looked recently):

http://www.misterart.com/crafts/decorative-painting/sealers-and-finishers/krylon-spray-uv-resistant-clear.html

TTFN

Edited to correct spelling errors. Hope I caught all of 'em!

Now orv's example of using a cord underground for 2.5 years is a little different, and I agree that is going to damage a cord relatively quickly. That is 30 months. Considering that we use our Xmas display cords for about 2 months, that is a big difference (would take 15 yrs to reach the same amount of exposure). As Papa quoted, the insulation could be affected "after some time." I think it depends on how long "some time" is. For the short 2 months exposure per year, I don't think either are going to be anywhere near close to failure in 10 years. I have had some indoor cords I have used outside in the display for years, and they don't seem any different from day one. Other considerations, UV exposure during Xmas season is nearly zilch compared to summer (see below). Most of my cords are under snow either way (great insulation). Considering how inexpensive indoor extension cords are ($0.69-$2 depending on length), and how convenient their short lengths are, I am willing sacrifice that it may not last as long, considering I believe they are definitely going to live well beyond their cost. At best, a short outdoor cord costs 3-4 times as much as an indoor cord. To earn its value, it is going to have to survive more than 3-4 times longer than an indoor cord--it very well may, but would have to wait 30-40 years to determine that.
Don't get me wrong, I have a ton of outdoor cords, but only since I got them cheap. Use a lot of SPT, and use a number of indoor cords also. It all comes down to cost over time. I definitely know that my time is more valuable than to spend time spraying (and waiting for them to dry) $0.69 extension cords, but everybody's time is worth different amounts I suppose.

uvi_dec.gif

uvi_jun.gif

Surfing4Dough wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
friskybri wrote:
Anyone notice that his website is down??????????. I miss all the good fights lately. I need to pay better attention on here. :D

Enjoy!

I think there may still be some coding errors since there is a ton of text covering most of the photos.

Nope that text is suppose to be there!

Welcome to the insanity dcarter4

Same as everyone else said in terms of big box retail stores after Christmas sales.
Also if you have a dollar tree near you, they have 6' for $1 all year long.
Menards has them onsale this week for .99 too.

Surfing, since I am in Florida, central part, our UV is usually higher than our Northern counterparts since we can still get summer-like temps during the winter months, we also don't get snow, except on very rare occasion and not enough to even stay on the ground, if it makes it that far. So I'd think our UV index may still be higher than most. But I won't absolutely swear to that.

As for spraying, the Krylon UV coating, the spray dries very quickly, almost as it is sprayed onto the cords.

I just hang the cords from a coat hanger and spray them down, let them dry for a few minutes, usually no more than 5 minutes or less, and they're ready for outdoor use. Very little time is used doing this. I think one coat hanger held about 8, possibly 10 cords, then I just sprayed them down with the UV Spray. Probably took me about 2-3 minutes to hang the cords and another minute to spray them, think the total time for each hanger of 8-10 cords wasn't more than about 5 minutes, probably less at most.

So it really wasn't all that time consuming, at least not to me.

Orville wrote:

Surfing, since I am in Florida, central part, our UV is usually higher than our Northern counterparts since we can still get summer-like temps during the winter months, we also don't get snow, except on very rare occasion and not enough to even stay on the ground, if it makes it that far. So I'd think our UV index may still be higher than most. But I won't absolutely swear to that.

UV index has nothing to do with temp. In the winter, the sun is hitting the northern hemisphere at a much greater angle so therefore the UV rays are blocked a lot more by the atmosphere, which is why the UV index is much lower that time of year (whereas in the summer the rays hit more directly on). See maps above for summer/winter comparison of the UV index for your area. UV index in Florida during the winter is still extremely low. That is why you may have noticed that you are much more likely to get sunburn on a 80 degree day in the summer compared to a 80 degree day in the winter.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
ny_yankee_25 wrote:
friskybri wrote:

Enjoy!

That was a hypothetcial statement and I understand claiming your own but it takes a worthless POS to claim someone elses stuff and watermark it!

Guest wbottomley

rescue_653 wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
Surfing4Dough wrote:
ny_yankee_25 wrote:
friskybri wrote:

Enjoy!

That was a hypothetcial statement and I understand claiming your own but it takes a worthless POS to claim someone elses stuff and watermark it!

Don't worry. I'm filing a DMCA complaint.

rescue_653 wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Unbelievable! I know it isn't nice to call someone a fool, but what kind of fool WATERMARKS photographs that don't belong to them?

That is definitely overstepping the boundaries.

Someone or a few folks are going to be raking in some copyright or intellectual property funds over this one!

Looks like William and any others who have had their photo's "hijacked", then used without permission and now watermarked are going to be able to buy themselves some new LOR goodies, like new controllers or CCR's/CCB's, etc. once the settlement hits! And most folks that do this unscrupulous type of underhanded stupidity end up getting busted and end up paying some high restitutions!

Good Luck Willam and anyone else that may file or are going to file any complaints over this unethical tactic!

p.s. sorry the thread got "hijacked again", but folks like this NEED to be taught a valuable and expen$ive lesson when taking and using things WITHOUT permission to do so!

Orville wrote:

rescue_653 wrote:
ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Unbelievable!   I know it isn't nice to call someone a fool, but what kind of fool WATERMARKS photographs that don't belong to them? 

That is definitely overstepping the boundaries.

Someone or a few folks are going to be raking in some copyright or intellectual property funds over this one!

Looks like William and any others who have had their photo's "hijacked", then used without permission and now watermarked are going to be able to buy themselves some new LOR goodies, like new controllers or CCR's/CCB's, etc. once the settlement hits!     And most folks that do this unscrupulous type of underhanded stupidity end up getting busted and end up paying some high restitutions!

Good Luck Willam and anyone else that may file or are going to file any complaints over this unethical tactic!

p.s. sorry the thread got "hijacked again", but folks like this NEED to be taught a valuable and expen$ive lesson when taking and using things WITHOUT permission to do so!

Orville,
You are so right I even hate to be so outright and bold as I was but to come out with the attitude and statements that he has made and not even attempt to listen to the people who own these material and any response is just out right kiss my a** just ticks me off and deserves anything that comes there way.

Donny M. Carter wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
I'm sorry for pissing everyone off! That was not my intentions.....

What was your intention for using everyone else's pics and hard work?

Where on the page: http://www.poestenkill-lights.com/projects.php

Do I lay claim, to owning the pictures, or the content in the pictures?

Guest wbottomley

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Donny M. Carter wrote:
ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Yep!

At the bottom: http://www.poestenkill-lights.com/gallery.php

Expect to hear more in the coming weeks.

Hey yank, you should have just made nice with the people you stole
from instead of being an ass! You never know, maybe it's not to late.
Stranger things have happened. I mean it snowed a ton in South
Mississippi!
Good Luck

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Donny M. Carter wrote:
ny_yankee_25 wrote:

If you don't feel you own them, why would you PM us individually and tell us "stop stealing my pictures"..??