Light-O-Rama Forums

Where do you buy your extension cords?

dcarter4

Buy cheap indoor cords and outdoor cords at target when they hit 75 ot 90% off after christmas. You have to watch the stores closely and be prepared to go when the sale happens. Last year I scouted the stores and find out which one had the most of what I need and hit that one first. Last year I asked the manager since they were not ringing up at 75% off, but rather as 33% off ... so he told me 'lets me this' ... and gave me 75% of the already 33% of prices ... so I was thrilled. The prior year, did the same thing ... but at hobby lobby instead of target. That thats the way to get cords, but this time of year your probably best off making your own or looking for a really good deal somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Surfing4Dough

• rescue_653

• Donny M. Carter

• rgardner518

rescue_653 wrote:

I have got to the point to build my own like the other poster said. Alot has bought them from here this year
http://foleyfamilychristmas.com/?page_id=623
The prices are a little higher than they were in pre sale but you can get 50 vampire plugs for $25 and 1000ft of SPT2 for $125.

did i have to participate in the group buy to buy from him this year? or can i still get some in time for halloween?

evandewindt wrote:

rescue_653 wrote:
I have got to the point to build my own like the other poster said. Alot has bought them from here this year
The prices are a little higher than they were in pre sale but you can get 50 vampire plugs for $25 and 1000ft of SPT2 for $125.

did i have to participate in the group buy to buy from him this year? or can i still get some in time for halloween?

I think he was planning on buying extra and selling them for the regular price, now how much he was ordering extra I do not know but I would say it would be worth while to look into this because it still seems to ne cheaper than most other places for SPT2

rescue_653 wrote:

evandewindt wrote:
rescue_653 wrote:

I think he was planning on buying extra and selling them for the regular price, now how much he was ordering extra I do not know but I would say it would be worth while to look into this because it still seems to ne cheaper than most other places for SPT2

ya i agree...seems to be the best ive seen so far... i didnt see any contact info for him on his site so i just left a commet on the co-op buy update.. is he a memeber on here?

He is a member of DIYC, he did post over there that he has probably about 50 rolls available they are still in production now.

Hey Thanks Guys!!

I DID doi a search...but you are right...I have no idea what a SPT was!!??

Now that I look at them...they look a little "thin" gauge-wise. The store bought cord "look" safer? Is it all in my head...or do you run several SPT's to a Surge strip and then to a thicker cable...or am i worried about nothing..and when is the SUMMER SALE??? :D

dcarter4 wrote:

Hey Thanks Guys!!

I DID doi a search...but you are right...I have no idea what a SPT was!!??

Now that I look at them...they look a little "thin" gauge-wise. The store bought cord "look" safer? Is it all in my head...or do you run several SPT's to a Surge strip and then to a thicker cable...or am i worried about nothing..and when is the SUMMER SALE??? :D

All depends what you are hooking up to the wires. Most SPT is 18 gauge. 18g wire can carry 10A for short lengths. Considering that a LOR channel can handle 8A, and more often then not, you will be well below that. Now for the 2 power cords going to the input of the controller, you are better off using heavier gauge cords since they will be carrying more juice. But to some extent you can't base it on "looks" but rather have to base it on wire gauge. The typical orange outdoor extension cords is only 16 gauge, even though it "looks" much thicker than SPT. Here is a basic guide chart to give some direction:

Attached files 254394=13922-wire.JPG

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Wow! I'm tired of new people not searching the forum for their answers! This is and old outdated topic, that I know if they only search "extension cords, or SPT", There is over 475 combined topics that cover this!

Do we really need another?

I'm not tryng to be a party pooper, but People need to SEARCH!

Anyone notice that his website is down??????????. I miss all the good fights lately. I need to pay better attention on here. :D

friskybri wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
Wow! I'm tired of new people not searching the forum for their answers! This is and old outdated topic, that I know if they only search "extension cords, or SPT", There is over 475 combined topics that cover this!

Do we really need another?

I'm not tryng to be a party pooper, but People need to SEARCH!

Anyone notice that his website is down??????????. I miss all the good fights lately. I need to pay better attention on here. ;)

Just was about to post that myself. Just discovered that about 15 minutes ago.

Guest wbottomley

Well holy crap!

My PM inbox lite up like a Christmas tree about this.

Interesting to say the least.

I keep screen shots of his pages with the information on them. They may come in handy later but for now, they are archived.

wbottomley wrote:

Well holy crap!

My PM inbox lite up like a Christmas tree about this.

Interesting to say the least.

I keep screen shots of his pages with the information on them. They may come in handy later but for now, they are archived.

I guess the rightful owner of the display and site must of took their stuff back :shock:now who's display is he going to use:)

wbottomley wrote:

He can't steal mine. I'm downsizing... lol!

Plus the 10 feet of snow that it was under still hasn't completely melted yet, right?

Back to the question at hand -

Only one thing I want to point out - have seen it mentioned several times in different threads and that is indoor cords used as outdoor cords.

For what we do the 2 key differences between indoor and outdoor rated cords are (1) in the style of plug and socket, which in my mind is not an issue, either will get wet if you lay it on the ground - the socket (outlet) that is, and (2) but as my good friend Pete the electrician taught us at the PNW mini - the biggest thing is the insulation the cord is made of. Indoor cords can not withstand the UV that an outdoor cord can. It breaks down - gets brittle - and allows moisture in to the conductor after some time.

For me - I would rather spend the few extra bucks now and have cords that last 10 to 15 years (or more). When I hand my display down to my grand-kids in 10 or so years, I want it to be in as good a shape as it is today.:cool:

Papa-LF wrote:

Back to the question at hand -

Only one thing I want to point out - have seen it mentioned several times in different threads and that is indoor cords used as outdoor cords

For what we do the 2 key differences between indoor and outdoor rated cords are (1) in the style of plug and socket, which in my mind is not an issue, either will get wet if you lay it on the ground - the socket (outlet) that is, and (2) but as my good friend Pete the electrician taught us at the PNW mini - the biggest thing is the insulation the cord is made of.  Indoor cords can not withstand the UV that an outdoor cord can. It breaks down - gets brittle - and allows moisture in to the conductor after some time.

For me - I would rather spend the few extra bucks now and have cords that last 10 to 15 years (or more).  When I hand my display down to my grand-kids in 10 or so years, I want it to be in as good a shape as it is today.:cool:

friskybri wrote:

Anyone notice that his website is down??????????. I miss all the good fights lately. I need to pay better attention on here. ;)

Thanks for everyone's support! I'm glad I got so many PM's telling me my website was down. There was a recent coding error. But its fixed now. You may view the site now.

Enjoy!