Light-O-Rama Forums

My 2011 Animatronic show project

Christmas_time_karl_UK

Looking good. Yes, your servo dog will make that penguin rock! Plus it will be nice having the sotware doing the movement, and not trying to do it manually each time.

Your prototype is looking great.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Christmas_time_karl_UK

• paulanator

• TJ Hvasta

• Jason Burge

Penguin done... so started working on santa claus, Ive chopped his head off to get better access and have added a mouth moving mechanism Ive built and tested under manual control:

Animatronics are looking good. Suggestion: if you can light up the musical instrument (guitar, drums, etc) with some lights or wireframe and have that in sync with the music, it would add a little more pizzaz. It can be done in LOR with the VU Wizard.

Also, some R/C shops have test devices you can plug your servo into to check for range of motion and speed. I bought one for the pan movement and one for the tilt movement. If your creatures are going to be outside, pick a servo that's made for R/C boats. They have waterproof seals. Also get metal gears if it's an option. I made some happy faces that bob left and right, but on a zero setting they're centered. In LOR, that's 50% dim. I had to get a stronger Futaba analog servo because of the weight tho.

Check out www.servocity.com for new stuff like linear actuators and pan/tilt stuff. I would highly recommend the LOR Servodog for the future and keep up the good work.

Oh, on one show, I had an air cannon that was fired using an electric solenoid. It had it's own PVC tank that was connected to an air compressor in the back yard (to keep it recharged) and a PVC nozzle up at a 45 degree angle. Was going to put a drip irrigation nozzle in for a neat water blast, but ran outa time (you know how that goes).

Since then, I have a CO2 cannon that's fired from a LOR channel and produces the same effect as a fire extinguisher pointed upwards. Went down to the welding store and got a bottom-siphon tank. Great effect, since no one's expecting it. Just gotta keep the valve warm to prevent freezing up. Let the shows begin . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Update of the Santa- mouth moves and head moves back and forth. Built a "skelton" and box (which will become covered to be a present) now working on the other arm to make it strum for guitar.

• 2 months later...

Christmas_time_karl_UK wrote:

A test of 2 characters with more motion added!!

Looks like your getting better at this animation thing. All your hard work is paying off. Great job! Was waiting on the cat to pounce on the penquin....lol

MikeH

Karl,
that is looking awesome!

Man that cat looks so real... lmao....

seriously, you have come a long way on this project, and it looks really good.

• 3 weeks later...

Karl, did you say you're using the DIO32 board? How many servos can you run off it? Any daughterboard req'd? I'm using a Lynxmotion SSC-32 controller board and Visual Show Animation software for my skull servos but I want to ditch them and move to everything under LORs control.

Hi TJ.

I am using a DIO32. You can run 32 servos however there are only physical pins for 16 on the board. If you wanted a full 32 youd have to add some extra wires for the missing 3rd servo pins. I am not using a daughter board.

Good luck! Already thinking about your Halloween display..!!!?

Thanks for the info on the board! I think I'll have to just buy one and try it out.. I really like the Lynxmotion board, for the 32 channels and ease of use but I can sync the skulls to the music and lights better with a LOR board.. next year is Corpse Bride theme.. planning on 8-10 skeleton/charactors in the yard.. 6 have to be full 3-axis.. already built, just need a DIO board and I guess the mods to run ar least 28 servos.. I love your props!! Very cool! Good job!!

Forgot to get pictures as the build progressed but here is a photo of the stage during testing with puppets just placed inside for effect. Still some lights and extra features to be added ;-)

Attached files 280217=15541-photoh.jpg