Light-O-Rama Forums

Longer Wireless Distance needed. Thoughts?

JHolmes

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHolmes

• JBullard

• Max-Paul

• caniac

JHolmes wrote:

No, before that.
The best advice I could give ANYONE about message boards is NEVER take any of it too seriously. This form of communication is lacking in the emotional aspect of communicating. Without being able to hear the tone in someone's voice you don't know if they are being serious or sarcastic. Given that you just need to let it roll!!

Jeff Millard wrote:

caniac wrote:
...Without being able to hear the tone in someone's voice you don't know if they are being serious or sarcastic.

... you can rest assured. The majority of us align ourselves with the above Bold Italicized word that is highlighted in red...

:D

Jeff
the point i am trying to make, most of us won't be kicking it into high gear until august so this is a slow time to be on a message board about Christmas lights. as such most if not all of us are gonna act silly, just a given. Come September it will be all business!!!

Jeff Millard wrote:

caniac wrote:
Come September it will be all business!!!

Nope, William and I will still be Sarcastic! It's in our blood. :cool:

Jeff
The farce is strong in you young Jedi!

Jeff Millard wrote:

Max-Paul wrote:
...for I am but a padawan in your presents...

...did you mean presence?!?

IE:pres·ence/ˈprezəns/Noun

1. The state or fact of existing, occurring, or being present in a place or thing.
2. A person or thing that exists or is present in a place but is not seen: "the monks became aware of a strange presence".

Jus' sayin'

Jeff

Seriously, you could only find one error in my post? Dang, must be getting better after all. :dude:

I have another suggestion, Aerocomm makes a Connexlink 900mhz spread spectrum radio that I use a work for various applications and they work very well. They come in different configurations and the ones I use are for RS232 applications. They do make them for RS485 applications and the advertised line of sight range is 20 miles. You can setup different network topologies with them too, such as point to multipoint. So if I'm thinking right Your PC would be the point and each site that you want a controller would be your multipoints. The only drawback is that they are more expensive than ELL's at around $225.00.

Here is a link to Mouser.com http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=spvkMH2CltLdl996Vgzurw%3D%3D

JHolmes wrote:

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up :)
I'll be sure to check out the specs for cases of extreme distance.
I wonder what the transfer rate is.

Up to 115.2 Kbps. If you do a search for CL4790-1000-485-SP you can find the different configurations and datasheets for each. Unforunatly the datasheet link on Mouser.com is broken.

I have worked with some Campbell Scientific data loggers and radio systems. There are a variety of radio systems out there depending on your needs and distance needed. I have some setup some to transmit over 20 miles. Line of sight is an issue but it can be over come with the right setup. I have even setup systems with modems to carry the signal over phone lines and then retransmit or download.

http://www.campbellsci.com/search-results