Light-O-Rama Forums

Longer Wireless Distance needed. Thoughts?

JHolmes

Greetings!

I want to transmit LOR data wirelessly but need more than the max distance the Easy-Linker can handle.

I don't have a specific distance yet (just "more than" what is available)
but I was curious to see what you all would recommend for both residential and commercial venues.

Thanks!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHolmes

• JBullard

• Max-Paul

• caniac

Guest wbottomley

JHolmes wrote:

Greetings!

I want to transmit LOR data wirelessly but need more than the max distance the Easy-Linker can handle.

I don't have a specific distance yet (just "more than" what is available)
but I was curious to see what you all would recommend for both residential and commercial venues.

Thanks!

Without knowing the distance, it hard to answer.

Not sure if there is anything else, but you could put another ELL in as a repeater to get the further distance. I think I saw that you could use one with an external power supply??? Dan would be able to tell you for sure.

Several ideas :

1. Wait for Artnet / E1.31 Support - I keep hearing its coming. Once Ethernet, you could use wifi, internet, VPN, whatever.

2. try some other RS485 wireless tranciever - http://opensystemsproducts.com/MODERN/Itemdesc.asp?ic=AIC0F-00&eq=&Tp= Anything that follows the RS485 standard should work. the "magic bits" occur beyond the transport layer (I THINK im saying that right)

While I have not used any wireless items, I have tried several other RS485 devices with lor, and not had any issues.

3. Probably the best method available NOW - Add high gain antenna to ELL. Maybe some signal amps. I have used a lot of amps and antenna's with 2.4g frequencies - and have gotten good range. Im not sure what frequency the ELL runs on, but I bet its 2.4 or 900. There are plenty of places to buy antennas and amps for both.

If only part of your setup needs to be wireless, consider some long runs of cat5 and maybe rs485 booster. Maybe a pair of rs485-to-fiber trancievers.

All this stuff is pretty expensive though. The cheapest would be to wait for option 1.

gizmomkr wrote:

Several ideas :

1. Wait for Artnet / E1.31 Support - I keep hearing its coming. Once Ethernet, you could use wifi, internet, VPN, whatever.

2. try some other RS485 wireless tranciever - http://opensystemsproducts.com/MODERN/Itemdesc.asp?ic=AIC0F-00&eq=&Tp= Anything that follows the RS485 standard should work. the "magic bits" occur beyond the transport layer (I THINK im saying that right)

While I have not used any wireless items, I have tried several other RS485 devices with lor, and not had any issues.

3. Probably the best method available NOW - Add high gain antenna to ELL. Maybe some signal amps. I have used a lot of amps and antenna's with 2.4g frequencies - and have gotten good range. Im not sure what frequency the ELL runs on, but I bet its 2.4 or 900. There are plenty of places to buy antennas and amps for both.

If only part of your setup needs to be wireless, consider some long runs of cat5 and maybe rs485 booster. Maybe a pair of rs485-to-fiber trancievers.

All this stuff is pretty expensive though. The cheapest would be to wait for option 1.

ELLs are 900 mhz unlicensed....I'd venture to say external antenna or amp becomes more of a pain due to cost. Pretty sure the limits for 900 ISM are 1W transmit power, 4W EIRP. So if $$ were no limit, might be an option.

The repeater idea is intriguing, but I'm doubting it...but would likely require 2 devices as a "repeater"..guessing a single ELL is not designed to be configured in a repeater mode, and not sure you can tolerate the delays with additional ELLs in a chain. I've always assumed the ELL is for a one to one or one to many type of config, no dailsy chains.

JHolmes..what kind of distance are you trying to cover...you may be underestimating what these devices at 900 can do for you.

I read that their max distance was 250 ft. But now I'm reading it is 500.
That may work but I'm not sure. We are working on lighting an outdoor center but there are not many places we can run wires.

Edit 1:

Wow, after looking up the stats again I'm seeing up to 1000' range!
So weird. I could have sworn it was considerably shorter.
Works for me :)

Did they recently update?

Here's another option: Mount the ELL with the antenna vertical (of course). Mount a piece of sheet metal 3.3 inches (1/4 wave at 900MHz) away from the antenna. This should reflect and thus double the signal, and also reduce interference. If you want to get fancy, get two old satellite dishes, put the ELL at the feed points, and point them at one another.

JHolmes wrote:

That may work but I'm not sure. We are working on lighting an outdoor center but there are not many places we can run wires.

Edit 1:

It's always been rated at 1000 ft. I have gotten further. I turn the power down on mine to limit the distance.

If by "outdoor center", you mean a place where people may be walking, then try to mount each unit as high as possible, I typically have mine at a height of 10 to 12 feet above the controllers (which are already approx 4 feet off the ground - so the ELLs are approx 15 feet above ground level)

Try to keep them away from other wires and metal items. They work in the 900 mhz band and I love mine. Been using them since 2007.

JHolmes wrote:

Edit 1:

I'll say it again...you've got a lot of options without having to cobble together satellite dishes and custom made reflectors suggested to gain you 3 dB. You'll likely get less than desirable/predicted results..

You want some height...clear of ground clutter as much as possible...good line of sight...the spec'd 1000 foot range is based on a certain set of assumptions, so your mileage may vary.

This is why "what distance are you trying to cover?", and some further detail, was asked a couple times.

Before you think you need any modifications to a standard pair of ELLs, test with what you have.

I wasn't thinking about modifying an ELL but simply buying a different unit.
Now that my knowledge has been corrected, however, I think the ELLs will work nicely.

This is all preliminary research so when I'm flown out to the location I will have already done my homework.

Thanks for all your help.

Right!` What Don said and more.

Most people if they are thinking about what they are doing will try to keep the LOS (line of sight) clear. But what most people do not think about is this. Picture a icecream cone. Now put two of them together so that the pointed ends are at the antenna of the transmitters. Now all depending on the radiation patter of the antenna, how big the cones become in the middle. What you want to do is raise the antennas high enough that the pattern does not touch the ground, buildings or trees. If the cone is infringed by buildings, ground or trees, there will be loss of signal strength.

Ok non-tech talk. As someone else mentioned, raise the ELLs up 10 or more feet above ground will greatly help with realized range.

Line-Of-Sight won't be a problem.

Are the ELLs omni-directional?
We are considering putting the computer in a Christmas tree and putting the ELL transmitter at the top of the tree. Will this cause a problem?

Yes, they are omni-directional

However, the max recommended length of Cat5 from the controller to the ELL is 15 feet. So, depending on the height of the mega-tree, may or not be the ideal location.

That's why I mount my ELLs approx 10-12 feet above the controller, staying within the specs for the Cat5 cable length.

You could be correct when using external power. I don't have my ELL manual at hand right now.

Well I feel honored to be able to be of assistance to someone from Stellascapes.

Say hello to Andrew (down under) for me.

Haha!

Flattering as that is, I'm not actually "from" Stellascapes.
I was the first official reseller of Stellascapes but they are a separate company :).

I'm from California :)

Well you have hooked up with a great company. Andrew seems to be hard at work on some new projects. Wish I could make down to Melborne (AU) in a few weeks to see some of Andrew's new stuff.

The vids on your LMM website are amazing.