Light-O-Rama Forums

Longer Wireless Distance needed. Thoughts?

JHolmes

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHolmes

• JBullard

• Max-Paul

• caniac

Well the whole Guatemala City project is just AMAZING.

I also liked the creative use of the house washes in the "Night Enchanted"

Fantastic :)

I'm glad you enjoyed!
We are going to be adding more music to Guatemala this year and flushing out the Wall-Washer show with some moving heads so there is more to come!

I'm glad you enjoyed :)

I'm going to take a look at your stuff now :)

JHolmes wrote:

I'm going to take a look at your stuff now ;)

Please don't. I'm a dang amateur with a small display.

That 145 foot tall megatree is unreal. The ELL will be transmitting into the next country if you put it on top of that thing!

Will you be using Stellascape lights on it this year?

Please don't.  I'm a dang amateur with a small display.

That 145 foot tall megatree is unreal. The ELL will be transmitting into the next country if you put it on top of that thing!

Will you be using Stellascape lights on it this year?

See my above comment.
Adding to that though, I like how you don't use EVERYTHING at once.
And the Ballagio lights are a great choice for vocals because you can keep it interesting with movement ;).

The ELL is homework for a production we are going to propose in Salt Lake City.

Currently, the Guatemala Tree actually uses Animated Lighting hardware........

Considering the tree has 1.5 million lights, switching to Stellascapes would way too costly (but REALLY cool if I could do it). The Guatemalans are very happy with their tree and the higher-ups are going to leave it as is. The one thing I'm requesting is more reactive strobe lights.

They are building 16 other 50' trees in Guatemala this year that will also dance so they have their hands full. However, I'm hoping to get some domestic clients that will try out Stellascapes. It is especially useful if you already have a tree and don't want to re-wire the whole thing. Stellascapes just layers over the current decoration like a Megatree.

JHolmes wrote:

My mother LOVES Bonnie M! Great music choice :)

Ballagio lights, sweeeeet ;)

My plans for this year is to do only Boney M music for the entire show. I have most of the Christmas music they recorded plus over a 100 of their other songs .

I might also use some of Liz Mitchell's (the Boney M lead singer) solo Christmas songs.

In April '10 I was lucky enough to spend a week in the Bellagio in Las Vegas

I've never seen the Ballagio in person but the videos look amazing!
Personally, I'm a fan of World of Color at Disney's California Adventure.

That is AMAZING!

Looking forward to seeing your 2011 work!

I look forward to seeing Vids of your Salt Lake City project!

And to see what projects Stellascapes does this year. The Orlando project and the tree in the mall in Melborne last year were great!

Of course, Andrew had his whole house and yard full of the Stellascapes lights this past year.

If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of their technology! lol

You and me both, friend :)

If you know of any shopping centers or municipalities looking to spruce up their festivities, send them my way! Even if they already have a tree - cause then they are a perfect candidate for Stellascapes :)

I have to fly out to Salt Lake City this summer to see the location because it is still being built. Designing a show for a place that doesn't exist is something else ;). The artist-renderings are not helpful in this case.

MikeH wrote:

Wow! Night Enchanted was awesome!

MikeH

Thank you ;)

We are looking forward to doing some pretty cool stuff for Christmas!

Plan to add 4 DMX moving heads to the pillars for vertical movement and then planning other expansions for 2012. Should be a great year!

Nobody mentioned the option mentioned in the manual as well, where you use additional ELLs to expand off your network of controllers--may work in some applications:

Attached files 246552=13416-ELL.JPG

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Nobody mentioned the option mentioned in the manual as well, where you use additional ELLs to expand off your network of controllers--may work in some applications:

So that would suggest you could do back to back ELLs, and create a repeater type of configuration.

I would assume they don't have to have a controller in between the middle two units...if you can power them, seems like that back to back configuration will work without controllers in between, just need to make sure you change freqs for every repeater pair.

DonFL wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:

So that would suggest you could do back to back ELLs, and create a repeater type of configuration.

I would assume they don't have to have a controller in between the middle two units...if you can power them, seems like that back to back configuration will work without controllers in between, just need to make sure you change freqs for every repeater pair.

But I would expect you would have to have some distance or on different planes so that the transmitting unit would not desensitize the receiver. And if I was trying to do this. I would put one on the lowest freq. and the other on the highest freq that they could be programmed to. I have no idea what the freq. rejection of these units are. So using them as repeaters might be a simple thing of just spacing them about 10' or if the freq. rejection is bad. You might have to separate them as far as 50'. Wish I had that kind of money to buy 4 units and play with them to find out the answer myself.

Max-Paul wrote:

But I would expect you would have to have some distance or on different planes so that the transmitting unit would not desensitize the receiver. And if I was trying to do this. I would put one on the lowest freq. and the other on the highest freq that they could be programmed to. I have no idea what the freq. rejection of these units are. So using them as repeaters might be a simple thing of just spacing them about 10' or if the freq. rejection is bad. You might have to separate them as far as 50'. Wish I had that kind of money to buy 4 units and play with them to find out the answer myself.

Still a lot of "speculation" comments in this thread.

The LOR ELLs are a very high quality transceiver.

I have set mine up in repeater mode, placed only a foot or two apart, and only separated by a couple channels apart, (out of the 32 available) with no interference from each other.

At least that has been my experience with mine used in repeater mode

You select your operating freg based on your local environment, to avoid 900 mhz cordless phones, baby monitors and etc. Unlike the LOR ELLs, most consumer electronic 900 mhz stuff has a very "messy signal", will splatter horribly. I usually try to stay a least 5 channels away from cordless phones and baby monitors. They are trashy.

Have you thought of using standard RS485 wireless extenders/repeaters? There are tons of them out there. Here is a link to one that may work with a 3 mile range. I personally have not used these myself but might consider buying a couple to play with..

http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/technologies/semiconductors/wireless-rf/rf-modules-solutions/802154-zigbee/Pages/5799077-SL485K-001.aspx

Have a good one..
Mike..

Last Thursday the OP indicated that the LOR ELLs will suit his purpose as is, with no modifications needed

Yea, this post has slid into the ditch a bit...:D

As far as Max-Paul's comment...if you're not translating freqs, definitely the case..need some isolation, and hence, some vertical separation for best results. But assuming different in and out freqs, I think you're ok. A little vertical separation would be nice, but thinking you wouldn't need much, if any.

So...if you're translating, assuming you can avoid all the other garbage on 900 ISM band, I think you'd be fine. I've run head-on into the crap that is in the 2.5ghz ISM band, and it is truly garbage..mainly security cameras from overseas.

I'm no RS-485 guru, but assuming xmit, rcv, and supply, you could break out the supply connections, keep the xmit and rcv intact, and have a portable ELL repeater. I'll defer to the experts on this piece, but don't recall anything else going on when it comes to 485 and what it would take to power these.

mike carlson wrote:

Have you thought of using standard RS485 wireless extenders/repeaters? There are tons of them out there. Here is a link to one that may work with a 3 mile range. I personally have not used these myself but might consider buying a couple to play with..

http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/technologies/semiconductors/wireless-rf/rf-modules-solutions/802154-zigbee/Pages/5799077-SL485K-001.aspx

Have a good one..
Mike..
Would be curious to see their design link budget before I believe the "3 mile range" claim at 2.5...and in one part of the sheet, they are claiming 6.

They show 63 mw xmit power, so guessing there are all kinds of caveats attached to that 3-6 miles (external antenna, etc)...

But..since for most apps, 3 miles isn't needed, or even 1 mile, maybe not even a half mile, if you can work the 485 interfacing, it would be interesting to see if they work..not a bad price. Definitely take a look at the data sheet..two different models....some differing specs. Mfgrs website has a lot of good info.