Light-O-Rama Forums

FM transmitter

Caleb Linburg

Amazn1 wrote:

I thought I would throw my two cents in here. I just recived the Whole House Transmitter and I am going to keep it. After I connected the extra antenna they provided, I tested the distance and it will do exactly as I need it to do. I put the transmitter in the garage, where it will be for the show, and drove down the street. I got a really good signal about 100-150 yards away, which is perfect for my show. I hope this helps anyone looking to buy a transmitter.
mine did not include an extra antenna and didn't work beyond ten feet. did you get it from WowLights?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• travis p

• Caleb Linburg

• Max-Paul

• caniac

Amazn1 wrote:

I thought I would throw my two cents in here. I just recived the Whole House Transmitter and I am going to keep it. After I connected the extra antenna they provided, I tested the distance and it will do exactly as I need it to do. I put the transmitter in the garage, where it will be for the show, and drove down the street. I got a really good signal about 100-150 yards away, which is perfect for my show. I hope this helps anyone looking to buy a transmitter.

What is the "extra antenna?" Mine also did not include one.

Just a note. Summer propagation and winter propagation are two different animals. regular broadcast stations you cant hear during the summer will be received during the winter.

I got it from the Whole House Transmitter web site(sorry LOR but they had free shipping). The extra antenna was in a seperate bag that said "this antenna not to be used in the US". It was 130" long and they told you to cut it to length based on the station you were transmitting from. With out the extra wire, mine didn't go much past 20 feet.

I have both the EDM and the Ramsey FM transmitters, got to have a back up. I also use the Ramsey PVC antenna. I use the transmitter most of the year to listen to LIVE365 when working out in the yard.

I stumbled across a site making custom antennas out of copper pipe. The design is called J-Pole, the company's website is www.jpole-antenna.com/

I must say this antenna out perform the other by leap and bounds. Did not have a single dead spot around my yard, sound was crisper, and I had to turn the volume down on my head phones. All this and I only stuck the antenna in the ground, can't image what it will sound like if I elevate the antenna.

Lee

i bought the black box 5000 about 2 months ago it comes with a antena pulg it in to the computer found a station that had no one on it use ever weekend as a radio station playing my music by the pool no problems at all love it

Guest Don Gillespie

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Figuring the length needed is 234/F (F being the frequency you're going to use), divide 234 by the freq and you'll get the length.

234/99.3 234/101.7 234/106.9

TJ I am using 90.1 doing your calculations it is showing me 2.597 is that feet, yards, or miles I am not very up to the minute on transmitters have just ordered the EDM-LCD-RDS-EP so I would like to know if I should be using an antenna?? thanks :D

• 4 months later...

Caleb Linburg wrote:

They are the same unit - CZH-05B

They are made by Vastec with different names on the case. Neither is really legal in the US, have supurious harmonics and other things that result in a bad signal.

If you are not worried about the price, then get an EDM.

Just my opinion

JBullard wrote:

Caleb Linburg wrote:

They are the same unit - CZH-05B

They are made by Vastec with different names on the case. Neither is really legal in the US, have supurious harmonics and other things that result in a bad signal.

If you are not worried about the price, then get an EDM.

Just my opinion

EDM all the way! I tried two different transmitters (Whole House and another one I can't remember now), and they were JUNK. EDM is high quality sound and easy to operate.

Caleb Linburg wrote:

I would love to get the EDM but I can't soder for the life of me.

Only three solder points - and they are big ones.

A local TV repair shop can do it in 30 seconds.

Here is the EDM assembly and operating manual for my model.

Attached files EDM-TX-LCD.pdf

Caleb Linburg wrote:

Caleb, there are only three small solder joints, and they are extremely easy. Touch the soldering iron to the socket and FILL THE HOLE with solder. It really is that easy. If you still don't want to tackle it, I know you could find someone in your local area that would help you. It's worth the small trouble you may have to encounter to get this fantastic transmitter.

Guest Don Gillespie

Caleb Linburg wrote:

I was just like you after was done I discovered a monkey could solder it it really is easy.

Don Gillespie wrote:

TJ Hvasta wrote:
Figuring the length needed is 234/F (F being the frequency you're going to use), divide 234 by the freq and you'll get the length.

TJ I am using 90.1 doing your calculations it is showing me 2.597 is that feet, yards, or miles I am not very up to the minute on transmitters have just ordered the EDM-LCD-RDS-EP so I would like to know if I should be using an antenna?? thanks :)
Don that would be in meters. There is more involved but 300Mhz is 1 meter. So, 100Mhz is 3 meters. But as I said there is more involved and so even a lower freq of 90.1 should be about 3.15 meters but the resistance to actual wire and the interaction of the ground and so on. The actual length is shorter and so 2.597 meters is correct length. Or about 102.25"

Caleb Linburg wrote:

Me neither, but even I could do this. I honestly could have had my 7 yr old do it. I have soldered only 2 times in my life before (literally 2 wires together), and poorly at that! No regrets on my part with this though. I trusted what others here had said that it was ridiculously easy to "assemble" this unit (assemble makes it sound like more than it is). All EDM's require some assembly. Well, EDM took the least assembly required approach. Have to solder 1 single part, and it isn't even a tough connection since basically all you have to do is let the solder fill the holes where the part attaches (see page 6 of this manual for great pictures http://www.edmdesign.com/docs/EDM-TX-RDS.pdf )

That is all the soldering required--pretty hard to mess up. After that, just have to plug in 2 computer chips on the board (just have to press them into a slot--no soldering). This whole process took me maybe 5 minutes, and 3 of that was waiting for my cheapo soldering tool to heat up and another 1.5 minutes to triple check the instructions! I have been overly pleased with this EDM transmitter. The case is metal and makes the transmitter feel very solid/rugged. I just used the test wire antenna that came with the unit as-is, and the sound is crystal clear and range extends through most of my neighborhood.

Guest Don Gillespie

Max-Paul wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
TJ Hvasta wrote:

TJ I am using 90.1 doing your calculations it is showing me 2.597 is that feet, yards, or miles I am not very up to the minute on transmitters have just ordered the EDM-LCD-RDS-EP so I would like to know if I should be using an antenna?? thanks :)
Don that would be in meters. There is more involved but 300Mhz is 1 meter. So, 100Mhz is 3 meters. But as I said there is more involved and so even a lower freq of 90.1 should be about 3.15 meters but the resistance to actual wire and the interaction of the ground and so on. The actual length is shorter and so 2.597 meters is correct length. Or about 102.25"

Thanks I am glad that I now know it is meters

Caleb Linburg wrote:

What EDM unit do most people here go with? I don't really know what it is called but the feature that displays songs on the radio. Which ones have that feature?

EDM-LCD-RDS-EP (RDS is that technology)

What does RDS chip included mean? Is it just a chip that snaps onto the main board?

Also what is the difference between the rubber duck antenna and the wire test antenna?