Light-O-Rama Forums

Dillema what would you do??

Guest Don Gillespie

Don Gillespie wrote:

All answers are good, just checking flights today and costs and travel time, these are outrageous, my wife is on the fence she does not want me to set up the display if we are going to go away,

You may find better fares flying into Philadelphia, and then driving the 100 or so miles to Harrisburg. Even if you had not planned on renting a car in Harrisburg, doing so in Philly and driving may end up being cheaper.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• shfr26

• jim6918

• MikeH

I know there are many funny answers to your question, but not sure you got the answer you wanted.

I schedule my all my shows for the whole season in November so I never have manually start a show. My show laptop is on a good sized battery backup so I would have to lose power for longer than 45 minutes for it to go down. I also disable all Windows and other software updates and restarts and disconnect from my network so there is no way for the laptop to reboot. I also set the power settings so the laptop never hibernates.

I have my FM transmitter on a timer so it turns on just before the show is scheduled to start and turns off after the show shuts down for the evening.

I often go out of town during the lighting season and have never had a glitch, except for one scare about there being no audio one night when I was gone from home. Turned out to be a false alarm.

I would feel comfortable leaving town for a week or so at this point and having the show start and turn off without me being around.

Guest Don Gillespie

jim6918 wrote:

I have my FM transmitter on a timer so it turns on just before the show is scheduled to start and turns off after the show shuts down for the evening.

Jim can you tell me more about the timer for your transmitter, sounds like a good idea, I think I am ok with going away, just pisses me off because the airfares at that time of the year are always higher.

how about all the pilots out there offer their fellow LOR forum members a break on flights during the holiday season LOL :)

I was interested in why you had your FM Transmitter on a timer and/or are shutting it off...unwanted transmissions??

I use a digital timer similar to this one: http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product/digital-light-and-appliance-timer.do

I use 6 to turn on/off my static displays, fm transmitter and my indoor christmas trees. Yes, I said trees, my wife has 16 trees to decorate the living room. They range in size from 2' to 12'. And another 8 for the rest of the house.

I think I got mine at Hobby Lobby or Walmart.

MikeH

Don Gillespie wrote:

jim6918 wrote:

Jim can you tell me more about the timer for your transmitter, sounds like a good idea, I think I am ok with going away, just pisses me off because the airfares at that time of the year are always higher.

how about all the pilots out there offer their fellow LOR forum members a break on flights during the holiday season LOL :)

I have a MBB 4000 FM transmitter and it is on a regular old 24 hour household timer. My first year I asked MBB if I could just leave the transmitter on 24 hours a day during the lighting season, and they recommednded that I put it on a timer just to give it some downtime. I dont feel it generates any unusual heat but didnt think it would hurt. The timer is plugged into the same UPS so I don't lose any settings if the power goes down.

Don Gillespie wrote:

jim6918 wrote:

I have a MBB 4000 FM transmitter and it is on a regular old 24 hour household timer. My first year I asked MBB if I could just leave the transmitter on 24 hours a day during the lighting season, and they recommednded that I put it on a timer just to give it some downtime. I dont feel it generates any unusual heat but didnt think it would hurt. The timer is plugged into the same UPS so I don't lose any settings if the power goes down. I am used to the transmitter being on the timer that if I ever start a show during the off hours (video-taping) or testing changes to the show, I panic when I get no audio until I remember that the transmitter is on the timer.

jim6918 wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
jim6918 wrote:

I have a MBB 4000 FM transmitter and it is on a regular old 24 hour household timer. My first year I asked MBB if I could just leave the transmitter on 24 hours a day during the lighting season, and they recommednded that I put it on a timer just to give it some downtime. I dont feel it generates any unusual heat but didnt think it would hurt. The timer is plugged into the same UPS so I don't lose any settings if the power goes down. I am used to the transmitter being on the timer that if I ever start a show during the off hours (video-taping) or testing changes to the show, I panic when I get no audio until I remember that the transmitter is on the timer.

Holy Crap Marie, how did I get two posts????

I wouldn't go to the wedding, not only because of the display but because it's just too damned close to Christmas. But anyhow, if you do go, you just can't plan every contingency. One that comes to mind is a GFCI trip.

jim6918 wrote:

Holy Crap Marie, how did I get two posts????

two??? I see THREE!!!! another Trifecta!!!

If I were to be gone during show time, I have my show PC set up with Logmein so I can control it from wherever I can get an internet connection.

I also have a live video feed using ustream so i can check in on the show.

I do also have a security camera system but I have not figured out how to set up the internet access on that yet.

Guest Don Gillespie

Jim6918 wrote (3 times might I add) LOL :P

I have a MBB 4000 FM transmitter and it is on a regular old 24 hour household timer. My first year I asked MBB if I could just leave the transmitter on 24 hours a day during the lighting season, and they recommednded that I put it on a timer just to give it some downtime. I dont feel it generates any unusual heat but didnt think it would hurt. The timer is plugged into the same UPS so I don't lose any settings if the power goes down.
thanks for the update looks like a good idea to be using even if I am at home.

garyfunk wrote

Didn't the dog eat your passport just two weeks before the wedding?
good one

Frank Picozzi wrote

I wouldn't go to the wedding, not only because of the display but because it's just too damned close to Christmas. But anyhow, if you do go, you just can't plan every contingency. One that comes to mind is a GFCI trip.

All my outside receptacles are GFI

Huskernut wrote

If I were to be gone during show time, I have my show PC set up with Logmein so I can control it from wherever I can get an internet connection. need more info about this and how it works.

I do also have a security camera system but I have not figured out how to set up the internet access on that yet. I have 3 security cameras running 24/7

jim6918 wrote:

I also disable all Windows and other software updates and restarts and disconnect from my network so there is no way for the laptop to reboot.

My old Windows XP show computer is set up to automatically log into the "lights" account, which will then automatically start the LOR control panel. I leave it on the Internet so I can remotely log in. It has downloaded a Windows update several times and restarted at 3a.m. In all cases, the show automatically started normally the next evening.

The only reason my show wouldn't run properly is a GFCI trip. But I do have neighbors who can reset those.

Guest Don Gillespie

Ok my show runs great, the one issue I have is when I go away I seem to be having trouble with the clock on my computer, the time keeps jumping ahead I have gone into the internet time zone and clicked update it fixes the problem, however the following day it is like 35 min ahead by the time I get up in the morning this is one of the reasons I do not want to go away I have had a computer guy look at it and he suggested going to the internet time zone and keep adjusting the time but this can't be right, any ideas, you guys who are a lot smarter on the computer than I am??? :P

Don Gillespie wrote:

the time keeps jumping ahead I have gone into the internet time zone and clicked update it fixes the problem, however the following day it is like 35 min ahead by the time I get up in the morning

are your minutes different up there in Canada compared to the U.S....

since you are running a U.S. made software...

sorta like km to mph??

Centigrade to Fahrenheit??

or just get up 35 minutes earlier before it is wrong...

:P

But seriously...isn't there a battery in most computers that keep the time? Maybe you need a new one..or was that just in older computers?

also...check this:

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/win-xp-does-not-keep-time/48774.html

jimswinder wrote:

Geez Jim - I don't mean to needlessly embarrass you, but everyone knows that the closer to the earth's pole you are the faster the planet spins... just like the way the water in the toilet bowl swirls at different rates in different places.

Guest Don Gillespie

George Simmons wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

Geez Jim - I don't mean to needlessly embarrass you, but everyone knows that the closer to the earth's pole you are the faster the planet spins... just like the way the water in the toilet bowl swirls at different rates in different places.

The comedy network called me and was wondering if I knew of any comedians looking for work I forwarded your names to them hope you don't mind :P

Jim thats what I have tried but it still doesn't keep great time what ever you do don't tell my wife as I got rid of the last computer because it also wouldn't keep time, obviously I am missing something with this time thing on computers

jimswinder wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
the time keeps jumping ahead I have gone into the internet time zone and clicked update it fixes the problem, however the following day it is like 35 min ahead by the time I get up in the morning

since you are running a U.S. made software...

sorta like km to mph??

Centigrade to Fahrenheit??

or just get up 35 minutes earlier before it is wrong...

:P

But seriously...isn't there a battery in most computers that keep the time? Maybe you need a new one..or was that just in older computers?

also...check this:

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/win-xp-does-not-keep-time/48774.html

I was having the same problem with the time moving ahead. I put in a new CMOS battery which cured the problem.

MikeH

Guest Don Gillespie

MikeH wrote:

I was having the same problem with the time moving ahead. I put in a new CMOS battery which cured the problem.

MikeH

Mike can you explain this to me, where on the computer is there a battery, this is not my laptop this is my pc at home thanks

Don Gillespie wrote:

Mike can you explain this to me, where on the computer is there a battery, this is not my laptop this is my pc at home thanks

Don,

Try this.