Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Prices for NEW Items

jimswinder

JBullard wrote:

I wondered why you were so hung up with 20 questions about the injectors- lol

One example that Dan mentioned was a mega-tree, say 10 strings at the same location area, then only one CAT5 cable would be needed.

Because I had NOOOOO idea how they worked!!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• JBullard

• ace_master

• ItsMeBobO

rwertz wrote:

Max-Paul wrote:
Sorry guys but the CCB will NOT have a cat 5 cable going to it. Communication to the CCB is via PLC (power line comm). This is the new way that LOR has come out with dealing with communication to the controllers. From what I have been reading the Cat 5 will plug into a injector. The injector will plug into the wall outlet (not controlled). And an extension cord will then plug into the injector and the far end of the extension cord will have the CCB controller plugged into it. At the controller the signal will be extracted from the AC Power supplying the controller.

At this time I am confused as to how many controllers can be controlled off of one injector. For some reason I was thinking that I had heard something about 2 units. But please do not take that for gospel.

Max, see Dan's post in this thread on Wed Jan 19th, 2011 10:44 am

LightORamaDan wrote:

You will need the injector only if you use the Power Line Control option for the strings. You can wire them via CAT5 as well.

The injector will handle around 10 strings.

Dan

Thanks for the heads up. Appears that I missed that post. About a week ago I heard about the PLC and nothing I remember was mentioned at that time that there was still the option to plug in directly to the CCB controller. Thanks for pointing out my miss.

Paul Roberson wrote:

dmoore wrote:
Paul Roberson wrote:
jimswinder wrote:

Seems strange then if you need to use a CAT 5 cable to use the injectors..like Mr Bullard suggested, why not just save the money and use the CAT5 ports in the controllers??

What is the advantage of the injectors?

I may not know what I am talking about, BUT. ; )

I would think the injector would plug into a wall outlet around your show computer with a cat5 (or maybe just USB) cable plugged into it from a aux LOR network from your computer. All your CCB controllers would just be plugged into an outlet/extension cord and the communication would take place thru your homes wiring. Communication to up to 10 CCB controllers thru setting up the injector and controller id's??

Otherwise whats the point?? If the injector has a cat5 cable from it to the computer AND you have to plug your CCB controllers into the injector. I don't see any savings or anything easier about this set up.

Can someone who knows (Dan?) post a link to an injector (if there is one) and exactly how it would hook up.

You can see in the following video the design that the CCB's are based on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAh1gg0u8Xk

That black box that is plugged into the power strip is the injector. Note the CAT5 plugs, they take the DMX/LOR signal and inject it onto the wire. I think once you see it in the "real world" you'll see some real advantages to PLC. Anything that gets rid of half your wires can't be all that bad - no?

So the injector does not 'inject' the DMX/LOR signal into the homes wiring thru an outlet. It injects the DMX/LOR singal into an extension cord that has to plug into the injector?

That would be correct - that is why Dan says no issues with X10 and other PLC devices - they are filtered out of the power before that power goes onto your CCB's.

JBullard wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
dmoore wrote:

So where can we get those Light Strings on the arch?!?!?!
Just order the CCBs from Dan

No...it appeared the ones on the arch were strictly Red, Green Blue and white...and certainly not C9's...

jimswinder wrote:

dmoore wrote:

That was a prototype of the PLC controller developed by someone outside of LOR - his design was conceived prior to pixels coming onto the market, though all the other aspects are nearly the same.

dmoore wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
dmoore wrote:

That was a prototype of the PLC controller developed by someone outside of LOR - his design was conceived prior to pixels coming onto the market, though all the other aspects are nearly the same.

Were the light strings a prototype also?

jimswinder wrote:

JBullard wrote:
jimswinder wrote:
Just order the CCBs from Dan

No...it appeared the ones on the arch were strictly Red, Green Blue and white...and certainly not C9's...

Any RGB pixel can make almost any color. I have never seen a RGB pixel that was limited to ONLY four colors. If he only sent the commands to produce only the 4 colors, then that is all you saw.

C9's ? Go back through this thread and look at the picture of the CCB posted on Jan 18. Those look to be 8mm pixels and not C9. Dan said they are considering offering both form factors.

I hope so, I would prefer the 8mm size and would not buy them if they were only C9

JBullard wrote:

C9's ? Go back through this thread and look at the picture of the CCB posted on Jan 18. Those look to be 8mm pixels and not C9. Dan said they are considering offering both form factors.

I hope so, I would prefer the 8mm size and would not buy them if they were only C9

Yes, but the key word there is "considering"...though I thought Dan mentioned they WOULD offer both

I would hope after seeing most of the comments on this thread that they would know that majority of us would prefer the smaller bulbs...

jimswinder wrote:

dmoore wrote:
jimswinder wrote:
dmoore wrote:

Were the light strings a prototype also?

The RGB strings have been around for several years. Lot's of the DIY'ers used the 8mm strings in their displays this past year, and other companies also sold the fully assembled strings and controllers last year also.

Almost every forum has dozens of videos with RGB strings used in 2010 displays.

There are two limits to consider with an Injector.

1) 14 amps maximum AC draw through the Injector.

2) Network bandwidth.

Rule of thumb: 300 RGB pixels (900 channels) maximum if you are manipulating the individual pixels a lot using LOR protocol. If you use a lot of macros, then many more RGB pixels will work well on one network. DMX is limited to 512 channels, so that would be 150 RGB pixels.

One correction: The CCB has two RJ45 jacks, no RJ12 phone cable jack. Like the LOR4P AC controller, it searches for LOR/DMX on the power line and RS485 interfaces. Whichever it finds first it uses until it loses sync.

Here is a quick drawing of the Injector and PLC devices:

Attached files Visio-InjectorDrawing.pdf

What is the LOR4P controller?

Are you releasing a 4 channel controller? If you are, all I have to say is it's about time! haha :P

Jeff Millard wrote:

John's Visio drawing has finally cleared up something I've been trying to figure out since first hearing of these wonderful new toys. It appears that the injector is an alternative way to provide data to the CCB controllers. Per John's statement here, the production controllers can either be wired into the network using cat5... or the network signal can be injected into the power line omitting the need for data cables to the controllers. Neat idea, but I've had no problems with data cables, so I'll just wire them.

Next question: Does anyone have a source for a 100' bulk roll of the 4 conductor ribbon cable they're using to connect these? I'm gonna cut them up and put the sections where I need them... Along the lines that outline my house.

Jeff

I used this wire. I also used these waterproof connectors to connect the lengths of RGB LED strips I needed around my windows and roof line.

heystew wrote:

Not sure how well it will hold up outdoors for extended periods, but here is some 18AWG, 4 conductor speaker wire from Monoprice for $16/100ft
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023904&p_id=4043&seq=1&format=2

I used that exact spool from mono. The gauge was a little too big for the small solder spots. But I liked having the four colors. My project was to cut each of 4 CCRs into 5 pieces and connect them back up into a matrix.

Redbirdruss wrote:

I was just thinking that the CCB's would look great on my indoor christmas tree. The possibilities are endless!

I was thinking the same thing, especially if we can get the bulbs with smaller "covers". I envision starting out with single color then slowly one bulb at a time fade to another color until the tree is a new color then move on to another color. I'd do it manually for a few bulbs then look a the XML and write a program generate randomly a new XML file to across 4 or 5 colors ending the the same state I started so it could loop. Maybe toss in "random" twinkles of white too.

Alas the budget won't allow me to do that this year, though there will be some outside. 2010 was my first year & I'm jumping in deep for next year.