Light-O-Rama Forums

Who is still 100% incandescent?

JeffF

Don't want to start a peeing match between the two camps but I'm curious who is still 100% incandescent? And those of you who are, can you see yourself ever going 100% LED? If so, what will it take(besides $0.50 full-wave strands!!!). :(

I'll start... we're 100% incandescent with ~70,000-75,000 lights this year. The wifey and I both really like the "warmth" of incans and whenever we see those half-wave house we vomit in our mouths(not each others... just our own).

For us to convert over we'll need to have full-wave LEDs that can be faded in the $2.00 to $3.00 per strand range(which is what incans are currently). About the only place I see LEDs in our future are C7s up on the roof. I'm getting tired of replacing lights that have had their outside color coating come off. :X

-Jeff

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• JeffF

• edvas69

• TitusCarnathan

About 1/4 of my display is LED the rest is still incan's

Will likely see the house as LED and all the custom display items as incan's in the next year. I've been nerviously testing LED's purchased locally to make sure that they fade correctly.

I was 100% incand last year, this year will be 90% RGB LEDS. but ive steered away from the cheap mains voltage LED strings but instead have opted for 12vdc LED RGB strip light for replacing the rope lights, 12vdc RGB LED modules for filling in the tiles and some 5vdc RGB pixel strings for my spiral tree and a few CCRs for the gutters and a matrix. The only incands left are a few wire frames. This year was a major light upgrade. I must say that im more than happy with the colour and intensity of the LED lights and really if going to LEDs then DC voltage is the only way to go if you want good dimming curves, no flicker and a safe workable voltages.

edvas69 wrote:

...and really if going to LEDs then DC voltage is the only way to go if you want good dimming curves, no flicker and a safe workable voltages.

Now that sounds appealing! No flicker and a good dimming curve would be ideal.

We have been moving quite a few of the lights on the firehouse and park to LED, and last year, people were amazed at how little difference there was between the two.

For us, some of the biggest motivation is the projected life span, and the lack of issues with loss of color. The life span is important for things like mini trees, arches, and our 3,200 light vertical poles that we really don't want to be troubleshooting the failed strings in place across all 10 of them, nor do we want to be rewinding all 32,000 lights every few years. They are currently still original, but we really want to take them to LED when we do rewrap them.

I have the same motivation at the house. I hate looking at faded colors, especially when they don't fade evenly, or when some percentage of the strings have to be replaced.

of all my light sets only 2 are LED's I would like to go 100 percent led but does anybody know where i can get sets that are about 70 +/- lights per string for about 3 dollars or somewhere around there I cant afford walmart at 7 dollars per string

100% incan's with the exception of two CCR's. Would like to go to LED, especially RGB LED but I can't afford to replace 50,000 lights with RGB LED's. I don't know how you guys do it.:)

We're 100% incandescent minis.

I'm in no hurry to convert. Right now there is no cost advantage.

Full wave LEDs are NOT cheap!
My electric bill only goes up about $48 with incandescent
and I'm let everyone else work through all the bugs. (ei:fade syncing)

I'm normally an early adopter, but LED just don't do it for me yet.

100% incandescent, not in a hurry to go LED, like others have said, the cost to savings equation isn't in LED's favor yet, but maybe some day. Actually, the only reason I'd consider LED's is because I hate the fact those blue mini's always fade, and peel.

100% LED from day 1...

I hated incans back in the 60's when I was stringing C9's on my mom's house.

Out of a few strings, ALWAYS had to replace at least 10 lights every season.

Then came the wonderful minis...where you had to pull out and test 49 of the 50 lights just to get the string to light up...only to have it fail again right after you strung it.

Yep...love LED's....

the vibrant colors, longevity, maintenance...

Cost?

Addicts don't care about cost!!! lol

Jeff Millard wrote:

If incans would color change I wouldn't be using and LEDs in my display.

Jeff

and if Pigs could fly, I would have them string the lights on my 50' Weber tree...

Jeff Millard wrote:

bisquit476 wrote:
100% incandescent, not in a hurry to go LED, like others have said, the cost to savings equation isn't in LED's favor yet, but maybe some day. Actually, the only reason I'd consider LED's is because I hate the fact those blue mini's always fade, and peel.

Ditto. I plan to buy 70ct LED strings from Paul in the spring to make small color changing mini trees. If incans would color change I wouldn't be using and LEDs in my display.

Jeff

Oh thank God! I thought I heard a rumor you were turning LED. :)

Jeff Millard wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Jeff Millard wrote:
If incans would color change I wouldn't be using and LEDs in my display.

Jeff

and if Pigs could fly, I would have them put the lights on my 50' Weber tree...

Do you live with a bunch of pigs?

Nope...just one...ME!!! LOL

Attached files 219512=12182-pig-thumb.jpg

Jeff Millard wrote:

Jeffrey wrote:

Oh thank God! I thought I heard a rumor you were turning LED. ;)

This is how rumors are started...

Jeff

the "rumor" started because of this post:

It was inevitable. Much as I hate the colors, I have no choice but to submit. I'll be participating in the CDI pre-order in January (If there is one...)

This is specifically for 14" tall tri color mini trees made from welded round bar. Can I please get your opinions on 70 ro 100 count strings? I'd like to save a couple dollars by ordering 70's... but what's been everyone's experience with the qty? Can you still get all the WOW and Pizazz with 210 total rather than 300 LEDs? Am I limiting that Pizazz to the point I'll be mad I didn't spend the extra money? Does anyone even have any 14" mini trees? These, and many many more questions are sure to come along. I hope my interest doesn't cause any physical health problems to anyone. Rest assured that I still hate the things, I just don't see any other way to fulfill my responsibility than by testing RGB LEDs (Like the way I blame LOR for making me change from incandescents?!?) ;-)

GS (Glenn Stewart) was the first person I saw who use these things in his display, and it was really nice the way they changed colors. I don't recall what he said about string sizes.

Jeff

Jeff Millard wrote:

So, in a round about way we've determined that pigs can in fact fly. Them lights didn't go up there and attach themselves!

**Touche'** lol

So, I guess from this we can establish that incans can in fact color change (using your logic) So, I'm off the hook. To heck with the LEDs... Jim says I can have color changing incan mini trees. To that I say, thank you.

**If you see your incans color changing...then you got yourself some mighty good stuff!!**

So I hereby amend my previous post to read: 100% incan, no LEDs.

Then you can't claim the vibrant colors and the cost savings that go with your incanled's

pikadroo wrote:

I spent more time fixing the very few damn LED strands then I did the incandescent strands.

did you buy the cheap (i Know...still more expensive than incans) ones from one of the big box stores?

Never had a problem buying them from CDI.