Light-O-Rama Forums

Chuck Smith Tread being locked

Al in Raleigh

Dan, closing the thread about Chuck Smith is not acceptable. I have thousands of dollars of LOR equipment in my yard and more potentially and want the matter answered. Several of my friends are angry about Chuck Smith being appointed to administer the LOR forum. Why was that thread censored?
Al

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LightORamaDan

• friskybri

• Dale W

• Al in Raleigh

LOOK out you might get banned or censored

Dan, I sent you a P.M. because I figured hay just giving some advice. By closing the thread you created a firestorm. Sense you want to put it out in the open about many P.M.s

(So now I get a bunch of PMs/Emails about this thread being shut down. This thread was serving no purpose.) You missed the purpose Dan of it and basically proved their point.

This is what I got from from someone that sent me a PM.

The big things that Chuck has done in the past that has caused most of the anger

1. Has put people in timeout without stating a reason for it.
2. Deletes or closes threads without giving a reason
3. Deleted users that are constantly criticizing things like Robin
4. Created secret moderators that could edit and delete posts or threads without reason.
5. On at least one occasion has actually turned off the forum to give everyone a timeout.

By closing the thread you proved Jeff's Point.

(We are going to make the change to a new forum. It is a waste of energy to debate because we at LOR have made the decision. ) Most could care less about the new forum. I look forward to the new FORUM. The thread was about censorship and shutting people up that was bringing up some concerns. I don't know Chuck Smith. So I have nothing against him but makes me wonder why there is so much anger.

I guess its like the Carlson thing. LOL> Did I just open another can of worms

Might have to go to the Philly LOR thing Just to see dan and jeff. :P LOL. Who's bringing the popcorn.

LightoRamaDan wrote:

Chuck Smith? Chuck Smith has technically been an admin here since the inception of the LOR Forums. He is the person who originally set up this site. Chuck is an employee of LOR and one of his roles is to help LOR keep up to date with web technology.

You forgot that part of the post Dan made in the thread.

Guest wbottomley

And those five reasons are dead on!

That's exactly what the older members are saying and why they are here.

I have two vbulletin forums and yes, they can be slow at times. But, it's a good upgrade unless someone changes my mind.

I pitched the idea to Dan well before Chuck got his hands on the database.

So for anyone to say he's the only one qualified to do the change because of planet christmas is completely absurd.

It's not the content or software, it the one who administer's it.

Dale. I think if they let the thread go, after a few days the thread would have died off. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Speaking of ROBIN. where has he been?? I miss his comments on here. He is still alive is he?

In this Forum the admin JohnWayne is Chuck. So Chuck has been an admin from the beginning. Chuck moved the posts out of PlanetChristmas to a separate forum for us and paid for the first 3 or 6 months because we were in a busy time. This system is not being maintained and has no reasonable filtering. We are spending 1 to 2 hours per day validating new users.

Because Chuck has knowledge of BB systems, and has access to people who can do the migration, he is moving us to the new system. We are trying to improve the forum by upgrading the technology. If this proves to be a mistake, we will move again.

Chuck has never controlled any posting or user deletion in this forum. He will not control these functions in the new version. Dan, Bob and myself are the moderators. In the entire history of the LOR forum, only one user was deleted -- and he was re-instated when he promised not to excessively annoy other members.

It is OK to not like vBulletin, and like I said, if it doesn't work out, we'll move again. The fussing about Chuck as an admin is unwarranted, he's doing the install, nothing more. Dan has isolated himself and is very, very busy working on something complicated. So he was a little short because he was being dragged away from it to deal with something that is really nothing.

I won't be closing this thread, but hope that the follow on posts will be confined to grousing about vBulletin.

Guest wbottomley

John, good points.

But, his access to people that can migrate the system over to the new forums... vbulletin does this for $150.

I did both of mine and it's not hard.

Just give it a few more hours and this tread will be full of LOR and Chuck Smith butt kissers!!! Oh and Dan will probably lock this one too.

Guest wbottomley

After speaking with someone close to the project, he's only here to migrate the new support forum in then will say bye, bye.

I can 1/2 way understand the decision behind this but it should have been researched a little more in depth.

I do know for a fact the only thing changing is the board software.

Let's see if this holds true and if it does, we'll be tickled to death of the new toys coming out.
:P

I hope it's just the back of house that's changing and not the front of house because this layout is so dead easy to follow and follow the flow. So I hope this doesn't change on the new platform.
It will be sad if stupid things start happening on this forum but, I think Dan knows better and he'll leave this forum to it's faithful users. I still use LOR Faithfully and will continue to use it for years forward. It's a good product and there are great people behind it.

Wow, wasn't trying to sound like a butt kisser but, that's what it sounds like... :P

Anyways, Let's ALL hope that this board stays 3 things:

Fast, Simple and Organized.

If it ends up like PC it will be sad... :(

-Evan

OK --- Off my rant box now... Off to put more PC Kits together :D

Al in Raleigh wrote:

Several of my friends are angry about Chuck Smith being appointed to administer the LOR forum. Why was that thread censored?
Al

The thread was censored because I thought I had explained that Chuck was only setting up the new forum and was not going manage/moderate. I believed that the true concern was that there was going to be a fundamental change in the way that LOR forums operate. That was a misconception and thus there was no real issue. The thread should not have been closed but honestly I was a bit upset at the rude and threatening emails and PMs I was receiving and just wanted the whole thing to end.

I tried to say this in the other thread, John has said it above and I will say it again. Anyone who is upset because they think that Chuck is going to moderate threads, manage users, etc.. in the LOR forums need not be upset. It was never our intention that Chuck's responsibilities go beyond setting up the new forums.

We can now put that issue behind us and move forward.

Thanks, Dan

aemnky wrote:

Just give it a few more hours and this tread will be full of LOR and Chuck Smith butt kissers!!! Oh and Dan will probably lock this one too.

?????

NWSanta wrote:

I hope it's just the back of house that's changing and not the front of house because this layout is so dead easy to follow and follow the flow. So I hope this doesn't change on the new platform.
-Evan

OK --- Off my rant box now... Off to put more PC Kits together :P

Evan,

The new forum will look very much like this one.

Down the road, there are features of the new forum software that we may want to take advantage of. For example: It may make sense to have a high level topic "Hardware" like we have today and yet have sub-topics for each of the different devices. That way if you have an issue with a CTB16D you can go directly to that area.

Such things are down the road and we will look forward to people's input and suggestions.

Dan

aemnky wrote:

Just give it a few more hours and this tread will be full of LOR and Chuck Smith butt kissers!!!

I for one will step up to fulfill your prophecy.

I appreciate what Chuck Smith did/does by hosting PC. Without it, I would not have found LOR.

I love LOR. It allows me to program my lights to music.

And if I knew you better, I would say something nice about you. So you will have to settle for have a great day and I can't wait to see the videos of your display!

LightORamaDan wrote:

NWSanta wrote:
-Evan

OK --- Off my rant box now... Off to put more PC Kits together :P

Evan,

The new forum will look very much like this one.

Down the road, there are features of the new forum software that we may want to take advantage of. For example: It may make sense to have a high level topic "Hardware" like we have today and yet have sub-topics for each of the different devices. That way if you have an issue with a CTB16D you can go directly to that area.

Such things are down the road and we will look forward to people's input and suggestions.

Dan

Thanks Dan, I've always loved the response from the users in this forum and you and your teams guidance as i've been learning along the way!!

-Evan

LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan

I like this idea! can it be a request to add it now?

jldavis1969 wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan

I think that we should make minimal changes "day one" but I agree that this is something that will be helpful and we should look to do it soon.

Dan

Seems much ado about nothing really. If you don’t like Chuck, then don’t read his messages, not that he posts a lot here. On the technical side, there should be no downtime and we shouldn’t really notice any. The new software should be setup, tested, and the data migrated to a separate database. Once it is all setup, a script should move all the new data and the new site made live. This would take less than 10 minutes of downtime and we will all be happy.

Some of us need to just let Dan run his company and make new products so we can have more fun.

My credentials are vast and I have been writing websites and website software since 1992. There is only a handful of people that have been doing this longer than I have. I didn’t make the Internet, I made the Internet better.

Now, let us all go back to having fun and making blinky lights.

LightORamaDan wrote:

jldavis1969 wrote:
LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan

I think that we should make minimal changes "day one" but I agree that this is something that will be helpful and we should look to do it soon.

Dan

I agree Dan, It should be a new area but it can also wait til the bugs are worked out of the new software.

I do have a question about the signature, can it have more that one image? I.E. the number of channel image and the number of lights image?