Light-O-Rama Forums
Santas Helper

How is your display take-down coming along?

dibblejr    375

I was able to move my Tune To sign. That's it. My yard is an official swamp

JR

JeffF    64

Spent 7 hours on Sunday and 6 hours on Monday tearing down the yard and it's about 70-75% done. House is still untouched. Probably another 20 or so hours to finish.

Santas Helper    815

Sorry to hear about many of you with rain hampering take-down efforts.

I for one would LOVE to be delayed by rain. We are so dry in Oklahoma (since September) and could use any kind of rain, or snow for that matter.

Good luck with drier weather moving in hopefully soon.

jfuller8400    15

I haven't even started yet.  With this week's highs projected to be 8-10 degrees and a layer of ice from rain on Christmas, it will be early spring before I can get everything down.

I got all the controllers in, the mini-trees, the mini-mega tress, plus all the tree lights in.  About 60% I think.  Still have the 3 spiral trees and the house.  Cold predicted all weekend so it will be a while before the rest comes down. 

saxon    91

Got everything that could be stolen or vandalized down, the rest is up high on the house and will wait for better weather. I know the rain is a bother for a lot of folks but it is a welcome burden out here - gladly postpone take down for the rain.

lightingnewb    30

"Tear down hasn't started for us yet... we'll wait until next weekend, when I'm not working to overcome our holiday absentees, to tear things down. However, we have been discussing the proper strategy for take down so (1) we have a quick and easy time, (2) installation next year will be a breeze and (3) so we don't look like mad men scratching our heads  (like cavemen stumbling upon an iPad), grumbling about our next approach to solving the problem."

Earlier in this post, Monday night specifically, I mentioned how tear down hadn't started (above)... I'd like to retract that. Due to huge winds and stormy weather, we were forced to take down some stuff and bring them in, otherwise we'd have a snowman rolling down the street, coroplast flying around the neighborhood, and a seven-foot PVC tree chasing someone around. All three of these were removed... when I say "removed"... I mean like minutes ago. Gusts were able to toss our 7 ft PVC to the ground. So, to those who said "wait for the storm to pass..." sometimes going into the storm is the answer... hahaha.

Vince4xmas    44

Last show was 1/1/17 and started teardown on 1/2/17 (50% done). Will wait for warmer weather to get on roof to take all the pixels down.

Now gotta wipe down everything and store inside.

Always get a little tear in my eye this time of year. But only 300 days till I start putting stuff up again!

Old Sarge    171

Due to 2 deaths in the family and coming down with the flue I have not even started my take down yet.

Debbie Reynolds was my dads cousin.

BryanZ    15

My last show was the 2nd. Once it ended I immediately removed the outdoor rock speakers and the Tune To sign. Just started the main tear down tonight. Will continue over the weekend. Hate this time of year. The real tree is still green and doing very well. Enjoying it while we can.

Sarge, our thoughts and prayers are with you. Never easy losing those you love.

dibblejr    375
3 hours ago, Old Sarge said:

Due to 2 deaths in the family and coming down with the flue I have not even started my take down yet.

Sorry for your loss and pray for a fast recovery from your flu.

JR

jtomason    22
32 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Sorry for your loss and pray for a fast recovery from your flu.

JR

Ditto..  Hope things get better soon.  

Santas Helper    815
1 hour ago, Old Sarge said:

Sorry to hear Sarge. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family.

Lee T.    3

Happy New Year, Everyone!  Just think--it's time to start thinking about 2017!

The wife and I took down everything today but a few CCPs on the house.  Too old for the roof stuff so waiting for the son to come this weekend for that part.  As some of you have already said, it sure looks dark out there now that the lights are off.

Old Sarge, sorry for your loss.  Hope you are feeling better and got the flu shot.:wub:

lightingnewb    30
6 hours ago, Old Sarge said:

Debbie and Carrie were wonderful ladies. I enjoyed their performances on the silver screen... Debbie made me laugh and sing in the musical movie "Singin' in the Rain;" Carrie inspired me through Star Wars. These angels were amazing idols and I hope you can rest easy knowing that these icons touched so many lives and will continue to affect many more through the coming years. I'm honored and privileged to have seen their work. I plan to share the beautiful fruits of their labor with family and new generations forever.

Old Sarge    171

Thank you all.

I did get my flue shot but I think I got the strand that wasn't covered this year with it.

Again Thank You All for your thoughts and prayers.

robigd    12

Got my entire display down except for my 150 pound aluminum tubing CCR tree. In hindsight, it was a terrible idea using that thing, lol.

HVACR    4

Came down much faster than it went up. Took down in 3 days with 2 guys helping. Thank everyone here for there help is making everything work this year. Already planning for next year. See you in OKC in April.

dibblejr    375

I was outside earlier this morning unplugging all of the faces with thoughts of taking down the display this weekend and one of my friends saw me and stopped by on his way to work. He took down all of the singing faces 10 of them and all of my cords.

All that's left now is the house and that requires me to rent a JLG. Going to have "snow" so this weekend is out, not figting that traffic nightmare. So will wait until one day next week. When Im up there I have a whole lot of measuring to do.

JR

It was a LOT more fun putting it up than taking it down.  The front yard looks so bare now.  Kind of depressing...

It's all down, most stored away, just a few items that have to be stacked on racks above the garage door and many of the extension cords that I'm waiting for a slight warmup before I coil them to avoid cracks. 

B.Y.R.G.    86

Looks like a break between storms for this weekend in SoCal.  Planning to get 'er done then........hopefully!  We have had more rain this winter so far than we had all last winter with the El Nino going.....go figure.

bobschm    59

After the great response this year (everybody says Merry Christmas now instead of "Happy Holidays"), managed to take down all the pixicles from the roof. The ground props can be done anytime, even in bad weather.

It was COLD on the roof! Should have made the penguins do that work.

Winter depression setting in as snow is on the way and no lights or music anymore.

Time to start bugging LOR for new software! Haha!

dibblejr    375

Now I wish I waited to take down the stuff. With snow forecasted it would have looked beautiful with the lights, would have reminded me of where my roots started. Upstate NY.

Forecasting for 3-4" possibly, that means central AL will be shutdown for a week.

JR