Light-O-Rama Forums
Scooch

Any ideas??? Pixel colors not correct

You you are feeding DC power from both ends, on the end that curves back is the positive wire intact, makes the curve and goes back? In other words does the positive wire start, go down make the curve and come back?

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

You you are feeding DC power from both ends, on the end that curves back is the positive wire intact, makes the curve and goes back? In other words does the positive wire start, go down make the curve and come back?

Both positive and negative make the entire loop of each circuit. 

Try disconnecting the leadout wires and run the butterfly.

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Try disconnecting the leadout wires and run the butterfly.

What do you mean by leadout wires?

1 minute ago, Scooch said:

What do you mean by leadout wires?

You have a leadin at the beginning of each string providing power and a leadout at the end of each string providing power. What is the effect if you take off the wires at the end.

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

You have a leadin at the beginning of each string providing power and a leadout at the end of each string providing power. What is the effect if you take off the wires at the end.

So only power the strings from one end?

Just now, Scooch said:

So only power the strings from one end?

Just to see what happens. This is why I don't use 5v, if they were 12v you wouldn't be having this issue as power from one end would be enough. General rule is 5v is good for 50 pixels and 12v is good for 100 pixels, you are running 84 so just curious what happens if anything.

My guess is he will have to inject power at the end closest to the camera, in addition to what he already has.

2 minutes ago, Scooch said:

Damn. That means cutting wires. 

Don't cut anything, can you show a video of how you have the ends wired in the PS.

Here is a similar diagram, ignore the purple clock line.

Power injection.png

16 minutes ago, Scooch said:

Damn. That means cutting wires. 

If you can shave the insulation off the +5 and ground lines on the near end, you can tack solder the extra power lines, so you don't have to cut anything!

Sorry. I keep forgetting to check public. Should be good now. 

Your power leads from the Power supplies to the bus bar must be a bigger gauge, or run additional leads  (in parallel) from the power supply to the bus bar.

I have never been a fan of those splicers that you are using.  Soldering is best.

Should have two bus bars.  One for each power supply - connecting only the grounds together between the supplies.

So it looks like you have the two power supply outputs tied together or what is called a redundant mode. These cheaper power supplies are not meant to be tied together as they wouldn't have the extra circuitry for what is called OR-ing, two power source into a single load. You may be getting a dirty power input because of the two tied together. I would recommend completely separating the two power supplies and run one side of the board and injections from one PS and the other side of the board and injections from the other.

Edited by Mr. P

16 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

So it looks like you have the two power supply outputs tied together or what is called a redundant mode. These cheaper power supplies are not meant to be tied together as they wouldn't have the extra circuitry for what is called OR-ing, two power source into a single load. You may be getting a dirty power input because of the two tied together. I would recommend completely separating the two power supplies and run one side of the board and injections from one PS and the other side of the board and injections from the other.

Is the problem you describe because of the continuous pixel string fed from both ends or the fact that both power supplies are feeding it?

Just now, Scooch said:

Is the problem you describe because of the continuous pixel string fed from both ends or the fact that both power supplies are feeding it?

I am going with both PS tied together. I would completely separate the two circuits and that may clean up the power source.

To me the lights in the video look like they are fluctuating due to inconsistent power. The butterfly pattern is there but the lights just don't act the way they should.

If the power supplies are tied together and they aren't exactly matched then each PS is sending out its current at a different wavelength which is resulting in dirty power. Separate the two circuits and feed each string off the same PS.

Your configuration was correct as it was set.  Put it back the way it was and get the power straightened out.

Edited by wbaker4