Light-O-Rama Forums

CC Pixel Dimensions

Ron Boyd

Does anyone know right off the top of your head, the dimensions of the individual CC Pixel. (see attachment)I looked through the manual, programming manual and the quick start guide and could not find it. I may have overlooked it though.

13mm (1/2"). The diameter at the key is 7/16". Beware - the barrel diameter does vary a bit between pixels (+/- 0.5 mm) down at the wire end as a result of the chip/wire/other stuff that is packed in there. These pixels fit the C9 faceted bulb covers from Ray Wu as a friction fit for almost all of them. I was able to "fatten up" the couple that needed it with a few wraps of teflon tape.

Thank you sir. I was trying to figure out what size of hole to drill in the PEX tubing and I could not find my calipers. They're packed away somewhere. I guess i could go buy another set, but figured I'd give it a shot here first. Now to start drilling the 400 holes I need. :blink:

Thank you sir. I was trying to figure out what size of hole to drill in the PEX tubing and I could not find my calipers. They're packed away somewhere. I guess i could go buy another set, but figured I'd give it a shot here first. Now to start drilling the 400 holes I need. :blink:

Your insane Ron.

Whatcha up to, Ron? Sounds like you may be working on some arches? If that's what you're working on, I'm wondering how you plan to mount them. I'm thinking about doing some CCPs arches using pex, but the way I mount my current arches (drive some rebar into the ground and slip the 1/2" conduit over it) won't work if the pixels are living on the inside of the pipe (pex, in this case).

Whatcha up to, Ron? Sounds like you may be working on some arches? If that's what you're working on, I'm wondering how you plan to mount them. I'm thinking about doing some CCPs arches using pex, but the way I mount my current arches (drive some rebar into the ground and slip the 1/2" conduit over it) won't work if the pixels are living on the inside of the pipe (pex, in this case).

Yep, I was wondering how I'm going to mount them too. I have to do a test run with a small piece before I drill all of the holes, to see how they will stay in.

http://store.winterl...ts-_p_6761.html

I used 2 of these this year for my arches. I'll purchase 2 more, attach the PEX tubing to the top, drill the holes and then attach the CCPs, (somehow). I tried the gray PVC and re-bar last year and could not get the arch to look like I wanted it. It was not symmetrical. I hated it. I purchased the 2 wire frames, attached the PVC to it, and then mounted my Rainbow Pixels to the PVC. Both arches were nice and neat and symmetrical. You can see the arches on the 2 videos on my webpage in my sig. They're on the right of the display.

Second: I'm building one of these: http://www.shannoncl.../CCRSpiral.html but with 2 spirals opposite each other and attaching another set of CCPs in it.

Third: using the other 2 sets I have, I will be mounting them to my 4 window frames. I didn't like the finished product (LEDs) of my windows this passed season.

My initial plan was to do the 12 string Superstar tree and a 16 string round CCP tree, with the CCPs doubled to make two legs out of one string. But, as I was working on a few sequences for 2013, I decided trying to do both trees would take a lot more time in sequencing than I wanted to spend. I'll do the round tree next year (2014) and will just have to add it to the sequencing, Everything else will already be there.

Well, that's the plan with my existing 4 sets of CCPs. Whether it comes to fruition, is another thing. Some trial and error on keeping the pixels in the PEX is my main obstacle. Maybe a dab of hot glue as a re-enforcement to hold them in place. We'll see.

Ron

Edited by Ron Boyd

For anyone wanting to do this, a 1/2" spade bit makes very quick work of the PEX and the CCPixel fits nice and snug. I still plan on putting a dab of hot glue on each pixel, just as a second holding mechanism. I plan on doing this, but my initial plans have changed. I will only be doing this for 300 pixels instead of 400. I found another idea for the other 100 on the arches. I'll be using this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_303969-89368-PS-ND-20_0__?productId=3652496&Ntt=edging&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dedging&facetInfo=

Thanks to Gary, here: http://www.holidayrgb.com/RGB-Lawn-ideas.html for the idea.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked